Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 26 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 03:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5d mkII LCD question

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Oct 26, 2013 03:56 |  #1

I noticed that when I take a shot of a scene that has some nuances or DR , my lcd won,t do it justice.
Often i take a few extra shots of the same scene and discover at home that the pics are fine, lots of details, but for some reason, the lcd seems not the best tool for viewing.
Is the 5dIII better?

sponsored links
sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Oct 26, 2013 04:06 |  #2

I noticed i post it in the wrong section....gee, im going back to sleep

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Oct 26, 2013 04:07 |  #3
banned

sega62 wrote in post #16400115external link
I noticed that when I take a shot of a scene that has some nuances or DR , my lcd won,t do it justice.
Often i take a few extra shots of the same scene and discover at home that the pics are fine, lots of details, but for some reason, the lcd seems not the best tool for viewing.
Is the 5dIII better?

Perhaps you've got your lcd set up wrong i.e. either too bright or too low in brightness

tonylong
...winded
54,607 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Oct 26, 2013 04:25 |  #4

sega62 wrote in post #16400122external link
I noticed i post it in the wrong section....gee, im going back to sleep

Yep, go to sleep, post in the camera section!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Oct 26, 2013 04:29 |  #5

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #16400123external link
Perhaps you've got your lcd set up wrong i.e. either too bright or too low in brightness

Yes it is at the brightess, cause I find it pretty dark on a sunny day.
I,m getting old too, that does,nt help either

But I know they are some bette lcd out there, gonna have to check the 5dIII
I need a great lcd display

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Oct 26, 2013 04:31 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #16400133external link
Yep, go to sleep, post in the camera section!:)

Hey tony, since you got the mkiii did you noticed a difference in lcd display?
I need one badly, or else im thinking of buying another brand.
Thx

tonylong
...winded
54,607 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Oct 26, 2013 04:35 |  #7

Sega, I don't have a Mark II, but I really don't use the LCD much. Live View is handy, though, for checking overall exposure (use the histogram)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Oct 26, 2013 04:40 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #16400142external link
Sega, I don't have a Mark II, but I really don't use the LCD much. Live View is handy, though, for checking overall exposure (use the histogram)!

Yes your right the histogram, but its always nice to see what you take.
For me its part of the experience to have fun while shooting looking at the lcd.
Thx

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,384 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Oct 26, 2013 04:54 |  #9

A little 3 inch LCD is never going to be "great". You won't find a great one on any camera. It is not intended to be used to examine either color (not color managed and certainly not calibrated) or tonality. Its purpose is to check composition, overexposure (blinkies) and whether Aunt Bertha closed her eyes when the flash went off. If you shoot Raw, it is even less relevant because it shows a castrated jpg version of the capture. But if you must shoot jpg and want a good review, tether to a laptop or Win 8 tablet.

Elie / אלי

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Oct 26, 2013 05:18 |  #10

I use the LCD for 5x/10x magnification in live view and histogram, otherwise it's kind of pointless to judge quality, if I can't even see the Raw data but a Jpeg interpretation (heck even the histo is rendered from the jpeg).

The mkII screen is notorious for hiding faults with your image, such as noise and focus, better not trust that thing too much. Tethering to a tablet with a good screen, or using one of those monitors for video, it becomes more acceptable.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Oct 26, 2013 06:27 |  #11
banned

sega62 wrote in post #16400136external link
Yes it is at the brightess, cause I find it pretty dark on a sunny day.
I,m getting old too, that does,nt help either

But I know they are some bette lcd out there, gonna have to check the 5dIII
I need a great lcd display

It's all going to be the same, unless you had a smartphone lcd, which would make it a bit better

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Oct 26, 2013 06:52 |  #12

Yes im shooting raw, thanks for the advices

tonylong
...winded
54,607 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Oct 26, 2013 13:56 |  #13

tzalman wrote in post #16400158external link
A little 3 inch LCD is never going to be "great". You won't find a great one on any camera. It is not intended to be used to examine either color (not color managed and certainly not calibrated) or tonality. Its purpose is to check composition, overexposure (blinkies) and whether Aunt Bertha closed her eyes when the flash went off. If you shoot Raw, it is even less relevant because it shows a castrated jpg version of the capture. But if you must shoot jpg and want a good review, tether to a laptop or Win 8 tablet.

sega62 wrote in post #16400296external link
Yes im shooting raw, thanks for the advices

I don't have a 5D2, so can't comment on the particulars there. With the 1DM3 that I did own, I found the Live View mainly useful in low light situations, particularly ones where I was going to use a flash and wanted to use Live View to get "some" ambient exposure.

