Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #1
dshootist

Default How many shots is enough?

obviously, in the digital age, it could be thousands during a wedding shoot, but suppose you were to actually formulate a number for each stage of the day? most people i've encountered like to hear large numbers when they ask you how many proofs they get to look at, but aren't nearly as excited when they realize that they'll have to sit around and figure out which ones to pick. so the question is, how many is considered enough?

ps-i've done some research online and the numbers vary quite a bit, hence my curiosity with this issue...
dshootist is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #2
cmM
Goldmember

Default Re: How many shots is enough?

depends on how many hours of coverage, and your shooting style.
cmM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #3
kampphoto

When shooting a full day of wedding coverage - ie 10am - 10pm or so I usually shoot the better part of 2000 pictures... once I go through and sort out the shots I don't like, or shots that are fairly duplicate, the couple usually gets about 1500-1600 pictures... of course those are all on CD i print them a couple hundred proofs dependant on the package they choose.
Kamp Blog

http://www.kampblog.com
kampphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #4
peterdoomen

Location: Lier, Flanders (northern, flemish speaking part of Belgium)

I take about 300, depending on what the couple has asked me...

but I'm willing to take thousands, if they want.

P.
Canon EOS 20D | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS + Hoya UV Filter | Canon Extender 1.4x | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 85 f/1.2L mk II | Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-f/4| Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tokina 100 f/2.8 macro | Kenko extension tubes | Canon Speedlite 420 EX & Sto-fen Omnibounce| 80GB Flashtrax | Manfrotto Tripod 190 pro B & Joystick 322RC2 | Lowepro Micro Trekker 200
PDFs: Make money with ShutterStock - Make your own Tabletop Studio - Glass Buying Guide
My ShutterStock Gallery
peterdoomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #5
staciecd

As a hopeful bride once day, I want as many as possible. I rather have too many than too few and risk them not turning out.

Stacie
Stacie's Portfolio Updated Feb 2008 | Stacie on Flickr

--------------------------------------------
staciecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #6
JeffJensen

We average 1200 for full day coverage, delivering anywhere from 400 - 700. I think we may be getting to the point that we're overwhelming our clients.
But -- What you shoot we definately depend entirely upon style and length of coverage.
JeffJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #7
tim
Light Bringer

On similar thread on fm, the average number of photos was about 100 per hour, which is about what I do. I hope to reduce this number as my skills improve. Remember not to underestimate the post processing time for such huge numbers of photos.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #8
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

As photographers we THINK we are doing our wedding clients a FAVOR(?) in giving them thousands of photos. Think again, guys'n'gals! Our daughter got married and was provided over 3000 photos, and it took them MONTHS to get the proofs (the guy had to postprocess them a certain amount for presentation, not necessarily fine tune to final quality level) and almost as long for the new bride and groom to look through all the photos and then choose!
Wilt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #9
tim
Light Bringer

Shooting 800 images in RAW, using CS2 I can have proofs done in 2-4 hours, so people can see their proofs the next day on the net. If they wanted printed proofs, and didn't mind paying for them, add 2-3 days.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #10
TSEE
Goldmember

For my BIL and his bride I shot about 700 photos that day and we had a reshoot with the two of them (lack of time between ceremony and reception to do formals of them so we decided to try again at a later date for some more) and ended up with about 150 more.
I usually just shoot away, better have to many than to few IMO. But I doubt I'd had out 1000's of proofs for the couple to look at, I'd select the best one out of each pose I'd done and the better ones from the pre-wedding, ceremony and reception and then let the B&G pick and choose which ones they wanted in their album. But that's just me and I'm new to this so take my opinion with a grain of salt. =oP

"All of us have photographic memory, some of us just don't have film."
"I hate cameras. They are so much more sure than I am about everything."
TSEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #11
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop

It really depends on your shooting style.

I heard for "newspaper PJs" it's customary to shoot 5 exposures of every scene. This can easily give you 5k of pics...

