FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 26 Jan 2006 (Thursday) 10:37   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dshootist
Joined Jun 2003
450 posts
if you tell me, we'll both know...
[MORE/SHARE]

obviously, in the digital age, it could be thousands during a wedding shoot, but suppose you were to actually formulate a number for each stage of the day? most people i've encountered like to hear large numbers when they ask you how many proofs they get to look at, but aren't nearly as excited when they realize that they'll have to sit around and figure out which ones to pick. so the question is, how many is considered enough?

ps-i've done some research online and the numbers vary quite a bit, hence my curiosity with this issue...

Post #1, Jan 26, 2006 10:37:27

Why yes, I DO shoot people—and they pay me well for it.:D

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
cmM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
5,705 posts
Chicago / San Francisco
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

depends on how many hours of coverage, and your shooting style.

Post #2, Jan 26, 2006 10:38:49

kampphoto
Joined Nov 2005
792 posts
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

When shooting a full day of wedding coverage - ie 10am - 10pm or so I usually shoot the better part of 2000 pictures... once I go through and sort out the shots I don't like, or shots that are fairly duplicate, the couple usually gets about 1500-1600 pictures... of course those are all on CD i print them a couple hundred proofs dependant on the package they choose.

Post #3, Jan 26, 2006 11:04:15

Jacob Oldenkamp
Kampphotography
http://www.kampphotogr​aphy.comexternal link
Kamp Blog

http://www.kampblog.co​mexternal link

peterdoomen
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
1,123 posts
Lier, Flanders (northern, flemish speaking part of Belgium)
[MORE/SHARE]

I take about 300, depending on what the couple has asked me...

but I'm willing to take thousands, if they want.

P.

Post #4, Jan 26, 2006 11:52:33

Canon EOS 20D | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS + Hoya UV Filter | Canon Extender 1.4x | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 85 f/1.2L mk II | Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-f/4| Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tokina 100 f/2.8 macro | Kenko extension tubes | Canon Speedlite 420 EX & Sto-fen Omnibounce| 80GB Flashtrax | Manfrotto Tripod 190 pro B & Joystick 322RC2 | Lowepro Micro Trekker 200
PDFs: Make money with ShutterStockexternal link - Make your own Tabletop Studioexternal link- Glass Buying Guideexternal link
My ShutterStock Galleryexternal link

staciecd
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2004
1,383 posts
Baltimore, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

As a hopeful bride once day, I want as many as possible. I rather have too many than too few and risk them not turning out.

Stacie

Post #5, Jan 26, 2006 12:08:37

---------------
Digital Rebel XT 350 | Kit Lens, 50mm f/1.8 II, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f4 L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS, 15mm Fisheye
Speedlight 580EX II, 2 PocketWizard Plus II
Stacie's Portfolioexternal link Updated Feb 2008 | Stacie on Flickrexternal link

---------------

sponsored links
JeffJensen
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2004
7 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

We average 1200 for full day coverage, delivering anywhere from 400 - 700. I think we may be getting to the point that we're overwhelming our clients.
But -- What you shoot we definately depend entirely upon style and length of coverage.

Post #6, Jan 26, 2006 12:09:13

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

On similar thread on fm, the average number of photos was about 100 per hour, which is about what I do. I hope to reduce this number as my skills improve. Remember not to underestimate the post processing time for such huge numbers of photos.

Post #7, Jan 26, 2006 16:23:35

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,482 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

As photographers we THINK we are doing our wedding clients a FAVOR(?) in giving them thousands of photos. Think again, guys'n'gals! Our daughter got married and was provided over 3000 photos, and it took them MONTHS to get the proofs (the guy had to postprocess them a certain amount for presentation, not necessarily fine tune to final quality level) and almost as long for the new bride and groom to look through all the photos and then choose!

Post #8, Jan 26, 2006 17:08:49

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Shooting 800 images in RAW, using CS2 I can have proofs done in 2-4 hours, so people can see their proofs the next day on the net. If they wanted printed proofs, and didn't mind paying for them, add 2-3 days.

Post #9, Jan 26, 2006 17:14:29

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

TSEE
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
4,961 posts
Middle of Nowhere, USA.
[MORE/SHARE]

For my BIL and his bride I shot about 700 photos that day and we had a reshoot with the two of them (lack of time between ceremony and reception to do formals of them so we decided to try again at a later date for some more) and ended up with about 150 more.
I usually just shoot away, better have to many than to few IMO. But I doubt I'd had out 1000's of proofs for the couple to look at, I'd select the best one out of each pose I'd done and the better ones from the pre-wedding, ceremony and reception and then let the B&G pick and choose which ones they wanted in their album. But that's just me and I'm new to this so take my opinion with a grain of salt. =oP

Post #10, Jan 26, 2006 19:16:34

-Sue (TSEE)
My gear list finally got too long to list under my sig.
"All of us have photographic memory, some of us just don't have film."
"I hate cameras. They are so much more sure than I am about everything."

