Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Thread started 10 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 14:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Weird IR reflections

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Nov 10, 2013 14:27 |  #1

I recently purchased a Hoya RM-72 IR filter to experiment with. I like the effects I can get after post processing, however, I have noticed a reflection in the very center of the shots with it. I'll post an example below. The reflection disappears for the most part once I do my post processing, but I'm still not quite sure what's causing it. The camera gear is a 6D with Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art, and the shot settings are ISO 800, f/8, 25s. I haven't been able to see if it appears on shorter exposures as I haven't been able to go much lower than a 20 second exposure at noon on a sunny, cloudless day.

The circle reflection is visible in the center of the first attachment. It is in the same spot and has the same intensity regardless of the position of the sun, cloud cover (direct vs indirect light), and it almost always clears up after post processing. Does anyone with experience with this filter have any input on what it is and how to mitigate it?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntsville, Alabama
Nov 10, 2013 14:30 |  #2

Sounds like it is a hotspot with the lens when used with IR light.

Housley Photographyexternal link
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Nov 10, 2013 14:32 |  #3

adam8080 wrote in post #16440054external link

Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that. So to test this, I'd need to use it on my other lenses. I'll be sure to report back. Thanks!

Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 10, 2013 14:32 |  #4

adam8080 wrote in post #16440054external link

this.

Some lenses are worse than others about generating hotspots. Somewhere there was a list of lenses ranked by whether they generated a hot spot when used on an IR camera or not. If I can find it I'll post it up.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Nov 10, 2013 14:33 |  #5

Also a note, I'm not using an IR converted camera.

Thanks for the help guys!

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 10, 2013 14:37 |  #6

Here ya go.

http://dpanswers.com/c​ontent/irphoto_lenses.​phpexternal link

http://www.kolarivisio​n.com/lenshotspot.htmlexternal link

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 10, 2013 14:39 |  #7

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #16440067external link
Also a note, I'm not using an IR converted camera.

Thanks for the help guys!

your still photographing IR light. ;)

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Nov 10, 2013 18:26 |  #8

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16440076external link
your still photographing IR light. ;)

Correct, but they way I read your response made me think that we weren't on the same page. Thanks for the links, I've got some reading to do now.

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Nov 19, 2013 17:51 |  #9

try stopping way down F7-F16. IR hot spots are caused by several things. The coatings on the lenses do not transmit ir properly so ir light builds up between the elements. Your sensor still has it's highpass filter so it is reflecting ir light off of the front element. Stopping down helps to reduce internal reflections and it also makes it easier to get the ir light into focus. Because most lenses are designed to focus RGB, it is a little more difficult to get ir into focus because the focus range is narrow and the viewfinder will be very dim. What bandwidth filter are you using? 950nm on my full spectrum T2i is VERY dark. I cannot see through this filter with my eye in broad daylight. 500-750nm is not to bad. I can shoot these types of filters handheld with the T2i, and performance is not too bad with a tokina 11-16mm. 800-950nm is usually were things get a little tricky and hot spots are bad even when you stop down the troublesome lens, forcing you to use one of the so called "recommended lenses".

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Nov 20, 2013 10:19 |  #10

calypsob wrote in post #16464804external link
try stopping way down F7-F16. IR hot spots are caused by several things. The coatings on the lenses do not transmit ir properly so ir light builds up between the elements. Your sensor still has it's highpass filter so it is reflecting ir light off of the front element. Stopping down helps to reduce internal reflections and it also makes it easier to get the ir light into focus. Because most lenses are designed to focus RGB, it is a little more difficult to get ir into focus because the focus range is narrow and the viewfinder will be very dim. What bandwidth filter are you using? 950nm on my full spectrum T2i is VERY dark. I cannot see through this filter with my eye in broad daylight. 500-750nm is not to bad. I can shoot these types of filters handheld with the T2i, and performance is not too bad with a tokina 11-16mm. 800-950nm is usually were things get a little tricky and hot spots are bad even when you stop down the troublesome lens, forcing you to use one of the so called "recommended lenses".

I'm using a 720 nm filter. When I hold it up to my eye, I can barely see a few highly IR reflective things after my eye adjusts for a few seconds.

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Mar 14, 2014 21:30 |  #11

Then it should be fixable by stopping down to f11 for sure

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

ethan870
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Nov 07, 2014 07:01 |  #12

I agree with calypsob, f11 should do :)

Gold Coast Wedding Photographerexternal link
email: info@mariocolliphotogr​aphy.comexternal link
facebook: www.facebook.com/mario​colliPHexternal link

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008
Asheville NC
Jun 25, 2015 18:57 |  #13

Life Pixel had some info on the hot spot problem and lenses that were prone to it. If I remember correctly stopping down makes it more pronounced. Just sent them my 50D today for conversion.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralphexternal link

sponsored links

5,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Weird IR reflections
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.