Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 02 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 12:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How do you find your locations?

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Oct 02, 2013 12:05 |  #1

• How do you guys find your on location spots? Do you drive/walk around specifically looking for places?
  • Do you just happen upon them when shooting other things? Do you use google maps?
  • How often do you find "new" places?
  • What are some unique ideas you have for cool locations?

I love to drive so often times I just take my camera and go for a drive and mentally note good places.

I am just starting to get in to portrait photography and I am curious as to what you guys look for in a location. Obviously places that are pleasing but I think it may help for people to hear what others do regarding location selection.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,504 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Oct 02, 2013 15:25 |  #2

Public parks are easy to find on the web, private property takes a little more effort and the ability to gain permission. I personally just always keep my eyes open....as of now, I know of plenty of good locations and rarely ever go out in search of new.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Oct 03, 2013 12:41 as a reply to jra's post |  #3

I do a combo, if I am headed to a new area I will do as much scouting on Google earth and Google images as I can (I do this for landscape shooting and looking for portrait type places). I also always have my eyes open while driving around.

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Oct 03, 2013 12:52 |  #4

All of the above man, I keep pics on my phone or computer with addresses labeled on them.

In a place like New York City though...everything looks the same. Cars and buildings...I don't know what to do since I like more nature style backgrounds.

sirquack
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Oct 29, 2013 13:41 |  #5

I am actually beginning my process today of cataloging locations. I am just starting out my photography career by doing free/low cost shoots for family and event photos. I had a family ask for a specific feel for their family shots and I have a few locations in my head that I think will work, but they said they would like to see the locations before deciding. So tonight, I am going to do a little recon and take photos of the spots in question and put them on a photo sharing site so they can see the locations without me trying to describe them. I am also going to do the same for the privately owned locations I have access too. I had not thought of it until today since the person was a little bit picky and wouldn't decide where she wanted to go until seeing the location images. It might also help me in not wasting time going someplace that they end up hating.
As far as how I find locations, I do most of the driving in my family and if I think I want to check a place out, I just take whatever detour I need to in order to take a look at the location. If it works out as a possible location, now I will stop and take some demo pictures of the location and add it to my list.

Name is Ron.
Camera Bodies - T3i/(6D/7D2)-Gripped : Light - Yongnuo 565 EX/Mettle 600 Strobe
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Flickr (external link)
Edit photos as needed

devidjohn
88 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Dec 18, 2013 05:19 |  #6

Google map is best. if you are unable to find any particular place you can first search for nearby place and after that you can reach at your right place. Everything is not mentioned in Google map or in other map. But you can ask for any popular place and also get direction by going that place.
Smart phones gives GPS, system and works free after downloading map once of geographical area of your source and destination place.

Attractive designer wedding invitationsexternal link
My blogexternal link

kcrunchone
Joined Feb 2013
Queens NYC
Dec 18, 2013 21:58 |  #7

I grab my phone and use text list and if I drive by an area or get an idea for a shot or series of shots I put it on my to-do-list and only check it off when completed. Some of the amazing shots can come when you give yourself a weekly or a monthly goal of shots. It is colder now so I am shooting less but plan to do some watch collection shots to stay not only busy but in touch with the lenses and feature and functions of the cam. Just shoot shoot shoot.

7D MII Gripped 6D Gripped 60D Gripped Canon 100-400 L IS Canon 50 1.8/Canon 100 2.8/Canon 28-135IS/Canon 70-200 F4L/Tamron 18-270 3.4/ Sigma 2.0 Ext. Kenko 1.4 Canon 16-35 F2.8 L Sigma 150-600 C
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kcrunchone/ (external link)

Arson24
308 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Vancouver
Dec 19, 2013 14:37 |  #8

I keep my head on a swivel when on the road
find many spots when just thinking

7D-Gripped/70-200mm USM F4L/sigma 70-200mm F2.8/40mm STM "Pancake"/Canon 430ex II/
Match Strike Digital Productionsexternal link
"Imagery Under Fire"

Mr.Kenmuir
316 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Dec 23, 2013 00:50 |  #9

I like to leave the location up to the client, after all it is there photo shoot. Sometimes I give suggestions based on what type of photo shoot they are requesting, but generally I work with the location they request. I like to check out the location a day or so before the actual photo shoot to get a good feel and find areas that would work best.

Vancouver B.C. Family Based Photographer | Flickrexternal link | Official Siteexternal link

kcrunchone
Joined Feb 2013
Queens NYC
Jan 01, 2014 19:01 |  #10

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16343516external link
All of the above man, I keep pics on my phone or computer with addresses labeled on them.

In a place like New York City though...everything looks the same. Cars and buildings...I don't know what to do since I like more nature style backgrounds.

There are a lot of things other than buildings and cars you have to spend some soul searching time. IN fact there are parks zoos museums not to mention the tons of tourist attractions that most New yorkers take for granted but when you are behind the lens you see them all. If you are in NY just Google your shoot topic or just pic one at random and you will find tons of items. Each borough has several special spots.....

7D MII Gripped 6D Gripped 60D Gripped Canon 100-400 L IS Canon 50 1.8/Canon 100 2.8/Canon 28-135IS/Canon 70-200 F4L/Tamron 18-270 3.4/ Sigma 2.0 Ext. Kenko 1.4 Canon 16-35 F2.8 L Sigma 150-600 C
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kcrunchone/ (external link)

WedlockImages
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Nashville
Jan 06, 2014 21:37 as a reply to kcrunchone's post |  #11

We typically stumble across things while driving and make note of the location. We also ask our clients for suggestions (most will have something in mind). The biggest thing I've learned is to learn how to shoot in any location. If you focus too much on what is pleasing to the eye as far as scenery, you miss the moment being captured. We've shot in the back parking lot of a chapel next to some trees and a dumpster and it looked like the middle of the forest.

Scott Stimeare
Nashville Wedding Photographersexternal link
Wedlock Imagesexternal link

ShadowTones
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Brooklyn, Ny
Feb 06, 2014 23:04 |  #12

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16343516external link

I live in New york as well and whilst Im am a beginner, New york provides almost endless themes for you to shoot in. I was in Central park doing a little family session .. It feels and looks like another place, natural and distant. Obviously urban is there, if you want that.

I like the tips above, I normally would take a picture with phone and save under locations to shoot ..comes in handy too if you wanna build a PInterest board with images of locations so family visiting you website can have an idea. by just clicking on a link.

facebookexternal link
500pxexternal link

sponsored links

3,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you find your locations?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.