Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #1
Frugaltravelguy

Default why no IPX rating?

Why does Canon and for that matter Nikon not rate their cameras with a IPX for the weather sealing? Like Olympus rates their OM-D IPX1 I know its lame but the specs are still better:
Olympus: Equivalent to IEC Standard publication 529 IPX1
Temperature 0 C - 40 C (operation)/ 20 C - 60 C (storage)
Humidity 30% - 90% (operation)/10% - 90% (storage)

Canon 5D mark III : No IPX rating
Working Temperature Range 0-40C

Working Humidity Range
85% or less
Frugaltravelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #2
Frugaltravelguy

Default Re: why no IPX rating?

please don't reply with nonsense of Canon or Nikon don't want to get sued. Garmin has great devices rated all the way IPX7 it is beyond me why a Pro camera not even the 1DX have a proper IPX rating.
Frugaltravelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #3
District_History_Fan
Goldmember

Probably because however water tight they make the camera, battery doors, card slots and lens mounts are opened by the user. Their warranty claims for water ingress would go thru the ceiling due to users changing lenses, batteries or cards in wet conditions and they know it. Based on this, they just cop out and get away building inferior products.

I just bought a $150 handheld 2 meter radio. It is submersible. The radio maker faces the same basic user problems that Canon does.
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #4
MakisM1
Goldmember

If they told you IP40 would you be ok?
MakisM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2013 (Tue)   #5
Stone 13

I'm sure the beancounters at Canon would shudder at the thought of some yahoo dumping his 5DIII in a tub of water with a stopwatch. You all know it would happen

If Canon advertises an IPX rating, then they have to stand behind and warranty that IPX rating. DSLRs are essentially computers, the enemy is heat and to completely seal the body to meet IPX standards would probably be a nightmare in regards to cooling the internals.

Plus they sell just fine without it....

5D III gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

Last edited by Stone 13 : 27th of August 2013 (Tue) at 23:56.
Stone 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #6
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

There's no need to "stand by" an IP rating. Even if they would rate the cameras as IP67, they can still state that such a rating assumes a perfectly static water pressure. You are likely to have moved your camera, so it doesn't apply in your particular case, when your camera became full of water because of you swimming with it.
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #7
BigAl007
Goldmember

I do not see how any interchangable lens camera manufacturer can offer an IPX rating, what with the big hole in the front for fitting the lens. The IPX rating would have to depend on the lens fitted to the camera. That would mean having to list every possible lens that could be fitted. What about the minor variations in lens designs that no not rate a change in model number? What about non Canon manufactured lenses? I know I would not want to have to meet those challenges with such a large system as Canon has with the current EOS system.

Maybe if thet introduce a new mount system, with both lenses and bodies designed with enviromental sealing considered then building to IPX ratings would be feaisable. At the least you would not need to worry about backwards compatablity.

Alan
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #8
Shane W

The vast majority of dslr buyers have no need for such a waterproof camera. Those that do, buy housings specifically designed for a very wet shooting environment. If the market was demanding such sealing, the camera makers would be offering water resistant cameras beyond some point and shoot models currently offered.

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 | EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr
Shane W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #9
Higgs Boson

what i want to know is "why no horsepower rating?"
what I want to know is "why no API rating?"
what I want to know is "why no crash test?"

sometimes I wish my cameras were military grade weaponry. sometimes I wish my car could fly. sometimes I wish my thought processes were steeped in reality. sometimes I wish my iq was over 80.
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #10
Higgs Boson

but seriously, why would a company spend money testing and getting ratings and certifications for things that are completely unnecessary?

does your house have an IPX rating? does your couch? does your car? what's the point?

they don't do it because they won't sell a single extra camera because of it. that's why.
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #11
Shane W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
but seriously, why would a company spend money testing and getting ratings and certifications for things that are completely unnecessary?

does your house have an IPX rating? does your couch? does your car? what's the point?

they don't do it because they won't sell a single extra camera because of it. that's why.
What he said! ^^^

I have to say... that's some funny ****, Higgs!

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 | EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr
Shane W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #12
lsquare

Quote:
Originally Posted by District_History_Fan View Post
Probably because however water tight they make the camera, battery doors, card slots and lens mounts are opened by the user. Their warranty claims for water ingress would go thru the ceiling due to users changing lenses, batteries or cards in wet conditions and they know it. Based on this, they just cop out and get away building inferior products.

I just bought a $150 handheld 2 meter radio. It is submersible. The radio maker faces the same basic user problems that Canon does.
Garmin units have battery doors as well and yet it's rated to IPX7.
lsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #13
lsquare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl007 View Post
I do not see how any interchangable lens camera manufacturer can offer an IPX rating, what with the big hole in the front for fitting the lens. The IPX rating would have to depend on the lens fitted to the camera. That would mean having to list every possible lens that could be fitted. What about the minor variations in lens designs that no not rate a change in model number? What about non Canon manufactured lenses? I know I would not want to have to meet those challenges with such a large system as Canon has with the current EOS system.

Maybe if thet introduce a new mount system, with both lenses and bodies designed with enviromental sealing considered then building to IPX ratings would be feaisable. At the least you would not need to worry about backwards compatablity.

Alan
Then there's also the expense required to make such a camera to meet those criteria. Not to mention that the camera may end up being heavier and bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane W View Post
The vast majority of dslr buyers have no need for such a waterproof camera. Those that do, buy housings specifically designed for a very wet shooting environment. If the market was demanding such sealing, the camera makers would be offering water resistant cameras beyond some point and shoot models currently offered.
It's not that we don't want a waterproof camera, but that it may not be practical from Canon/Nikon's POV because it'll be more expensive and might lead to a bigger camera.
lsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #14
AJSJones
Goldmember

Well, my computer has an IPX rating.

No, wait, that's something to do with the screen technology - forget that
Old 28th of August 2013 (Wed)   #15
smasraum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSJones View Post
Well, my computer has an IPX rating.

No, wait, that's something to do with the screen technology - forget that
Are you sure it's not the IPX which is an older, essentially obsolete network protocol which is left over from the days when Novell had a chance?

Canon AE-1 Program w/ Canon 50mm 1.4 and 70-210
smasraum is offline   Reply With Quote