Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 16 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 11:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which of these leveled picture works the best?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Oct 16, 2013 11:31 |  #1

I posted this image in another thread and criticism (thank you) was given that it wasn't level. Since then I have tried to work with it and see what I come up with. I've just started trying to work with post processing so I'm hitting a learning curve thing here. :)

The question is...what do I level to? The yellow stripe in the road? The Coke sign on the front of the building? The lap siding? The structure itself is pushing 100 years old and has gone through numerous repairs/remodels...but still the old mare is getting old and sagging in places. I know which "looks" best to me, but which of these do you think works best? I appreciate all the feedback that I can get! :)

Thanks, Ed

1. This is leveled to the yellow stripe in the road...

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5471/10312574184_f627223ec9_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...71532701@N07/103125​74184/] (external link)
WRGroc1YellowLineLevel​1 (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

2. This is leveled to the Coke sign...
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/10312587655_cdd5fce170_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...71532701@N07/103125​87655/] (external link)
WRGroc1CokeLevel1 (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

3. This is leveled to the lower edge of the porch...
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/10312584126_3f9053b884_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...71532701@N07/103125​84126/] (external link)
WRGroc1PorchLevel1 (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Oct 16, 2013 11:36 |  #2

Hmm, ok, I'm hitting a wall on how to post images here that are hosted on flickr....???

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Oct 16, 2013 12:15 |  #3

Click on your picture you want, then you will see to the bottom right of picture a arrow inside a box, click on that and go to Grab the HTML/BBCode, then go to the two round circles on bottom and click on BB and chose size you want, copy that and then paste here.

My Gear flickrexternal link

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Oct 16, 2013 13:00 |  #4

Bianchi wrote in post #16375787external link
Click on your picture you want, then you will see to the bottom right of picture a arrow inside a box, click on that and go to Grab the HTML/BBCode, then go to the two round circles on bottom and click on BB and chose size you want, copy that and then paste here.

Thanks Bianchi, your mention of the two circles was the key...I'd been pasting the html code in. :rolleyes: Works great! Thanks again!

Ed

cmh512
Joined Dec 2011
Oregon
Oct 16, 2013 13:41 |  #5

I think I'd level to the bottom of the building, but I'd also consider cropping the road (or most of the road) out of the photo. Nice shot - like old man at the table to add to the story.

T3i, 18-55, EFS 10-22, 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS. Fuji XT-1, 18-55 F2-4.
flickr (external link)

chubbyone
Joined Mar 2013
Oct 16, 2013 13:50 |  #6

Crop (level) to the building and clone out the yellow stripe

6D | EF 35 f2 IS | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 135 f2.0

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011
The Great White North
Oct 16, 2013 13:50 |  #7

What software are you using?

When leveling images, I don't use horizontals for reference as they can get skewed by perspective. I'd aim for getting the best compromise between all the vertical elements in your photo.

Joel

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Oct 16, 2013 13:54 |  #8

I try to level for actual level. Roads are not always flat, buildings like that are not always built straight, and signs are not always hanging correctly.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

rpaul
630 posts
Joined Jul 2011
BC NJ
Oct 16, 2013 13:56 |  #9

You're trying to level an image by lines that are diagonal because your perspective is not square on the building. Without clear, clean horizontals to level by, you have to just eyeball it until it feels right. Or apply some perspective correction and then level it that way.

Rob | rmpaul.com (external link)
Gear 'n Stuff (external link)
C&C always welcome

jothdu
40 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Oct 16, 2013 14:43 |  #10

I think leveling to the road looks the most natural because it's the same angle at which a casual observer would be seeing the scene if standing on the road or the ground behind the road.

Unless it was for a specific effect (such as the houses in San Fran that are built on very steep streets), having the road tilted in an image generally just gives an uneasy feeling to the viewer.

My Siteexternal link

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Montana
Oct 16, 2013 14:46 |  #11

I like it being leveled to the Coke sign.

actually...looking again..I like the last one better......heh

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker pageexternal link

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Oct 16, 2013 21:52 |  #12

Thanks everyone, some good feedback.

cmh512 and chubbyone, I had considered leveing with the bottom of the building but it appears not to be "level"itself...lookin​g at the old building it's sagging in several spots. ;) As for cropping out the yellow line, well that is part of the picture. This store sits beside a state highway, the state right-of-way probably reaches several feet inside the front door. Where I was shooting from use to be my great aunt's store...the gas pump (singular :) ) literally was out in the street.

joeblack2022, I'm using CS2 along with Elements 11 for editing. For hdr I'm using Luminance. I'm just learning my way around it and have a *long* way to go. Thanks for the tip on the verticals.

cdifoto, I couldn't agree more about things being level...or not level. How would/should I arrive at the actual level for this shot? Even at shutter release how would I decide what is level?

rpaul, I agree. I've been looking at the shot and will probably go back and reshoot it. The guy sits in front of it fairly regularly. I need to get more centered in front so that both poles are balanced from the sides of the building.

jothdu, but look at the tilt of the structure in the picture with the level yellow line down the road...all the guys english peas would roll off of his plate if it was that unlevel. :) There is definitely a downhill slope to the road...the high side of the road being on the righthand side.

picturepages, I'm about in the same boat as you...those last two hang me up a bit.

Well, points that have sunk in are to watch angles better and to work with the verticals in getting things leveled up...other things are sinking into my subconscious self (or is that unconscious?<g>;).

Thanks everyone!
Ed

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Oct 16, 2013 22:42 |  #13

Intheswamp wrote in post #16376979external link
cdifoto, I couldn't agree more about things being level...or not level. How would/should I arrive at the actual level for this shot? Even at shutter release how would I decide what is level?

You can actually buy hot shoe mounted bubbles for leveling. I use a tripod for stuff like this though and mine has one on the pistol grip.

Short of that, I look for something that's pretty much always straight like brick walls and things and go from there.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Oct 17, 2013 07:51 as a reply to cdifoto's post |  #14

Thanks, cdifoto. I've got one of the small levels that I will use. When I took this particular shot I was on the way home, the sun was going down, William was sitting at his "table", and I liked the glow of the florescent lights...I simply pulled off the highway into the vacant yard across the road from the store, rolled the window down and started shooting out of it...I didn't even turn the Jeep off. :) We work with what we've got but I do think when I go back for a follow up I will carry my tripod and level! Thanks for the guidance!

Ed

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Oct 17, 2013 12:26 |  #15

Intheswamp wrote in post #16377641external link
Thanks, cdifoto. I've got one of the small levels that I will use. When I took this particular shot I was on the way home, the sun was going down, William was sitting at his "table", and I liked the glow of the florescent lights...I simply pulled off the highway into the vacant yard across the road from the store, rolled the window down and started shooting out of it...I didn't even turn the Jeep off. :) We work with what we've got but I do think when I go back for a follow up I will carry my tripod and level! Thanks for the guidance!

Ed

I hear ya. In that case I'd just guess. :-D

sponsored links

1,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which of these leveled picture works the best?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.