Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 03 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 07:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Will a CPL reduce studio reflections?

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Oct 03, 2013 07:38 |  #1

Last night I was playing around with my new umbrella setup. And needing a subject I chose a guitar. With the poly finish there were pretty harsh glare/reflections on certain parts depending on the angle. Is this something a CPL would effect? I'm struggling to wrap my head around the physics.

(I should just try it but that's not nearly as fast as just asking.)

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,415 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
Oct 03, 2013 10:12 |  #2

it might
there are conditions when a cpl is most effective, and some conditions when it will make things worse...

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,934 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 03, 2013 10:17 |  #3

Only if you have polarizing filters on the lamps to get all the lights in the same wavelength. In short, probably not.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Oct 03, 2013 16:11 |  #4

For a guitar, probably (at least most of the reflective surfaces). Polarizers don't do much for metallic surfaces, but work well on paint, plastic, and varnish. You don't need to use polarized light; the polarization happens when the light is reflected off the object.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Oct 03, 2013 16:14 |  #5

you can buy polarized foil and put that over your lightsource (don't set it on fire) and combined with a polarizer you then can do quite some magic to remove reflections. Takes some playing with, but works.

Otherwise it probably mostly depends on the angle of your light and subject to the camera.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Oct 03, 2013 16:18 |  #6

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com ...2-specular-highlight.htmlexternal link

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links

740 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will a CPL reduce studio reflections?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.