Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 17 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 22:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Alien Bee + EX 430 wireless

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Sep 17, 2013 22:52 |  #1

So I am getting into portraiture, wedding photography and other situations in which I would like to use off camera flash. Here is what I want to do:

I have a 430exII and I want to get an alien bee b800. I want both to be off camera - ideally the 430 being the fill/catch light and the alien bee being the main light.

I would like to fire both wireless. I do not mind walking around and changing the settings manually so ttl is not required. However, I would like to have shutter speeds great than 1/250th so I think TTL is a must. Even then - can the b800 sync to fast than that or just the 430?

Thoughts?

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Austin.Manny
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Sep 18, 2013 03:53 |  #2

You won't be able to use the AB800 higher than your sync speed, and using the 430exII above the sync speed will greatly reduce its power. Your best bet is to look into other ways of getting what you need. If you need a high shutter speed because you want a large aperture, look into Neutral Density filters. If you need a high shutter speed to freeze action, then underexpose ambient and flash will freeze them. High-Sync-Speed (HSS) flash is rarely the best case.

450D Gripped | Σ 30 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 18-55 IS
LumoPro LP180 | Yongnuo YN-460 |
RF-602

Flickrexternal link

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,415 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
Sep 18, 2013 08:35 |  #3

You can work around that sync speed with POCKETWIZARD TTL stuff, and I'm sure some of the lesser-name triggers can as well...

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Sep 18, 2013 09:55 |  #4

Austin.Manny wrote in post #16305914external link
You won't be able to use the AB800 higher than your sync speed, and using the 430exII above the sync speed will greatly reduce its power. Your best bet is to look into other ways of getting what you need. If you need a high shutter speed because you want a large aperture, look into Neutral Density filters. If you need a high shutter speed to freeze action, then underexpose ambient and flash will freeze them. High-Sync-Speed (HSS) flash is rarely the best case.

I realized last night that an ND filter would be the simplest and cheapest solution. I mainly want the fast shutter speed for larger aperture in a sunset/sunny environment.

I think the ND filter plus the Radio Popper JRX system is what I am going to go for.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

TheAnt
Goldmember
1,384 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Boston, MA
Sep 18, 2013 11:27 |  #5

You are aware that you'll need to purchased teh RPCube to use triggers with your 430 EX II, correct? It does not have an input for triggers. However, if you're crafty there are modifications you can make to the flash...

I customized mine about three years ago to add a 1/8" jack to use wireless triggers with it.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Sep 18, 2013 11:37 |  #6

TheAnt wrote in post #16306634external link
You are aware that you'll need to purchased teh RPCube to use triggers with your 430 EX II, correct? It does not have an input for triggers. However, if you're crafty there are modifications you can make to the flash...

I customized mine about three years ago to add a 1/8" jack to use wireless triggers with it.

Why does it have to be an RPCube? :confused:
Or are you using RPCube as a generic term to mean a hotshoe adapter?

...Leo

Mesmer
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Sep 18, 2013 12:01 |  #7

PacAce wrote in post #16306672external link
Why does it have to be an RPCube? :confused:
Or are you using RPCube as a generic term to mean a hotshoe adapter?

I have a 430 EXII and fire it with Pixel Kings along with my Einstein with no problems.

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | 35 1.4 | 85L II | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | E640 | (2) 580ex ii | 430ex ii

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Sep 18, 2013 12:46 |  #8

TheAnt wrote in post #16306634external link

To adjust it remotely I am getting it any way. The JrX system is on sale right now and it seems like the soloution for me as it is cheap, simple and small.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alien Bee + EX 430 wireless
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.