Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 12 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 12:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Large Format Acrylic Printing Help

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Oct 12, 2013 12:50 |  #1

Looking for suggestions on large format (20"x30") acrylic printing..printed directly on the acrylic with standoff mounts. Potential client wants 1 of my images to fill a 8'x10' wall space...My idea is to break it up into 6 panels.

Thanks

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,641 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Space Coast, Florida
Oct 13, 2013 05:11 |  #2

digirebelva wrote in post #16365539external link
Looking for suggestions on large format (20"x30") acrylic printing..printed directly on the acrylic with standoff mounts. Potential client wants 1 of my images to fill a 8'x10' wall space...My idea is to break it up into 6 panels.

Thanks

I would think it depends on the photo content and decor of the room, etc. I have a 20 x 30 hanging in my LR and its just fine. Acrylic and/or splits are fine but may need a contemporary setting supporting them.

Facebookexternal link or Websiteexternal link

J ­ Michael
Joined Feb 2010
Atlanta
Oct 13, 2013 07:43 |  #3

My wife has done several projects like this. She said one issue you run into with large sizes is availability of the substrate in appropriate dimensions, typical size being 4x8'. I believe the process they follow is to sandwich a print between 2 pieces of acrylic and then install the mounting system on the back. She's also done a project with a number of large prints on a transparency material which was backlit. This was for a show of Antarctica images that was named the best art exhibit in Atlanta a few years ago. I think for that they used some kind of LED backlighting system.

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Oct 13, 2013 12:00 as a reply to J Michael's post |  #4

I was looking at bayphoto and priced their alum. Prints, the mounting appartus is the same, price is comparable. From what I have read there is 2 ways to do acrylic, print on paper and apply to the acrylic surface, and direct print to the acrylic, my preference is the direct method. There won't be a split between pieces, it will appear as 1 large image..

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Oct 16, 2013 19:09 |  #5
banned

Would be easier just to do the one 20x30, cheaper too. Posterjack.ca does them with the standoff kits

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Oct 16, 2013 19:53 |  #6

Karl Johnston wrote in post #16376677external link
Would be easier just to do the one 20x30, cheaper too. Posterjack.ca does them with the standoff kits

Not when the wall space is 8'x10' and he wants to fill the space

sponsored links

757 views & 0 likes for this thread
Large Format Acrylic Printing Help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.