On the other hand the "classical wedding photographers" using medium format had it mathematically precise. 10 rolls of film. Clients get 120 5*5 proofs.

IMO it's harder to shoot less, and it's more professional to do so. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Old 26th of January 2006 (Thu)   #12
dshootist

Smile Re: How many shots is enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampphoto
When shooting a full day of wedding coverage - ie 10am - 10pm or so I usually shoot the better part of 2000 pictures... once I go through and sort out the shots I don't like, or shots that are fairly duplicate, the couple usually gets about 1500-1600 pictures... of course those are all on CD i print them a couple hundred proofs dependant on the package they choose.

what size are your shots if you get 1500-1600 on one CD? i give my clients a CD with each shot (usually around 400-500 for ceremony only) and each image is set to 4x6 at a resolution of 72 dpi. i'll crank out as many of the CDs as they want, but they wouldn't be able to get quality prints made. i've gone back and forth as to whether or not this is such a hot idea, but my clients like the portability of the CD and these days all of my customers have decent enough PCs with monitors capable of displaying good color.

BTW- i'm shooting with the 10D and my RAW files end up around 18MB after conversion.

i also forgot to mention that i go over the amount of shots that will be taken during the initial meet-n-greet with the BNG. this is usually determined by how long they've got me for. however, shooting photojournalist-style, i end up with more than originally quoted which isn't too bad because it allows for more to choose from on my end. mostly, i was curious as to what others did...

Last edited by dshootist : 26th of January 2006 (Thu) at 23:27.
dshootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of January 2006 (Fri)   #13
buffalophotographer

I generally shoot 500-800 for a full day wedding. I give the couple all the images in low quality so they can pick images for their albums then.
Old 27th of January 2006 (Fri)   #14
pyterps

I played around with some math one day and with an 8hr day of shooting and getting 2K-3K of shots one would have to take a picture about every 4 seconds. I just wonder what one would shoot every 4 seconds. I generally get 4-6 hundred images.
pyterps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of January 2006 (Fri)   #15
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Excellent point! I'm on the brink of going digital, so I'm still using medium format: 11 to 13 rolls of 24 exposure for about 8 - 10 hours of wedding coverage. By the time I end up tossing the shots that either I don't like or are just plain repetitive, the couple ends up getting around 280 or so very attractive, carefully selected, thoughtfully edited 5x5 prints, nicely presented in a preview book.

The fact is you DON'T want your client to see EVERY single photo you shoot that day. At worst, some of the shots will be just plain boring, while many will be simply uninspired and mundane if you are concentrating on volume in place of selective quality. You want your work to look its best, and I really don't believe you will be achieving that by shooting everything in sight with very little mental editing. You are shooting the bride with a fine dSLR tool, not an M16 set on full auto.

Selecting, editing and choosing your shots should take place in your head before you trip the shutter. Yes, I realize there's hardly any extra "material" cost involved when you're burning flash memory instead of film, and just providing CD proofing instead of real photos, but why do you want to bury the client in information? IMHO I just feel that 1000+ photos of the wedding day is just nuclear overkill.

Stop and consider: What really makes a better presentation to the bride and groom - (1) More than a 1000 ok images mixed in with some pretty good shots that will take a lot of time to review, or (2) just 200 - 300 carefully edited, really super photos that will really standout in the book?

I often have to phone the newlyweds a couple of times just to get them to return their final order to me in less than two months, and thats with less than 300 proofs. Why would I want to make this any more painful? Obviously this method works very well for me and your mileage may vary. But if you are not getting your orders back in a timely fashion, or if you are getting no reorders at all, then you may want to rethink your approach. End of rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt
As photographers we THINK we are doing our wedding clients a FAVOR(?) in giving them thousands of photos. Think again, guys'n'gals! Our daughter got married and was provided over 3000 photos, and it took them MONTHS to get the proofs (the guy had to postprocess them a certain amount for presentation, not necessarily fine tune to final quality level) and almost as long for the new bride and groom to look through all the photos and then choose!
sapearl is offline   Reply With Quote