Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 19 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 09:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Evolve or die: After 100 years, cameras face bleak future

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Nov 19, 2013 09:40 |  #1

http://www.nbcnews.com ...e-bleak-future-2D11591048external link

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Nov 19, 2013 10:01 |  #2

An exceptionally pointless piece that isn't really worth the time it takes to watch. "Cameras" in general aren't facing a bleak future, and it is really no different today than it was when the market shifted from large plate based camera systems to smaller film bodies 'way back when'.

"Cameras" aren't going anywhere, but the form factor used for the vast majority of cameras is merely changing. There is still lots of market space and economic drive behind camera development. Camera phones suck to use, and it is because they're a phone with a camera slapped on. Lets see an actual imaging company release a decent camera with a good smart phone built in.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 19, 2013 10:05 |  #3

In other news: All living things will eventually die.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Nov 19, 2013 10:13 |  #4

Only the housing ie form factor is changing.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

sjones
Goldmember
2,190 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
Nov 19, 2013 10:24 as a reply to cdifoto's post |  #5

More people are taking more photos than ever, says the report about the death of the camera.

Asheville to Chicago 2016-2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Nov 19, 2013 10:30 |  #6

"Sales of Canon compact cameras fell 26% worldwide from April-June 2013 in volume terms (year-on-year) but demand for the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 6D DSLRs continued to grow and the EOS 700D ‘proved popular' in Japan over the three months."
Read more at http://www.amateurphot​ographer.co.uk ...dwide#tcu7kfSHprZ8I​qVB.99external link

Compact cameras are dying because smartphones are a legitimate replacement for many people. But that means a higher percentage of sales are on higher markup items like DSLR. Selling less cameras with higher profits is not terrible news for Canon.

I wonder if Canon could collaborate with a phone company. Maybe help them make a "real" camera phone. "The new Canon Powershot XBR by LG". The Canon name carries a lot of weight for people interested in photos.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Nov 19, 2013 10:30 |  #7

sjones wrote in post #16463641external link
More people are taking more photos than ever, says the report about the death of the camera.

Funny, huh? :lol:

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Southwest Florida
Nov 19, 2013 10:34 as a reply to cdifoto's post |  #8

The one fact they got right is that more people are taking more photographs than ever before. The majority of them are unlikely to buy an advanced digital camera just as the prior generation of Polaroid and Brownie users were unlikely to buy an SLR. A certain percentage will decide to pursue photography as a hobby or profession. That number continues to grow as the number of photographers grows. Multi-purpose tools have always been less satisfactory than those with a single purpose. Devices whose primary function is to take photographs will be with us for a long time to come.

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Mass
Nov 19, 2013 12:04 |  #9

Hear that folks... cameras will be innovated out of existence... they will all magically vanish!

I'm amazed my old film cameras haven't already left me to go die under a rock somewhere.

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Nov 19, 2013 12:56 |  #10

Yawn.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff.external link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,056 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Nov 19, 2013 13:07 |  #11

iamascientist wrote in post #16463887external link
Hear that folks... cameras will be innovated out of existence... they will all magically vanish!

Three business men were walking down the street to have lunch, one a man from Germany, one from US, and one from Japan.
As they are walking, a phone rings...the German holds his thumb to his ear and his little finger in front of his mouth and begins to talk. After his call ends, the guy from the US asks the German about his phone capability, and the German replies about having a earphone speaker implant in his thumb and a microphone implant in his little finger. The US guy comments, "Impressive!"
A couple minutes later, the US guy asks his companions to stop, "I want to take a picture of that impressive building!" He turns his head, and blinks, and then says "Thanks, got that!". The German asks about how he took a picture, and the US guy responds, "There is a neural tap to my optic nerve, that feeds the signal to a digital camera." The Japanese comments, "Oh, velly implessive!" as they continue to walk.
A few more minutes pass, and another phone rings followed by a screech. The Japanese man starts to unbuckle his belt after pausing, and apologizes to his companions..."Excuse, please, FAX coming in...I have not upgladed to PDF output and viewing yet!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004
where the buffalo roam
Nov 20, 2013 00:25 |  #12

I have thrown away all of my cameras. The article told me to.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010
San Jose, CA
Nov 20, 2013 00:31 |  #13

Luckless wrote in post #16463592external link
An exceptionally pointless piece that isn't really worth the time it takes to watch. "Cameras" in general aren't facing a bleak future, and it is really no different today than it was when the market shifted from large plate based camera systems to smaller film bodies 'way back when'.

"Cameras" aren't going anywhere, but the form factor used for the vast majority of cameras is merely changing. There is still lots of market space and economic drive behind camera development. Camera phones suck to use, and it is because they're a phone with a camera slapped on. Lets see an actual imaging company release a decent camera with a good smart phone built in.

Give it time. Apple has updated their iPhone's camera every year... which is a lot faster than other companies are updating...

Consider how the current generation of digital backs is already one full generation behind in connection technology... They are just now adopting USB 3.0 support...

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
From Blackpool UK to Brisbane Australia 20 yrs ago
Nov 20, 2013 00:31 |  #14

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16465657external link
I have thrown away all of my cameras.

Whereabouts?

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004
where the buffalo roam
Nov 20, 2013 00:36 |  #15

bidkev wrote in post #16465665external link
Whereabouts?

I have a rotary shearexternal link beside my desk

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

3,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Evolve or die: After 100 years, cameras face bleak future
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.