Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Oct 2013 (Tuesday) 14:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #455 - Graffiti

northants ­ nin
109 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 22, 2013 14:33 |  #1

Welcome to G-Series challenge # 455

OK folks my challenge for you this week is 'Graffiti' - we all see it as we travel around, some of it is better than others. I'm not asking for a Banksy but try and show me the best you can find. Gritty, colourful, artistic........ just show me Graffiti.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 28 October 2013.

Photo Submissions

Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12 ,G1X, G15, G16) or Pro 1 only.
-
Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
-
Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
-
Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
-
Posting --
One photo per photographer in each challenge.
Photo Title in the message subject line.
Camera model.
EXIF data, if you like.

Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
-
Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
-

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread. _______________

Thanks to all 4 entrants this week - a bit disappointing there weren't more, I thought it'd be a good opportunity for everyone to get out and about with their camera! Anyway my thoughts are as follows:

teekay - Graffiti vs. Art

Loved the vibrant 70s colours on this and the fact that it's a real street view - would have been really good if we could have seen a 'gritty' character sat on the bench at the bus stop.

rpolitsr - skateboard track graffiti

What I loved about this picture is that it showed real graffiti in the community - people actually living their daily lives around it, accepting it, just what I wanted to see.

marie - Temple Bar, Dublin

Loved the colours, loved the people, loved the general ambiance - wasn't too keen on the vertical distortion, it bothered me which is a shame.

mrshobden - Village Hall Wall aka Graffiti Canvas

I loved the title on this one...Graffiti Canvas is what I had in mind when I set this week's challenge. Not sure about the processing you've chosen but that's a personal thing.

And so the winners are.....

3: marie

2: teekay

1: rpolitsr

Thanks again to everyone who joined in this week and take it away, rpolitsr!

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 25, 2013 17:51 |  #2

Graffiti vs. Art

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

G1

rpolitsr
5,925 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 25, 2013 23:07 |  #3

skateboard track graffiti

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/454_graffiti_IMG_7758-1024.jpg

powershot Pro1

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 26, 2013 19:22 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #4

Temple Bar, Dublin

G12
1/1250 f2.8

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/153083600/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

mrshobden
464 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 28, 2013 07:08 |  #5

Village Hall Wall aka Graffiti Canvas

G11

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2816/10534338026_34461995c6_b.jpg

Linda

northants ­ nin
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 28, 2013 14:22 as a reply to  @ mrshobden's post |  #6

The challenge is of course closed now, apologies for the delay. I'll be back shortly with the results.

northants ­ nin
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 28, 2013 15:17 as a reply to  @ northants nin's post |  #7

The winners are announced, see above. ;)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,539 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 28, 2013 16:13 |  #8

Congratulations, as usual. I enjoyed all four vibrant, colorful illustrations of graffiti.

A nonparticipant explains why: The best graffiti in my area are in neighborhoods where I'm afraid to go. In addition, the city police have a graffiti-abatement program because tagging is associated with gang activity. When something spray-painted appears on an outside wall at the corner store, the owner calls a number and a worker comes out to remove it.

I did see one example while walking, but I didn't submit it. It was small and on a telephone pole. Rather nicely laid out, actually, but it included a vulgar word, which people might not want to see.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

mrshobden
464 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 28, 2013 17:25 |  #9

Congrats to the winners - rpolitsr's photo was my choice this week.
Must admit, I live in the salt marshes so the graffiti is extremely limited - this little patch of graffiti is on the back of the village hall - and is the only "urban" bit for miles around! The processing wasn't my choice - my son, who is in the picture, chose the heavily processed version of himself rather than the straight forward snap!

Linda

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 28, 2013 17:40 |  #10

Really loved rpolitsr's photograph! Congrats all.

teekay
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 28, 2013 18:21 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #11

Congratulations on the win, Rafael! The colour range, depth of field and composition nailed it without question.

Northants Nin, you're quite right about that bus bench needing a a suitable character on it, so thanks for second place anyway.

When I first went to photograph the spot there was indeed a scruffy and very cooperative guy there willing to pose as I wanted, but when I got home I found I'd totally screwed up all the shots due to a really amateurish mistake on my old G1 settings. When I went back the next day the place was deserted.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,850 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 29, 2013 00:19 |  #12

Congrats to the winners and way to go, Rafael. That is some piece of artwork!

Hopefully my life is calming down after our son's wedding this past weekend.... It came right after I got back from Paris so I haven't had time to breathe. Hopefully I will join back in again next challenge. :)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

rpolitsr
5,925 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 29, 2013 01:05 |  #13

Congratulations to the other winners and the other participants ( I mean Linda :) )
Thank you northants nin for the first place and for running the challenge.
It is late here (1:00 AM) I will start challenge #456 in the morning. I will comment about my picture too.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 29, 2013 01:19 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #14

:)
Congratulations to winner Rafael and to Teekay

terrific winning picture Rafael ,
and loved the friendly bear to the right of Teekay’s picture, he eases up the sometimes rough look of graffiti lol , also Linda’s pleasant picture is lovely

Thank you Northants for hosting, judging , for comments and for third placing.

: )

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,527 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 29, 2013 01:40 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #15

And yet another interesting challenge! I could easily have gone to many places locally to find something to shoot but alas, I was not home!

I flew to Orlando, Florida on Oct. 20, spent some time there, drove north of Jacksonville and then back to Palm Coast for a seminar for 5 days.

Soooooo, no time for pics.

But I do have some great shots that are a couple weeks too late for the amusement park topic. I went to Island Of Adventure and Universal Studios in Orlando and only took 722 pictures - tsk tsk, I usually take thousands of them!

I just got home an hour ago and here I am, the first place I go is here! Haha!

Congrats Rafael for first place! That would have been my pick for #1 too. Great shot!

And too the others too for some cool pics!

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links

3,440 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #455 - Graffiti
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.