Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 15 Nov 2013 (Friday) 13:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I *thought* I ordered a rocket blower. Will an empty spray bottle work?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 15, 2013 13:48 |  #1

:confused:
I detected some dust on my sensor the other day and checked around and figured out what I wanted to use to clean it with. I've got together some Eclipse and some Texwipe swabs. I *thought* I had a rocket blower ordered. I couldn't figure out why it hadn't arrived yet and apparently I never ordered it! :oops:

I've got a small shoot tomorrow for my youngest daughter and wanted to have the sensor cleaned by then. It probably doesn't matter as I doubt I'll be shooting very tight, but it would be nice to have it clean for the shoot.

Anyhow, I've got a blower ordered but it won't be here until Tuesday. I was thinking about a regular handheld plastic pump sprayer. The kind you might put window cleaner or something in...the clear plastic ones with the pump lever. Seems these will pump some air out but I'm not sure if it's with enough force to do any good. Or, maybe one of the pressurized ones. These would all be new sprayers. Anybody ever used something like this? If you did, did it work?

I've seen people recommend a baby aspirator...do they work good enough?

Like I said, I've got a rocket blower on it's way, but in the meantime...?

Thanks,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
St. Louis, MO
Nov 15, 2013 14:14 |  #2

I've never seen a sprayer bottle that put out any amount of air. if you look at how little liquid gets pushed out of those, you'll see that they are all but useless for moving air.

-Jayson- my flickrexternal link
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Nov 15, 2013 14:30 |  #3

A clean ear syringe will work in a pinch. Best bet's to get a brand new one.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 15, 2013 15:00 |  #4

OXO makes a small baster, similar to a turkey baster but only 4 inches long. I melted the tip of one of those until it was fused over solid, then drilled a 1/16 hole in the tip. Works well and gives a much better "blast" than the rocekt blower.

By the way decent camera stores sell the rocket blower...I even think I've seen them or something very similar at Best Buy.

Just checked and Best Buy carries a Rocketfish Camera Sensor Cleaner, Model: RF-CB0112 SKU: 4675486. It says online that most stores have the device in stock.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Harrisburg, PA
Nov 15, 2013 15:05 |  #5

Don't even bother. Wait for the rocket blower. Some dust on your sensor won't have that much of an effect, especially if you're shooting portraits with wide apertures. Dust only shows up when you stop down.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographerexternal link

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 15, 2013 15:09 as a reply to Jon's post |  #6

Thanks for the replies.

steel, that's about what I thought, though in the past I've found one or two spray bottles that would give out a fair puff of air. Being built for liquids they're really not made for this. I wonder how the kind that you pressurized by pumping them full of air would work...those RoundUp/herbicide/pest​icide sprayers. I've seen some small ones.

Jon, I gotcha on getting a new one...we've got grandkids so no used for me! ;) I think I'll forgo the sprayers and pick up an aspirator on the way home this evening....hmm, I wonder if the folks at the drug store will think I'm weird if I ask them if I can try them out? :lol:

aphphoto
421 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Nov 15, 2013 20:24 |  #7

A) I honestly don't find the Rocket Air Blower to be all that wonderful.
B) There are enough stories about them being confiscated by the TSA to make it a concern if you do much travel by air.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

Visinate
100 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Nov 16, 2013 01:30 |  #8

I just bought a rocket blower at bestbuy a couple weeks ago. They've got a few options for cleaning kits but no sensor cleaning stuff unfortunately. But for just the blower, I bet your local BB has them in store.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 16, 2013 22:24 as a reply to Visinate's post |  #9

I ended up buying an ear syringe at the drug store. Seems to have worked nicely in removing a few dust bunnies, especially the one that bugged me the most. Once I saw what it had done I called it "good" and opted not to do the wet clean until after shooting the pictures for my daughter. I figured I wouldn't be shooting much over f5.6, especially with the heavy overcast/cloudy conditions today. There's still some dust on the sensor and I'll do a wet clean in the next week or so and see what "baseline" I can establish and then go from there. I was impressed with what the ear syringe did...now, if the guy pushing the shutter button on this T2i could only be as effective! :D

I'll post back when I do my wet clean...

Thanks again for the feedback!
Ed

sponsored links

1,806 views & 0 likes for this thread
I *thought* I ordered a rocket blower. Will an empty spray bottle work?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.