FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 23 Dec 2013 (Monday) 09:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

artyH
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
1,832 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the Manfrotto 055 PROB and a ball head. I am considering getting a 3-way pan head for it, and my current Manfrotto choices include the 460 mg (reasonable price and light), the 808RC4 (heavy and stable...I hope, with a similar price), and the 410 geared head (2X the cost of the others).
Intended use would be the occasional shot of artwork for my wife, and perhaps some macro photography. I rarely use a tripod now, except when essential, but I can see the need coming up. I would want to use relatively light lenses on it, mainly the Sigma 50 macro and the Canon 100 macro (non IS).
Any feedback on these tripod heads would be appreciated. I am not interested in an expensive ball head, and expect the midi head that I have from Manfrotto will be satisfactory for occasional use. I would consider other brands if they are at least as good as the Manfrotto, but I don't want to go over $250 or so, and less would be better. I am interested in feedback on these models and possible alternatives.

Post #1, Dec 23, 2013 09:08:46

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,856 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you need precise alignment of the camera, the 410 head is superb.

Because I use the Manfrotto RC2 quick release plates for all my other tripod heads, I mounted a Manfrotto 323 RC2 adapterexternal link on to the RC4 plate on my 410 head. The combination is quite stable and works very well.

Post #2, Dec 23, 2013 10:00:58

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

johnf3f
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
1,859 posts
Wales
[MORE/SHARE]

Unfortunately the Manfrotto 410 is heavy and slow to use. However, having said that, whenever precise framing is needed then it is a winner. I use mine for Macro and nearly all my landscape work.

Post #3, Dec 23, 2013 16:18:37

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

douglas ­ frost
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2013
17 posts
sydney, australia
[MORE/SHARE]

i find the 410 quite quick and easy to use, especially if you need precise adjustments. if you are able to, try one out in a shop with a camera on. the dual mode adjustment for each axis lets you gain precise set-up really quickly.

i have had a 460mg in the past, but found it too small and fiddly. i have also used other 3-way heads, but once i started using the 410, i've never looked back and now use the 405 (even heavier but a joy to use!).

if you want lightweight, perhaps look at some of the lighter ballheads. i've just bought a rrs bh-30lr for a travel tripod and it is fantastic. others on the forum would be able to recommend similar, less expensive options.

Post #4, Dec 23, 2013 16:35:22

artyH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
1,832 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for your feedback. I decided to pick up the 808 RC4 for now, and then get the 410 junior later. From what I can tell, the 410 is what I will want down the road for macro, but I think that this can wait for 2 or 3 months until we get warmer weather. Meanwhile, I will play with the 808 3-way and a budget focus rail that I got from Adorama.

Post #5, Dec 23, 2013 18:08:40

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
artyH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
1,832 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

SkipD wrote in post #16548949external link
If you need precise alignment of the camera, the 410 head is superb.

Because I use the Manfrotto RC2 quick release plates for all my other tripod heads, I mounted a Manfrotto 323 RC2 adapterexternal link on to the RC4 plate on my 410 head. The combination is quite stable and works very well.

I am guessing that you replace the RC4 with the adapter. Is that how it works?

Post #6, Dec 24, 2013 22:24:18

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,856 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

artyH wrote in post #16552403external link
I am guessing that you replace the RC4 with the adapter. Is that how it works?

Nope. I simply attached the adapter to the RC4 plate as if the adapter was the camera. Now, the camera with the more-or-less permanently attached RC2 plate fits the adapter that's almost always on the 410 head. I have an additional RC4 plate for other uses.

Post #7, Dec 24, 2013 23:22:41

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
461 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto 410 junior or 3-way head.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES