Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 18 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 10:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Two men in a boat

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Aug 18, 2013 10:32 |  #1

Hi, I don't do much action/sports photography but I would like to try some more like this one. C&C on how I could improve this type of shop welcome.

Michael

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/external link

ohhbekay
604 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Philly
Aug 18, 2013 19:42 |  #2

slightly faster shutter. and maybe not have both of their faces covered.
what gear was used?

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
One Mile Beach, NSW 2316, Australia
Aug 19, 2013 05:34 |  #3

The paddles in front of the faces spoil the action.... I am not sure whether it is DOF or motion that make it soft - may be a bit of both.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Lastblackdog
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Aug 19, 2013 06:42 |  #4

Thank you both.

The gear was a Canon 60D with a 70-300 IS set at 300mm. I was out walking and they came around the bend in the canal so I didn't have much time to think or set the camera properly. I had been taking some pictures of swans and ducks so the shutter was set at 1/400 just to stop camera shake and not fast movement. This is a crop of about 35% of the image captured.

I agree about the paddles blocking the faces. I managed to snap a couple more but this was the best one. I need to go out and get more practice.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/external link

502 views & 0 likes for this thread
Two men in a boat
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.