Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 07 Oct 2013 (Monday) 02:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

3 legs, light, strong?

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Oct 07, 2013 02:51 |  #1

I currently have a Manfrotto 190xprob with a markins Q3T head.

Looking for something much lighter for legs.

Stats on the 190xprob:
58cm folded
1220 high
1440 center column
1.8kgs

I want to beat all these. I want a tripod that weighs much less, that doesnt need a centre column to get to my eye level and one that is stronger also. My eye level is around 1350 (when you add on head/camera etc). Folded size isnt a killer but more compact wouldnt be frowned on.. It will be packed into remote areas, I dont mind if its tricky to carry on planes.

Budget is flexible, I'd rather not spend $800-1000USD on a RRS (TVC-23?) or Gitzo if I can avoid it.

Top of the list at the moment is a Feisol CT-3442, with no centre column. 138cm height, 4 section at 48cm folded, reverse foldable (as I expect all of them to do) solid construction and a total of 1.05kgs. All this for $399 USD

I've looked around at a bunch of alternatives , many are smaller or possibly lighter but I have doubts for all of them so far that they can not only hold the camera off the floor but deal with long exposure night photography in less than ideal situations etc.

One issue I have with the feisol is that the legs dont 'lock' so you cant carry it round by holding one leg. I can solve that with a velcro strap if needed?

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,453 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Oct 07, 2013 03:00 |  #2

I do believe you're looking for something that really doesn't exist except possibly at a very high price.

There are no standard tests for manufacturers of tripods and heads to use that compare rigidity. Today, it's up to the consumer to test samples of tripods and heads to compare the strength and rigidity in a side-by-side test.

The published weight limits of tripods and heads are based on non-standard methods of deriving the numbers by various manufacturers and thus these numbers are virtually useless when comparing two manufacturer's tripods and/or heads.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

RobDickinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Oct 07, 2013 03:10 |  #3

I'm looking for a compromise. I think I can get most of what I am after (lighter, stronger, bit taller) vs the 190. I'm certainly expecting to pay more for it than the 190 was.

Not so worried about manufacturers rating but real world use. Feisols seem at least decent. Looks like RRS is about the best mix of strength and weight but it is 1.5kgs (the tvc-23) and $850USD

From reviews the RRS seem by far the best made, Gitzo poorer (poor metal castings) but better finished. I dont mind a lack of 'features' or rough edges the feisol may have. The billited aluminium and carbon look good, the short leg jackets are a worry but have been addressed?

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 07, 2013 17:39 |  #4

A friend of mine has the CT3342 (the 3 section version of the 3442) and it is a very nice tripod. It is well produced and finished, quite sturdy - all in all a nice tripod + it is cheaper than a Gitzo! It will quite happily handle my Canon 300mm F2.8 + extenders on a gimbal head with a 1D4 on the back - pretty good for a tripod weighing just over a kilo! One point to note is that this tripod does not have a very large footprint with the legs at the first angle stop (hope that makes sense!). When we compared the Feisol to our other tripods (Gitzo) it was noticeable that the feet were closer together on the Feisol for a given height - this is no deal breaker but something to be considered when setting up on uneven ground.
Is the Feisol as good as a Gitzo? No. But it is very good, more sensibly priced and will do more than you would expect. Feisol are making quality tripods at not too silly prices, though (if you can afford the silly prices) then have a look at the Gitzo GT 2531/GT 2541 - I love my 2531!
Hope this helps.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

RobDickinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Oct 07, 2013 18:54 |  #5

Thanks that helps

About leg angles - the feisol had 25,50 and 75 the gitzo had 24,55 and 80 so not sure about spec vs reality?

nma
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Oct 07, 2013 19:46 |  #6

RobDickinson wrote in post #16351897external link
I currently have a Manfrotto 190xprob with a markins Q3T head.

Looking for something much lighter for legs.

Stats on the 190xprob:
58cm folded
1220 high
1440 center column
1.8kgs

I want to beat all these. I want a tripod that weighs much less, that doesnt need a centre column to get to my eye level and one that is stronger also. My eye level is around 1350 (when you add on head/camera etc). Folded size isnt a killer but more compact wouldnt be frowned on.. It will be packed into remote areas, I dont mind if its tricky to carry on planes.

