Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 21:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Problem with Canon G15 -- won't zoom, some controls frozen

cal888
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Nov 23, 2013 21:34 |  #1

Sometimes when I turn the camera on, it acts almost like it is locked. I cannon use the zoom function unless I hold the zoom button down while turning the camera on -- I cannot zoom again unless I turn the camera off then on again. Also in auto mode the camera doesn't adjust to to different lighting conditions making outdoor pictures looked washed out unless I change the dial to P or C1. Finally, the menu and function set buttons are also non responsive. Sometimes the camera will operate normally when turned on. What can be done? I bought the camera 11 months ago and it might still be under warranty. Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm a noob but wasn't able to find anything on Google. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new camera...

Thanks for any ideas...

sponsored links
DantheCanonMan
104 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Nov 24, 2013 17:18 |  #2

I believe the first thing I'd do is reload the firmware.

cal888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Nov 24, 2013 17:33 as a reply to DantheCanonMan's post |  #3

Thank you for the suggestion. On the Canon website for the G15, they say "
Firmware
There is no - firmware for the OS version you selected."

How could I obtain the firmware to reload?

Thanks!

DantheCanonMan
104 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Nov 24, 2013 17:40 |  #4

Yes, I see that. Interesting. You might have to off the Canon grid to find it, or maybe try CHDK. Do a Google search for G15 firmware. Good luck!

cal888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Nov 24, 2013 19:57 as a reply to DantheCanonMan's post |  #5

^ Found it, thanks. Now: looking for a walk-through how to load the firmware without bricking the camera completely.

cal888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Nov 25, 2013 13:55 as a reply to cal888's post |  #6

Unfortunately I've hit another wall. It doesn't look like there are any easy walkthroughs on how to re-load the firmware. Any suggested links?

teekay
Goldmember
2,587 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 25, 2013 17:49 |  #7

cal888 wrote in post #16475421external link
....I bought the camera 11 months ago and it might still be under warranty. Any ideas?....

If it's less than a year old and still under warranty, I'd not bother messing with it but send it/take it in for replacement or repair.

rav223
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2013
Dec 06, 2013 15:45 |  #8

I have that exact same problem with my camera (2 weeks old).

Did you manage to fix it with the firmware ?

cal888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Jan 04, 2014 07:33 as a reply to rav223's post |  #9

^ No luck fixing with firmware. Sent it in to be fixed and bought a new Nikon.

Apparently according to a worker at the camera store in Santa Barbara, Canon had problems with several G15's and quietly recalled them. Of course when I contacted Canon customer support they'd "never heard of the problem."

I highly doubt I will ever by a Canon product again based on my experience with them.

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007
LAWTON OKLAHOMA USA
Jan 04, 2014 21:30 |  #10

cal888 wrote in post #16576598external link
^ No luck fixing with firmware. Sent it in to be fixed and bought a new Nikon.

Apparently according to a worker at the camera store in Santa Barbara, Canon had problems with several G15's and quietly recalled them. Of course when I contacted Canon customer support they'd "never heard of the problem."

I highly doubt I will ever by a Canon product again based on my experience with them.

Im sure they were prepared with plenty of fairy tales to get you to buy that Nikon.
Canon has always stood behind thier products from my experiences and go to great lengths to recall and repair known defects. They paid millions fixing millions of point and shoot cameras in a large recall a few years ago. They fixed two of mine way out of warranty.
Ive never had my G15 "quietly recalled". BS is all that is.

ra40
Joined Jan 2013
So. Cal
Jan 14, 2014 14:37 as a reply to mastertech01's post |  #11

That's sad to hear. Canon stands behind their products and service is quite good. Can say same for Nikon and Minolta (When they were in the game.) Any problems with a new camera bought through an authorized dealer is a straight trip back to them for a return-replacement or to Canon for warranty service. If this was bought at Samy's SB, they'd have taken care of you.

I can also understand being turned off. I have a similar feel with Gitzo after recently calling their parts dept. :rolleyes:

Setanta
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2015
Feb 24, 2015 08:50 |  #12

I had the very same problem could not zoom and menu button and others would not work. What I really wanted to do was re-load the firmware but could not get any info on this. I contacted the Irish help desk, which is in England, and found them most helpful.
What I was surprised at was that the warranty is country specific and I had bought it in Boston (Best price). I did ask about resetting and was told that a minor reset could be done by removing the battery (and card) and press on the shutter release for at least 5 seconds and voila it worked all buttons are now OK.

detente
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2015
Jul 18, 2015 14:29 as a reply to Setanta's post |  #13

I had the same problem yesterday during a hike in the wild--all of a sudden, no zoom, many of the buttons wouldn't work, functionality gone corkscrew in general. After trying to return the camera to its usual level of operability by turning it off and on and off and on, removing & replacing the batter and trying different choices on the preset wheel, I decided to just give in and take pictures using what the camera would do in this extremely altered state.

At first, it would take pictures only in C! & C2, which seemed frozen at extreme zoom-in and zoom-out (I forget which choice was which zoom level), with similarly frozen or no function for Function Set and other buttons. However, as I kept using the camera, zoom and button functions re-emerged sporadically and with sometimes more sometimes less functionality---it was as if the camera had had a stroke and needed to re-learn the functions it had lost. Now, 24 hours later, it is sometimes more functional, sometimes less, but never so impaired as it was at first. A couple of times it has been fully functional. So, I will continue to follow the camera, as it were, rather than trying to impose something on it---LET it get better rather than trying to MAKE it get better; it seems to have some kind of learning capability.

Of course, I am a psychologist, so this approach might not work for everybody. Engineers, for example, might have to take the whole thing apart and rebuild it with little tiny screwdrivers, slide rules and other obscure engineer ju-ju. I'm just here to say that a kind, patient and supportive approach seems to be working---camera wants to be frozen zoom? OK, let's see what kind of pictures we can take with it in that state...as it gains confidence and is not abandoned for experimenting with its controls on its own, it may build a better, more sympathetic relationship with you and you may discover ways of taking pictures you had not thought of in your previously top-down, vertical management approach. Computers, cameras and all things circuit-board are our little brothers! We must be kind to them!

Some of this is, of course, hyperbole. But it really does seem to be getting better (i.e., back to "normal", if you believe in that sort of thing) as I only take pictures as well as I can with the camera in its altered state, without trying to fix it.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,444 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 19, 2015 04:33 |  #14

Supposedly, many Canon P&S's have a hard reset procedure; steps below

Put fresh fully charged battery in the camera and remove the memory card.
Double click the on/off button and the camera will turn on and then off.
Hit the on/off button once more.

Might be worth a try, nothing to lose, maybe something to gain.

MTIPPIN
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2017
May 06, 2017 12:37 as a reply to Setanta's post |  #15

Hello! First time poster - have a G15 with the "won't zoom, menu buttons don't work" problem and found this thread. Thanks for the suggestion to remove battery and card and hold shutter release for at least 5 seconds. I held for 20 to be sure, and it restored all the functionality when I put the battery and sd card back in. Love the G15, glad to have it back with a way to reset it again if needed. Thank you!

sponsored links

9,120 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with Canon G15 -- won't zoom, some controls frozen
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.