Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of December 2013 (Mon)   #1
artyH

Default Manfrotto 410 junior or 3-way head.

I have the Manfrotto 055 PROB and a ball head. I am considering getting a 3-way pan head for it, and my current Manfrotto choices include the 460 mg (reasonable price and light), the 808RC4 (heavy and stable...I hope, with a similar price), and the 410 geared head (2X the cost of the others).
Intended use would be the occasional shot of artwork for my wife, and perhaps some macro photography. I rarely use a tripod now, except when essential, but I can see the need coming up. I would want to use relatively light lenses on it, mainly the Sigma 50 macro and the Canon 100 macro (non IS).
Any feedback on these tripod heads would be appreciated. I am not interested in an expensive ball head, and expect the midi head that I have from Manfrotto will be satisfactory for occasional use. I would consider other brands if they are at least as good as the Manfrotto, but I don't want to go over $250 or so, and less would be better. I am interested in feedback on these models and possible alternatives.
artyH is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of December 2013 (Mon)   #2
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Manfrotto 410 junior or 3-way head.

If you need precise alignment of the camera, the 410 head is superb.

Because I use the Manfrotto RC2 quick release plates for all my other tripod heads, I mounted a Manfrotto 323 RC2 adapter on to the RC4 plate on my 410 head. The combination is quite stable and works very well.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2013 (Mon)   #3
johnf3f

Unfortunately the Manfrotto 410 is heavy and slow to use. However, having said that, whenever precise framing is needed then it is a winner. I use mine for Macro and nearly all my landscape work.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of December 2013 (Mon)   #4
douglas frost

i find the 410 quite quick and easy to use, especially if you need precise adjustments. if you are able to, try one out in a shop with a camera on. the dual mode adjustment for each axis lets you gain precise set-up really quickly.

i have had a 460mg in the past, but found it too small and fiddly. i have also used other 3-way heads, but once i started using the 410, i've never looked back and now use the 405 (even heavier but a joy to use!).

if you want lightweight, perhaps look at some of the lighter ballheads. i've just bought a rrs bh-30lr for a travel tripod and it is fantastic. others on the forum would be able to recommend similar, less expensive options.
douglas frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2013 (Mon)   #5
artyH

Thanks for your feedback. I decided to pick up the 808 RC4 for now, and then get the 410 junior later. From what I can tell, the 410 is what I will want down the road for macro, but I think that this can wait for 2 or 3 months until we get warmer weather. Meanwhile, I will play with the 808 3-way and a budget focus rail that I got from Adorama.
Old 24th of December 2013 (Tue)   #6
artyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
If you need precise alignment of the camera, the 410 head is superb.

Because I use the Manfrotto RC2 quick release plates for all my other tripod heads, I mounted a Manfrotto 323 RC2 adapter on to the RC4 plate on my 410 head. The combination is quite stable and works very well.
I am guessing that you replace the RC4 with the adapter. Is that how it works?
Old 24th of December 2013 (Tue)   #7
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyH View Post
I am guessing that you replace the RC4 with the adapter. Is that how it works?
Nope. I simply attached the adapter to the RC4 plate as if the adapter was the camera. Now, the camera with the more-or-less permanently attached RC2 plate fits the adapter that's almost always on the 410 head. I have an additional RC4 plate for other uses.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote