Thread started 10 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 12:31   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Vagabonder
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2013
1 post
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi, can anyone suggest a suitable external storage device to backup CF cards without the use of a laptop? I am going to W Africa in the new year and need to travel with the minimum of "power" devices.

I can't find a replacement for the Epson P7000.

Help please

Post #1, Dec 10, 2013 12:31:48

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2012
2,371 posts
Sandy, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

Does it need to be battery powered? An Asus Tablet with keyboard dock might work, plug a CF reader into the usb port and good to go.

Post #2, Dec 10, 2013 12:41:03

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
1,529 posts
NorCal
[MORE/SHARE]

Wolverine come to mind, not super cheap, but should do what you want. I doubt tablets have enough storage. Personally I'd just get more CF cards and look at the photos at home, but if that's not an option, these seem to work well. Others can be found in the ads in photo magazines, not sure if Wolverine is available in the UK.

Post #3, Dec 10, 2013 12:48:12

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2012
2,371 posts
Sandy, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

If not for the backup solution I would suggest more CF cards as well. The tablet itself probably wont have enough storage but a large thumb drive or something similar would work, using the tablet as the pass through.

Post #4, Dec 10, 2013 13:09:26 as a reply to phantelope's post 21 minutes earlier.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,420 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

You need a Hyperdrive Colorspace. Buy the bare chassis and stick your own 2.5" drive in there. It's the fastest, longest-lasting of these devices.

Post #5, Dec 11, 2013 03:39:06

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Replacement for the Epson? Def the HyperSpace ColorSpace UDMA. Great unit and the best option IMO of its type.

Post #6, Dec 11, 2013 11:00:46

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

lerroy
Joined May 2010
414 posts
WA Desert Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

yep as others have Said hyperspace UDMA is awesome, has been trekking with me all over Nepal :)

Post #7, Dec 13, 2013 07:45:15

JLB Photography Websiteexternal link
5D MKII / 5D MKIII - 17-40L - 85 1.2 L - 50 1.2 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 100 L 2.8 Macro - 24-70 2.8L - Samyung 14mm 2.8 - 300mm F4 L

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
Joined May 2002
26,008 posts
NW Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

digital foci? seems much smaller

http://www.adorama.com​/DFPS2320G.htmlexternal link

Post #8, Dec 13, 2013 07:58:51 as a reply to lerroy's post 13 minutes earlier.

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link

RTPVid
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
3,365 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16523996external link

You can't view the pictures with that product. A product from the same company (Digital Foci) that is more directly comparably to the Hyperdrive Colorspace is this one:

http://www.adorama.com​/DFPP35500.htmlexternal link

Post #9, Dec 13, 2013 08:47:47

Tom

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,420 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16523996external link

And much, much slower (5 MB/s vs 27 MB/s) and shorter battery life (80 min vs 120 min) that the ColorSpace UDMA2. These two would be enough to make the price difference worth it for me. When I'm on holiday where power isn't guaranteed then I want something that can last.

The PhotoSafe II can do a max of 24GB on a single charge (80x60x5MB) whereas the Hyperdrive can do 194GB. When there are two of you shooting on safari it's easy to shoot more than the PhotoSafe II could comfortably eat in one go.

The other question I'd have is - can you switch the hard drive if it should fail?

But it does seem quite a good deal for those willing to put up with the slow transfer speed.

Post #10, Dec 13, 2013 08:54:16

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
Joined May 2002
26,008 posts
NW Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Do you need to see the pictures on this device? I would think that if your purpose was to just offload files from your cards, then continue on your merry way, you wouldn't really view the files. I had 2 different Epson viewers, and they were great.

I guess back to the OP's question, why even have one of these devices? Wouldn't just buying large CF cards with current sale prices be easier and lighter with no power needs? Just get a good sealed storage box, like Pelican or others that make these for cards.

Perhaps there is more intent than what was initially posted though.

Post #11, Dec 13, 2013 09:07:02 as a reply to hollis_f's post 12 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,420 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16524125external link
I guess back to the OP's question, why even have one of these devices?

For me it's for backup. I have one of these devices, so does my friend. At the end of each day, while preparing to go out for dinner, we each back up our cards to our Hyperdrives. Then we swap over and I copy her cards to my device and vice-versa. Two copies of everything.

Post #12, Dec 13, 2013 09:13:03

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
Joined May 2002
26,008 posts
NW Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

hollis_f wrote in post #16524137external link
For me it's for backup. I have one of these devices, so does my friend. At the end of each day, while preparing to go out for dinner, we each back up our cards to our Hyperdrives. Then we swap over and I copy her cards to my device and vice-versa. Two copies of everything.

manual raid, gotta love it!

Post #13, Dec 13, 2013 09:14:54

jbrackjr
Joined Dec 2011
435 posts
Georgia, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

[QUOTE=TeamSpeed;16524​125]
I guess back to the OP's question, why even have one of these devices? Wouldn't just buying large CF cards with current sale prices be easier and lighter with no power needs? Just get a good sealed storage box, like Pelican or others that make these for cards.

^^ This.
When traveling light, just bring plenty of cards.

Post #14, Dec 13, 2013 09:41:00

Jim
Gear List

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2012
2,371 posts
Sandy, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

I believe the OP said as a back up, so extra cards does not work that. When on long trips I keep one set on my card and another on my harddrive/thumbdrive that I plug into my tablet. The tablet alone has enough for a casual family weekend, but if I am planning to shoot a lot then the HD goes as well. If power is an issue, I take my keyboard dock which has extra battery power and a thumbdrive that does not require extra power. I got a week of backups in Glacier NP this summer without recharging the tablet.

Post #15, Dec 13, 2013 09:43:07 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post 28 minutes earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Multi media storage and viewer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES