Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 18 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 11:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Howdy from south Alabama, USA

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Sep 18, 2013 11:03 |  #1

Howdy from a rank newb to DSLRs. I was a hobbiest back in the late 70's thru 90's using an old, but trusty manual Minolta SRT201. When film started giving way to digital I had to move to the point-and-shoot realm of things due to economics...I went with Canon's the whole time. A couple of weeks ago I finally managed to purchase my first DSLR.... just a T2i with an 18-135mm EF-S and battery grip. Man it feels good to have a substantial camera body back in my hands!!! :D But, moving from a camera that basically had about as many settings as I have fingers on one hand to the T2i...WOW, talk about a learning curve...but I'm enjoying it! :D

A side note is that I first got interested in photography back in the early 70's when I received an old Kodak camera from my grandmother's belongings. It was an old "Six-20 Kodak". No such thing as the internet or email (to commoners, anyhow) so I penned a letter inquiring about the camaeras history, stuck a stamp on it, and mailed it to Kodak. A couple of weeks later I recevied a very thick package from Kodak that required six or seven dollars worth of postage (1970's postal rates!). Inside the package was a nice letter telling me that the camera was a pre-WWII camera, etc.,. But, what they did was include probably 10 or 12 of the "Here's How" series of booklets...a goldmine for a kid!!! I actually used the Six-20 to start my photography hobby...light leaks and all! That seems like a hundred years ago, now. :)

Anyhow, I've got a LOT of catching up to do. I'm down here in south Alabama, USA, so we don't really have mountains and waterfalls or ocean fronts or big open vistas...but I'm sure I'll come up with something! ;)

Best wishes,
Ed

It's old and dusty, been sitting on a top shelf for the last twenty years, but...

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

_20130918_4845a (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

www.beeweather.comexternal link

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,897 posts
Joined May 2007
SF Bay Area
Sep 18, 2013 15:31 |  #2

Welcome to POTN, Ed!

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Sep 18, 2013 15:35 |  #3

Welcome to POTN Ed.
Have a look at the following thread, these guys do good stuff with a T2i/550d
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?t=1276930&highlig​ht=T2i

Dutch

Bas
Flickrexternal link

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Sep 18, 2013 17:03 as a reply to DutchinCLE's post |  #4

Thanks for the welcom js and Dutch.

:shock: Dutch, that isn't a thread...that's an epic camera saga!!! Ok, I'm inching my way through the Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8 thread so I'll add this one to it....who needs sleep! :lol:

I've got a 50mm/f1.8 metal mount and an 18-135mm zoom to start out with. I purchased a bag of Nikon stuff from a guy right at the end of my film camera days (great timing, eh? :rolleyes:) and it has an old but clean Nikon 35mm/f3.5 and a Tamron 500mm/f8 SP telephoto in it. I'm really interested in the field of view of the 35mm Nikon...not sure how the speed will work out, though. I did try the 500mm last night with a quick, walk outside and handshoot the moon...it worked pretty good, I'll try it again when the moon starts waning and with a tripod. The abilities of the T2i amaze me. This is gonna be fun! ;)

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Ice ­ Can-Am
311 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Iceland
Sep 20, 2013 14:50 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #5

Welcome to the site.

My FLickrexternal link
Northern Light Catcherexternal link
500PXexternal link
Canon EOS 5D Mark III - EF 16-35 F/2.8L II USM - EF 50mm F/1.8 II - RC-6 Remote Controller and Camlink TPCARBON28 tripod.

533 views & 0 likes for this thread
Howdy from south Alabama, USA
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.