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2004
12,309 posts
where the buffalo roam
[MORE/SHARE]

It really depends on your shooting style.

I heard for "newspaper PJs" it's customary to shoot 5 exposures of every scene. This can easily give you 5k of pics...

On the other hand the "classical wedding photographers" using medium format had it mathematically precise. 10 rolls of film. Clients get 120 5*5 proofs.

IMO it's harder to shoot less, and it's more professional to do so. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Post #11, Jan 26, 2006 19:37:47

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links
dshootist
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2003
450 posts
if you tell me, we'll both know...
[MORE/SHARE]

kampphoto wrote:
When shooting a full day of wedding coverage - ie 10am - 10pm or so I usually shoot the better part of 2000 pictures... once I go through and sort out the shots I don't like, or shots that are fairly duplicate, the couple usually gets about 1500-1600 pictures... of course those are all on CD i print them a couple hundred proofs dependant on the package they choose.

what size are your shots if you get 1500-1600 on one CD? i give my clients a CD with each shot (usually around 400-500 for ceremony only) and each image is set to 4x6 at a resolution of 72 dpi. i'll crank out as many of the CDs as they want, but they wouldn't be able to get quality prints made. i've gone back and forth as to whether or not this is such a hot idea, but my clients like the portability of the CD and these days all of my customers have decent enough PCs with monitors capable of displaying good color.

BTW- i'm shooting with the 10D and my RAW files end up around 18MB after conversion.

i also forgot to mention that i go over the amount of shots that will be taken during the initial meet-n-greet with the BNG. this is usually determined by how long they've got me for. however, shooting photojournalist-style, i end up with more than originally quoted which isn't too bad because it allows for more to choose from on my end. mostly, i was curious as to what others did...

Post #12, Jan 26, 2006 23:20:16 as a reply to kampphoto's post 12 hours earlier.

Why yes, I DO shoot people—and they pay me well for it.:D

buffalophotographer
Joined Dec 2005
306 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I generally shoot 500-800 for a full day wedding. I give the couple all the images in low quality so they can pick images for their albums then.

Post #13, Jan 27, 2006 01:11:57

1Ds2 , 1d2n , 5d , / 24-70 f2.8 / 70-200 f2.8 , 28-300 IS / 50mm f1.4 / 85mm f1.8 / 15mm Fisheye / 14mm Sigma / -----Kodak 14n /

pyterps
Joined Dec 2004
637 posts
Washington, DC
[MORE/SHARE]

I played around with some math one day and with an 8hr day of shooting and getting 2K-3K of shots one would have to take a picture about every 4 seconds. I just wonder what one would shoot every 4 seconds. I generally get 4-6 hundred images.

Post #14, Jan 27, 2006 19:52:34

1DS MK III, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 24-70 F2.8L, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 1.4 TC, Canon 580 EX, and lots of other stuff.

sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Excellent point! I'm on the brink of going digital, so I'm still using medium format: 11 to 13 rolls of 24 exposure for about 8 - 10 hours of wedding coverage. By the time I end up tossing the shots that either I don't like or are just plain repetitive, the couple ends up getting around 280 or so very attractive, carefully selected, thoughtfully edited 5x5 prints, nicely presented in a preview book.

The fact is you DON'T want your client to see EVERY single photo you shoot that day. At worst, some of the shots will be just plain boring, while many will be simply uninspired and mundane if you are concentrating on volume in place of selective quality. You want your work to look its best, and I really don't believe you will be achieving that by shooting everything in sight with very little mental editing. You are shooting the bride with a fine dSLR tool, not an M16 set on full auto.

Selecting, editing and choosing your shots should take place in your head before you trip the shutter. Yes, I realize there's hardly any extra "material" cost involved when you're burning flash memory instead of film, and just providing CD proofing instead of real photos, but why do you want to bury the client in information? IMHO I just feel that 1000+ photos of the wedding day is just nuclear overkill.

Stop and consider: What really makes a better presentation to the bride and groom - (1) More than a 1000 ok images mixed in with some pretty good shots that will take a lot of time to review, or (2) just 200 - 300 carefully edited, really super photos that will really standout in the book?

I often have to phone the newlyweds a couple of times just to get them to return their final order to me in less than two months, and thats with less than 300 proofs. Why would I want to make this any more painful? Obviously this method works very well for me and your mileage may vary. But if you are not getting your orders back in a timely fashion, or if you are getting no reorders at all, then you may want to rethink your approach. End of rant.

Wilt wrote:
As photographers we THINK we are doing our wedding clients a FAVOR(?) in giving them thousands of photos. Think again, guys'n'gals! Our daughter got married and was provided over 3000 photos, and it took them MONTHS to get the proofs (the guy had to postprocess them a certain amount for presentation, not necessarily fine tune to final quality level) and almost as long for the new bride and groom to look through all the photos and then choose!

Post #15, Jan 27, 2006 20:33:04 as a reply to Wilt's post 1 day earlier.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,783 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many shots is enough?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES