Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of December 2013 (Tue)   #1
Vagabonder

Smile Multi media storage and viewer

Hi, can anyone suggest a suitable external storage device to backup CF cards without the use of a laptop? I am going to W Africa in the new year and need to travel with the minimum of "power" devices.

I can't find a replacement for the Epson P7000.

Help please
Vagabonder is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of December 2013 (Tue)   #2
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember

Default Re: Multi media storage and viewer

Does it need to be battery powered? An Asus Tablet with keyboard dock might work, plug a CF reader into the usb port and good to go.
Littlejon Dsgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of December 2013 (Tue)   #3
phantelope

Wolverine come to mind, not super cheap, but should do what you want. I doubt tablets have enough storage. Personally I'd just get more CF cards and look at the photos at home, but if that's not an option, these seem to work well. Others can be found in the ads in photo magazines, not sure if Wolverine is available in the UK.
phantelope is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of December 2013 (Tue)   #4
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember

If not for the backup solution I would suggest more CF cards as well. The tablet itself probably wont have enough storage but a large thumb drive or something similar would work, using the tablet as the pass through.
Old 11th of December 2013 (Wed)   #5
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

You need a Hyperdrive Colorspace. Buy the bare chassis and stick your own 2.5" drive in there. It's the fastest, longest-lasting of these devices.
hollis_f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of December 2013 (Wed)   #6
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Replacement for the Epson? Def the HyperSpace ColorSpace UDMA. Great unit and the best option IMO of its type.
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #7
lerroy

yep as others have Said hyperspace UDMA is awesome, has been trekking with me all over Nepal
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #8
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

digital foci? seems much smaller

http://www.adorama.com/DFPS2320G.html
TeamSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #9
RTPVid
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSpeed View Post

You can't view the pictures with that product. A product from the same company (Digital Foci) that is more directly comparably to the Hyperdrive Colorspace is this one:

http://www.adorama.com/DFPP35500.html
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #10
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Quote:

And much, much slower (5 MB/s vs 27 MB/s) and shorter battery life (80 min vs 120 min) that the ColorSpace UDMA2. These two would be enough to make the price difference worth it for me. When I'm on holiday where power isn't guaranteed then I want something that can last.

The PhotoSafe II can do a max of 24GB on a single charge (80x60x5MB) whereas the Hyperdrive can do 194GB. When there are two of you shooting on safari it's easy to shoot more than the PhotoSafe II could comfortably eat in one go.

The other question I'd have is - can you switch the hard drive if it should fail?

But it does seem quite a good deal for those willing to put up with the slow transfer speed.
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #11
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

Do you need to see the pictures on this device? I would think that if your purpose was to just offload files from your cards, then continue on your merry way, you wouldn't really view the files. I had 2 different Epson viewers, and they were great.

I guess back to the OP's question, why even have one of these devices? Wouldn't just buying large CF cards with current sale prices be easier and lighter with no power needs? Just get a good sealed storage box, like Pelican or others that make these for cards.

Perhaps there is more intent than what was initially posted though.
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #12
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I guess back to the OP's question, why even have one of these devices?
For me it's for backup. I have one of these devices, so does my friend. At the end of each day, while preparing to go out for dinner, we each back up our cards to our Hyperdrives. Then we swap over and I copy her cards to my device and vice-versa. Two copies of everything.
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #13
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis_f View Post
For me it's for backup. I have one of these devices, so does my friend. At the end of each day, while preparing to go out for dinner, we each back up our cards to our Hyperdrives. Then we swap over and I copy her cards to my device and vice-versa. Two copies of everything.
manual raid, gotta love it!
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #14
jbrackjr

[quote=TeamSpeed;16524125]
I guess back to the OP's question, why even have one of these devices? Wouldn't just buying large CF cards with current sale prices be easier and lighter with no power needs? Just get a good sealed storage box, like Pelican or others that make these for cards.

^^ This.
When traveling light, just bring plenty of cards.
Old 13th of December 2013 (Fri)   #15
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember

I believe the OP said as a back up, so extra cards does not work that. When on long trips I keep one set on my card and another on my harddrive/thumbdrive that I plug into my tablet. The tablet alone has enough for a casual family weekend, but if I am planning to shoot a lot then the HD goes as well. If power is an issue, I take my keyboard dock which has extra battery power and a thumbdrive that does not require extra power. I got a week of backups in Glacier NP this summer without recharging the tablet.