But a comment on shooting Raw:

When shooting Raw, it's important to realize that what we see in the LCD represents the jpeg from our in-camera settings (Picture Style, White Balance, etc.) and, as such, will to some degree differ from how our Raw shoots will be rendered in an app other than the Canon Raw processing Digital Photo Professional (DPP). And so, we get a lot of folks asking questions like "Why doesn't Lightroom show my shots like I see in the LCD?"

That's something to be aware of, but there is also a bit of a "work-around". I have my cameras set to the Neutral Picture Style, with Contrast and Saturation dialed all the way back to -4, settings which are pretty close to the default rendering of Lightroom (and Adobe Camera Raw). So, if I bring the shot into DPP it will be quite similar to the image viewed in LR.

Also, I can use those settings to take better advantage of the Raw latitude of highlight and shadow "renderings", and of the latitude with color tones, because the LCD is less likely to give misleading "blinkies" and such. Plus, the histogram will be more "toned down" than with the default Canon "Standard" Picture Style.

This can be useful when you are shooting scenes with challenging dynamic ranges, bright highlights and dark shadows, (many daylight scenes) when you are "pushing" things. But in these scenarios, having the nice big LCD is less important than having the histogram and the highlight/shadow "blinkies" and then the preview image on the histogram is just an "approximation" of whether your overall exposure is "OK".

I don't use the LCD or Live View to check things like sharpness because I've found my lenses to function quite reliably with the AF. If I was shooting tethered, and doing MF, then I could use a laptop screen. Otherwise when doing MF I stay glued to my viewfinder, but sure Live View can help there if you are using a high magnification to judge sharpness. With my older cameras Live View is not an option though, so if I really want, I can zoom in on the preview after a first shot!

Tony

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Oct 27, 2013 00:35 |  #14

tonylong wrote in post #16401101external link
I don't have a 5D2, so can't comment on the particulars there. With the 1DM3 that I did own, I found the Live View mainly useful in low light situations, particularly ones where I was going to use a flash and wanted to use Live View to get "some" ambient exposure.

But a comment on shooting Raw:

When shooting Raw, it's important to realize that what we see in the LCD represents the jpeg from our in-camera settings (Picture Style, White Balance, etc.) and, as such, will to some degree differ from how our Raw shoots will be rendered in an app other than the Canon Raw processing Digital Photo Professional (DPP). And so, we get a lot of folks asking questions like "Why doesn't Lightroom show my shots like I see in the LCD?"

That's something to be aware of, but there is also a bit of a "work-around". I have my cameras set to the Neutral Picture Style, with Contrast and Saturation dialed all the way back to -4, settings which are pretty close to the default rendering of Lightroom (and Adobe Camera Raw). So, if I bring the shot into DPP it will be quite similar to the image viewed in LR.

Also, I can use those settings to take better advantage of the Raw latitude of highlight and shadow "renderings", and of the latitude with color tones, because the LCD is less likely to give misleading "blinkies" and such. Plus, the histogram will be more "toned down" than with the default Canon "Standard" Picture Style.

This can be useful when you are shooting scenes with challenging dynamic ranges, bright highlights and dark shadows, (many daylight scenes) when you are "pushing" things. But in these scenarios, having the nice big LCD is less important than having the histogram and the highlight/shadow "blinkies" and then the preview image on the histogram is just an "approximation" of whether your overall exposure is "OK".

I don't use the LCD or Live View to check things like sharpness because I've found my lenses to function quite reliably with the AF. If I was shooting tethered, and doing MF, then I could use a laptop screen. Otherwise when doing MF I stay glued to my viewfinder, but sure Live View can help there if you are using a high magnification to judge sharpness. With my older cameras Live View is not an option though, so if I really want, I can zoom in on the preview after a first shot!

Thanks,

I will try that, seems like useful information.
I heard someone tell me that tethered shooting went bad with his mkII, i don,t know exactly what happened but he got his camera serviced from Canon.
Hope its safe,
Any Ipad apps for tethered shooting?

sponsored links

751 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mkII LCD question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.