Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of January 2006 (Mon)   #1
FlipsidE

Default For the 100th time, NYIP...is it worth the time and money?

I've never taken any formal photography classes. Everything I've learned, I've either learned on my own, from you guys, or from Charles' workshop I went to last Feb.

Well, after about two weeks of anxious waiting, I finally got my information package from NYIP. I honestly think that, while it'll be hard work, I'm sure, I also think it'll be a lot of fun. It looks as though it'll take you through all the different types of photography teaching you how to improve techniques overall...something I definitely need.

For the price ($1000...realtively not very much in the grand scheme of photography) and all you get with it, it seems like a deal to me. I just want to make sure that it's not too good to be true. Is it really worth the time and money?

Thanks, as always, in advance!

I'm off to play some Dead or Alive 4 (see if I can open up a few more costumes).
Old 30th of January 2006 (Mon)   #2
Dchemist

Default Re: For the 100th time, NYIP...is it worth the time and money?

My 2 cents is that it is worth it (I am taking the digital course) I felt that it could be a decent way to learn the technology, terminology and basics in a semi-structured way rather than trying to do it yourself. So far it has been worth it -- but its not $1000. Wait a bit and you will get a discount coupon. I went the monthly payment route and recewived a further discount if I pay up now. Good luck. Dennis
Dchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2006 (Mon)   #3
FlipsidE

I apprecite the input! Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

The monthly payment route is $1000 according to the information I received. There is a coupon for $150 off the full payment method lowering the $950 to $800...which would be nice. But, unfortunately, the coupon is only valid for the next three days. And, while I do have the money to pay for it now, I feel that $800 could be spent better places at this very moment.

So, unfortunately, if I go the route of monthly payments, it's $1000. If I save up and pay in full it's $950 (which really isn't that far off the $1000 mark).
Old 30th of January 2006 (Mon)   #4
R Hardman

Couldn't you sign up for a few college courses at that price?

EOS 7D, EOS 350D, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM (Kit)

Rick's Digital Desert
R Hardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2006 (Mon)   #5
Spphotos

Well i just signed up for it , and so far its good. I received my first lesson from them and learned ALOT about f stops and about lenses and shutter speeds. I really like it so far , the dvd`s pretty good also that came. And i dont think the course is that hard ( This coming from a 15 year old ) , Just takes a bit to read all the great things they give you. I say its worth the money.
Spphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #6
dandan

from what ive heard from people who actualy attended classes and such, its a major waste of time. you would learn more by going out and shooting, then being in a class. Just what ive heard from friends who have taken courses, they all think it was a waste of their time.

- www.dan-mcnair.com - Webdesign and Photography
dandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #7
cyclone

FlipsidE-
Are you talking about the original course or the digital course? The digital course is mostly about digital file manipulation (and mostly Photoshop) with a little photography technique thrown in. The original course is all about film based photography. The material looks dated, but relevant. They also stress the business side, which will probably benefit you. I'm nearing the end of the original course, and I just signed my wife up for the digital course (she was tired of waiting for me to edit the pictures, and wanted to learn all this stuff herself). I've been very pleased with the course - I've learned a lot.

I've had it in the back of my mind to do some searches on NYIP, and link all the posts together, so people can look at all the prior posts easily, but I haven't gotten around to it.
420ex other stuff
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #8
FlipsidE

Looking into the original course. While I'm sure it still covers a lot when it comes to film photography, they sent out a page in the info pack that emphasized greatly that they do not mind the use of digital cameras at all (along with Photoshop, PSE, etc.).
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #9
pacific

Since I live in a place where college or other photography classes are not an option I finally signed up for the original course. Received my first lesson and it has been very helpful. I waited for the discount coupon before signing up and so should you. But I have no regrets. Side note I also ordered and received the book understanding exposure (which everyone talks about) and agree it is an excellent book and well worth the price.
Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 70-200
Canon 100mm macro
Canon Remote Switch and 420EX and 580EX
Sekonic L-558, Interfit 600ws lights
pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #10
FlipsidE

pacific,

I'm not in the same situation as you are, but I feel your pain. I'm on-call 24/7/365 for my job. At any moment, on any day, during any week...no matter what I'm doing, I can be called away to work for 14 hours straight (happened before, and I'm sure it'll happen again). Hence, college courses, unfortunately...well, I just don't think they are going to work for me.

I think correspondence courses where I can move at my own pace are a MUCH better idea for my situation.
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #11
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipsidE
that emphasized greatly that they do not mind the use of digital cameras at all
This is true. The vast majority of my projects in the original course were shot digitally.

I just meant to say that most of the teaching is film based. But, even though they teach film based photography in the original course, it is readily applicable to digital cameras. Even the film developing areas are interesting to me to see the parallel between the darkroom and Photoshop. There are Photoshop techniques that have a darkroom counterpart that I didn't know existed.

Yes, you should wait to see how much they will discount the final tuition.
420ex other stuff
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #12
FlipsidE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone
Yes, you should wait to see how much they will discount the final tuition.
Again, my discount certificate has already come. But, it expires in two days...meaning I honestly don't have time to think this over. If I don't sign up by 2/2/06, then my discount certificate becomes null and void, and I'm back to paying full price. Honestly, since I *just* got the information yesterday, I know for a fact that I won't be ready to make a decision by 2/2/06. So, I'm looking at having to pay the full $1000, that or $950 (close to the full $1000).
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #13
Dchemist

Flipside, I went the "monthly" payment route (and the price has gone up ~$100 since last fall). The useful information is I recently got a 30% off coupon if I pay up the remaining amount which will bring the total down significantly -- you might consider this as a way to save a few dollars.

Good luck,

Dennis
Dchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #14
cyclone

They recently announced that they were increasing tuition, so maybe $800 is as good as it gets. Not sure. It used to be a bit less if you paid in full.

NYIP is persistent. If you don't use this coupon, they may send another. Or, they probably will let you use an expired coupon. They are ultimately business people, and they want students. So if you are not completely sure, I would wait. I think you will have options.
420ex other stuff
Old 31st of January 2006 (Tue)   #15
cristoleyz

I am taking this course now and think it is GREAT! Listen, don't pay $900!!! It cost me $648. For me its worth every penny! You will get another offer in the mail at a lower price.

Good luck! If you have any questions, please ask!
Chris
cristoleyz is offline   Reply With Quote