Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Dec 2013 (Saturday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lesson learned

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 21, 2013 23:23 |  #1

I shoot HS sports. After I take the T&I at the beginning of a season, I package the orders and give them to a team parent ,who gets the to the players. In this case, I have been dealing with the same football mom for 6 years (parent club president) This year, I took the shots in September and just this week, I had a parent come up to me at a basketball game and say he never received his son's print's. (This parent has been a repeat customer over the years, and has always ordered more than my largest package.) He really didn't have a reason as to why he waited so long to tell me. I asked the team parent if this kids pictures were delivered and she said that she was 99% sure they were. I looked at my Zenfolio orders and saw what I ordered. My feeling is that the kid got the prints and they never made it home. I doubt the parent is lying although the kid might be when he says he never got the package to bring home.

I'm going to reprint them. I would rather be wrong that way than not print them and be wrong. Going forward, I will have the parent that I deliver the packages to, sign a list of the orders delivered then they will be responsible.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 22, 2013 09:37 |  #2

Mike R wrote in post #16546171 (external link)
Going forward, I will have the parent that I deliver the packages to, sign a list of the orders delivered then they will be responsible.

Also, have the person who the prints are delivered to sign and date that they received their prints.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Mike ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 22, 2013 13:06 |  #3

Old Coot wrote in post #16546736 (external link)
Also, have the person who the prints are delivered to sign and date that they received their prints.

Good idea. It's sad that it has come to this.

Mike R

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 22, 2013 13:44 |  #4

If this is the first 'lost' order in 6 years of doing this I would be less worried about who is 'lying'. You have an opportunity to provide great customer service to one of your large repeat customers.

So adjust your policy going forward, but I wouldn't really lose sleep over it. You provided the pictures, client should be happy. It's only too bad they waited so long to let you know. I would be happy they did, rather than blabbing to their friends that you stood them up on the order.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,456 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2013 13:49 |  #5

In this case, the cost value of prints is small, compared to the value of a satisfied customer.

It's still worth trying to track down where those prints went, if only to improve your process in the future.

I agree with Collin: If this is your first lost order or reprint in 6 years, then you're doing pretty well.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 22, 2013 13:57 |  #6

They're probably still in the kid's backpack...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Mike ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 22, 2013 15:56 |  #7

CMfromIL wrote in post #16547215 (external link)
If this is the first 'lost' order in 6 years of doing this I would be less worried about who is 'lying'. You have an opportunity to provide great customer service to one of your large repeat customers.

So adjust your policy going forward, but I wouldn't really lose sleep over it. You provided the pictures, client should be happy. It's only too bad they waited so long to let you know. I would be happy they did, rather than blabbing to their friends that you stood them up on the order.

In a total of 7 years, I have had one bad Credit Card, one Check and 2 unhappy customers who became repeat customers when I satisfied their complaints. This one surprised me because he didn't call me at the beginning of September when the prints were delivered to the team but waited until now. Guess it's not too bad a record.

Mike R

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 22, 2013 16:47 |  #8

I'm a teacher. in all likelyhood the kid lost them. Happens all the time. You'd be surprised about all the notices, letters, and papers that never make it home. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things the prints are miniscule compared to the good customer service reprinting them is.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Mr.Kenmuir
316 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 23, 2013 00:45 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #9

the OP did say High School, I know when I was in High School 90% of the stuff I received ended up stuffed in my locker, so it is in all likely hood in the students locker or backpack. Either way a reprint to a repeat customer is a good idea. Also having them sign for them seals the deal.

Vancouver B.C. Family Based Photographer | Flickr (external link) | Official Site (external link)

sponsored links

1,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lesson learned
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.