Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 16 Dec 2013 (Monday) 13:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

YN-E3-RT | my first impressions

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 16, 2013 13:40 |  #1

HEREexternal link is my blog post with more information.

Bottom Line
A) it delivers autofocus assist light capabilities
B) it work in Gr mode with pre-2012 cameras
C) it is easy to update firmware via the USB connection

I think Canon may have just sold their last ST-E3-RT.

I should probably have put mine on the sale forum before I made this post. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Dec 16, 2013 14:33 |  #2

Price?

MARK

amirg
Joined Apr 2012
Ontario, Canada
Dec 16, 2013 15:29 |  #3

The Loft Studios wrote in post #16532105external link
Price?

Around $140 from thephotogadget or YN's ebay store.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,788 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Northern NJ
Dec 16, 2013 15:32 |  #4

Wonder if they will publish a mac firmware tool?

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

110yd
756 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Dec 16, 2013 16:08 |  #5

jptsr1 wrote in post #16532284external link
Wonder if they will publish a mac firmware tool?

I doubt if there will be a MAC firmware update tool. Engineering design/programming tools are generally PC based, with few Linux based tools.

110yd

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 16, 2013 16:12 |  #6

In my email exchange with GL the implication was Windows only. I had the same situation with Pixel updates as well. Pocket Wizard did their updates in a utility that runs on the Mac but its a much more elaborate process and not anything that Yongnou or others should want to emulate. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Dec 16, 2013 17:06 |  #7

Thanks for posting a shot of the AF assist beam. Would you say that this provides coverage of all 61 AF points in the 5D3/1DX?

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
Temecula
Dec 16, 2013 18:07 |  #8

Also thanks for testing it with a large lens. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if my 300 did block the AF assist(BTW the hood is just under 150mm(5.75") and is about 430mm(17") long with 2x TC) but I do like to set up speedlites near the feeders in the evening so the AF assist would only help for song birds as I prefer to shoot the hummers in flight(Ai-servo).

I'm not sure that I get how this supports groups any different for pre-2012 bodies from your review. You did it the same way on the XSi as I do it with my 1DIV and ST-E3-RT, except for my this combo it doesn't reset anything if I go into the in camera flash menu. I do remember reading that the YN was going to allow 5 groups instead just 3 is that all there is, or is something else?

Anyway I'm going to order one, wish I had it last night as AF-assist would have been helpful.

kobeson
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Dec 16, 2013 18:18 |  #9

Have you tried out 2nd curtain sync yet? (haven't read your blog yet)

1Dx | 5D III | 1D IV | 8-15 | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 400L II | 1.4x III | Σ85 | 100L | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT
website  (external link)facebook (external link)

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 16, 2013 19:16 |  #10

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16532672external link
Also thanks for testing it with a large lens. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if my 300 did block the AF assist(BTW the hood is just under 150mm(5.75") and is about 430mm(17") long with 2x TC) but I do like to set up speedlites near the feeders in the evening so the AF assist would only help for song birds as I prefer to shoot the hummers in flight(Ai-servo).

I'm not sure that I get how this supports groups any different for pre-2012 bodies from your review. You did it the same way on the XSi as I do it with my 1DIV and ST-E3-RT, except for my this combo it doesn't reset anything if I go into the in camera flash menu. I do remember reading that the YN was going to allow 5 groups instead just 3 is that all there is, or is something else?

Anyway I'm going to order one, wish I had it last night as AF-assist would have been helpful.

It supports all the Gr features that are available in the 600EX-RT menu. So, A through E, each group can be set for ETTL, Auto, Manual, or turned off. Each group is indecently controlled for power or FEC if ETTL. Way past anything that the Canon optical system can offer.

kobeson wrote in post #16532697external link
Have you tried out 2nd curtain sync yet? (haven't read your blog yet)

Not yet but its on the list. :-)

WillMass
584 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Behind a lens somewhere
Dec 16, 2013 20:32 as a reply to dmward's post |  #11

Thanks David. I just pulled the trigger on one.

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,788 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Northern NJ
Dec 16, 2013 20:49 |  #12

dmward wrote in post #16532387external link
In my email exchange with GL the implication was Windows only. I had the same situation with Pixel updates as well. Pocket Wizard did their updates in a utility that runs on the Mac but its a much more elaborate process and not anything that Yongnou or others should want to emulate. :-)

Well that stinks. I'll have to go in the basement and dig out an old laptop or something I guess.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
Temecula
Dec 16, 2013 21:02 |  #13

dmward wrote in post #16532818external link
It supports all the Gr features that are available in the 600EX-RT menu. So, A through E, each group can be set for ETTL, Auto, Manual, or turned off. Each group is indecently controlled for power or FEC if ETTL. Way past anything that the Canon optical system can offer.

I'm pretty sure I can do all that with my ST-E3-RT on my pre-2012 body except for only group A-C. I don't use my Canon RT system on my older bodies often, but it seemed like all I was missing was changing group powers in camera menu and what I've read that it can only do 3 groups(I've only used 2 as I currently only have 2 RT speedlites).

In fact I just used my 1DIV to take a product shot of my 5DIII with my new tripod/panning set up and lens, set group A:B to 1:2(from ST-E3-RT) and used FEC +1(set in camera). Couldn't your XSi also do that with your ST-E3-RT? I haven't tried it on my 40D as I'm only holding on to it because it's the body I have a complete underwater set up for at this time.

I never owned any of the Canon optical systems so I'm not very familiar with how limited they are compared to their RT system.

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 16, 2013 21:52 |  #14

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16533094external link
I'm pretty sure I can do all that with my ST-E3-RT on my pre-2012 body except for only group A-C. I don't use my Canon RT system on my older bodies often, but it seemed like all I was missing was changing group powers in camera menu and what I've read that it can only do 3 groups(I've only used 2 as I currently only have 2 RT speedlites).

In fact I just used my 1DIV to take a product shot of my 5DIII with my new tripod/panning set up and lens, set group A:B to 1:2(from ST-E3-RT) and used FEC +1(set in camera). Couldn't your XSi also do that with your ST-E3-RT? I haven't tried it on my 40D as I'm only holding on to it because it's the body I have a complete underwater set up for at this time.

I never owned any of the Canon optical systems so I'm not very familiar with how limited they are compared to their RT system.

I got the 600EX-RTs and ST-E3-RT when they were first introduced. I still had one 5DII along with my 5DIII.

The bottom line is there are significant give aways when using an ST-E3-RT on a pre-2012 body. I watched the Syl Arena videos, and did the same work arounds, but the only way to get all the features is to mate the ST-E3-RT with a 2012 or later body. Can it emulate an ST-E2 sure. But that's just like using older speedlites in optical mode.

The YN-E3-RT delivers, based on my preliminary testing, to ALL the 600EX-RT system capabilities to pre-2012 cameras. That's a significant additional benefit, in my view.

mike1812
283 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Houston, TX
Dec 17, 2013 11:04 |  #15

jptsr1 wrote in post #16533057external link
Well that stinks. I'll have to go in the basement and dig out an old laptop or something I guess.

Or install Parallels (or other similar) and Windows on your Mac.

1DX | 5DIII / BG-E11 Grip | EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | EF 24-70 L (I) | EF 50 1.4 | EF 200 2.8L | Sigma 85 1.4 | EF 16-35 f/4L | (2) 600EX-RT / ST-E3-RT | 430EX | (2) AB800s | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 70-200 f/4 G | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | plus too many doodads to list

sponsored links

50,229 views & 0 likes for this thread
YN-E3-RT | my first impressions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.