Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 08 Nov 2013 (Friday) 02:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Perfect gigapan astro setup

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Nov 08, 2013 02:20 |  #1

I shot this last week on a canon g16 and it got me thinking.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/10633160655_726bf4cf86_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/zarphag/1063316​0655/] (external link)
Gibraltar Rock nightscape (external link) by robjdickinson (external link), on Flickr

I used a Gigapan epic pro and shot 8 frames for this. Its noisy at 100% but the results surprised me and its easily as good as a single frame from a FF SLR (if you could frame this in one frame) - the result image is about 10,000x4300 but really would work at 5000px wide.

+ Gigapan epic pro is large and bulky, and not cheap.

** So the challenge - find an efficient sensor small camera and very high quality fast lens in the 30-50mm (ff terms) or so focal range to run on a cheaper gigapan 100.

Now I am not worried about size of sensor. Why? because with a smaller sensor I will just need more frames (within reason). This negates the size of sensor somewhat but not the need for a good lens.. I obviously dont want to spend 5 hours shooting a night panoramic so a very small sensor and 400mm lens wont workk..:D

The lens needs to be good at f2.0 I think (say a 1.4 prime). Good as in low CA, no coma, low vignetting. Not too bothered about sharpness, I expect it would be fine for any lens. Lens can be manual focus (actually preferred!)

If the ideal solution is a 35 or 50 on a 6d then fine, am suspecting a crop body ( nikon D3100?) could possibly be a better option, or even a nex 5 or something.

I know a FF sensor is usually twice as good as a crop (one stop+) but remember I will be taking more shots with the cropper so its more down to efficiency...

An eos M and sigma 35/1.4 or a 50?

Thoughts?

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

celestyx
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Nov 08, 2013 03:45 |  #2

The stars move fast. Therefore the "because with a smaller sensor I will just need more frames" is not true : if the duration of the shots exceeds a few minutes then the panorama will be very hard to stitch. Also if you don't want the stars to move on a single image, then you have to use a shorter exposure time with a smaller sensor, for the same lens. So a 50mm on a crop body is not a good option (exposure limited to about 7s).

You can follow my work on facebook (external link), 500px (external link) or instagram (external link)

1,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
Perfect gigapan astro setup
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.