Budget is flexible, I'd rather not spend $800-1000USD on a RRS (TVC-23?) or Gitzo if I can avoid it.

Top of the list at the moment is a Feisol CT-3442, with no centre column. 138cm height, 4 section at 48cm folded, reverse foldable (as I expect all of them to do) solid construction and a total of 1.05kgs. All this for $399 USD

I've looked around at a bunch of alternatives , many are smaller or possibly lighter but I have doubts for all of them so far that they can not only hold the camera off the floor but deal with long exposure night photography in less than ideal situations etc.

One issue I have with the feisol is that the legs dont 'lock' so you cant carry it round by holding one leg. I can solve that with a velcro strap if needed?

Another vote for the Feisol 3442. I carry it by one leg all the time. You can adjust the tension on the legs with the supplied wrenches. Some movement happens while walking but not that much. Of course if you are scrambling all bets are off.

All in all, I think this is the best compromise for strength, weight and $'s.

RobDickinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Oct 07, 2013 19:52 |  #7

Cool thanks its sounding like a winner. Only downside so far is the slightly higher minimum height.

Also twistlocks they make your Hands sore after a lot of use? Need more care and maintenance?

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,709 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 08, 2013 18:38 |  #8

RobDickinson wrote in post #16354049external link
Cool thanks its sounding like a winner. Only downside so far is the slightly higher minimum height.

Also twistlocks they make your Hands sore after a lot of use? Need more care and maintenance?

You shouldn't be tightening so hard that your hands get sore! The newer Gitzo twist locks require the least pressure (fingertip) but any of the decent brands could be tightened by a passing 6 or 7 year old.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,709 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 08, 2013 18:44 |  #9

RobDickinson wrote in post #16353931external link
Thanks that helps
About leg angles - the feisol had 25,50 and 75 the gitzo had 24,55 and 80 so not sure about spec vs reality?

Don't know about the quoted leg angles (never looked it up) but my friend's Feisol has a smaller footprint (when set at the same height - measured to the top of the spider) than my Gitzo 3531.
As I said it's not a deal-breaker - just something to be aware of. Maybe the 4 section version is different - he has the 3 section version.

nma
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Oct 08, 2013 19:53 |  #10

johnf3f wrote in post #16356666external link
Don't know about the quoted leg angles (never looked it up) but my friend's Feisol has a smaller footprint (when set at the same height - measured to the top of the spider) than my Gitzo 3531.
As I said it's not a deal-breaker - just something to be aware of. Maybe the 4 section version is different - he has the 3 section version.

Isn't this simple geometry? The 4 section pod has greater max. height.

RobDickinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Oct 08, 2013 20:14 |  #11

He did say same spider height. Same heights same angle should results in same leg spread.
less spread probably means higher written loads and less flex or movement but lower stability.

Feisol are 6x carbon right? Still not convinced over gitzo but have seen you can remove the center column and even replace with markins parts or remove leg sections

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Oct 09, 2013 08:09 |  #12

I love my Feisol 3441T (same legs as the 3442), never let me down yet, great value IMO.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,709 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 09, 2013 17:47 |  #13

nma wrote in post #16356814external link
Isn't this simple geometry? The 4 section pod has greater max. height.

The 3 section version is 4cm taller than the 4 section version - see :
http://www.feisol.com/​0823tripodsdetails-4.htmlexternal link

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Oct 09, 2013 18:21 |  #14

RobDickinson wrote in post #16356855external link
He did say same spider height. Same heights same angle should results in same leg spread.
less spread probably means higher written loads and less flex or movement but lower stability.

Feisol are 6x carbon right? Still not convinced over gitzo but have seen you can remove the center column and even replace with markins parts or remove leg sections

Rob I've had my 3442 for the last 4 years and have trekked hundreds of miles with it, using it in all types of terrain from immersed in the ocean to setup on the edge of lava shelfs to high atop the Rocky Mountains on some 1000' ledges. Never has let me down. I have it coupled with a Markins ballhead which makes the setup very compact and light. A real bonus is the legs can fold over the head to make it fit nicely in my luggage.

RobDickinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Oct 10, 2013 01:00 |  #15

Thanks Hogloff, does sound like what I am after.

Put the Q3t on the 3442 and get a new cheaper ball head for the 190.

sponsored links

1,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 legs, light, strong?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.