Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of November 2013 (Thu)   #1
MandiC

Default SX280 vs S110 for pictures of kids

Does anyone here have both?
I want a small point and shoot with 'room to grow', I have really only used a camera in auto but would like to learn more manual controls. That said, I simply do not have time for editing (4 kids ages 9 and under...) and thus have very little use for RAW. I figure if I really end up liking it I can get a bigger camera with RAW in a few years when my kids are older. I would like a camera that I can possibly print up to 8x10s of the kids and is decent in low-light. I know I can't expect DSLR performance out of a P&S but I'd love something I could take pictures of the kids during sports where they wouldn't look like a complete blur on the screen We are also going to Disney early next year so I will need something that does well on vacation. My budget is $300-ish or less. I am very comfortable with the price of the SX280 but if the S110 is that much better for my needs I would be fine with that. If there is another compact out there that would fit my needs better (mainly the kids) feel free to offer suggestions!
MandiC is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of November 2013 (Thu)   #2
MandiC

Default Re: SX280 vs S110 for pictures of kids

and also if there is any book or website you would recommend for someone looking to learn more about how to get the best pictures from a P&S please share!
Old 20th of November 2013 (Wed)   #3
tawcat

MandiC: Sorry for such a late post. I own the SX280HS and the Elph 300 HS, the latter is pretty close to the 110.

I like the 280 for the ability to reach out and grab a distant shot. The 300 delivers some incredible quality for such a small camera. The 280 is a bit larger and not as pocketable as the 300 or the 110. When I say pocket, I am referring to pants or shirt or even jacket. That said, I've not had any problems carrying the 280 in a cargo pocket.

I'd say if you're looking to grab those shots from atop a ferris wheel or the princess' castle I'd go with the 280. If most of what you plan to shoot is within a few feet, maybe the 110 would suffice.

Regardless of which you purchase, be sure to purchase a few extra batteries. If you don't have extras, your battery is going fail on the best photo op of the day.

As for books etc, Google and you may find.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of November 2013 (Fri)   #4
MandiC

Thank you! I ended up going with the 280 Best Buy had a good sale going, it just arrived today...haven't even opened it yet but I am excited to open it once the kids are in bed!