Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 26 Dec 2013 (Thursday) 09:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Another "Cameras Are Doomed by Smartphones" Article

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Dec 26, 2013 09:17 |  #1

http://www.timesdispat​ch.com ...02.html#facebook-commentsexternal link

This comment is telling though

"Consumers don’t care as much about image quality as they do the software that allows them unlimited, immediate sharing on social networks such as Facebook and Instagram, mobile image editing and manipulation, and cloud-based backup. “Image quality is now second to connectivity to Web services like Facebook,” he said."

Thus, one of the largest reasons folks no longer want to pay for quality...at least right now....;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
Kyle ­ Blunt
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Kent, UK
Dec 26, 2013 09:41 |  #2

Yawn, another article on this.

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My Websiteexternal linkFacebookexternal link
My 500pxexternal link

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Mass
Dec 26, 2013 09:47 |  #3

Why even bother with another one of these threads... it always goes the same.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Dec 26, 2013 09:47 |  #4

My solution... Sony A7 + Mobile Phone = Instant uploading + Quality images...

If you can't beat them... join them and do it better.

Peter

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,332 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 26, 2013 10:13 |  #5

I think by now it's pretty clear by now that connectivity is extremely important to many, if not most, and that the quality of mobiles and pads has surpassed what most conciser a minimum quality level. I can see it accelerating as the quality of portable devices continues to improve. But there will always be situations where a more capable camera will be needed. The market may continue to significantly shrink in 2014 but i don't see it reaching zero any time soon. What may happen though is that the camera companies which are not doing well now or have very small market shares may have the plug pulled on them leaving just one or two.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Dec 26, 2013 10:23 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #6

I just love how they keep repeating the same old line of the "Demise of the camera"...as though the camera manuf's are simply going to either give up and throw in the towel, or stand still and let technology pass them by. Of course when folks get into situations where a "real" camera is what is needed, then some of them realize the phone on their camera has it's limits, some will care, others will not..;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010
MN
Dec 26, 2013 10:35 |  #7

digirebelva wrote in post #16554829external link
...as though the camera manuf's are simply going to ... stand still and let technology pass them by...

Can anyone spell "Kodak"?

Tom

gjl711
53,332 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dec 26, 2013 10:52 |  #8

RTPVid wrote in post #16554852external link
Can anyone spell "Kodak"?

Or Poloroid.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Dec 26, 2013 10:57 |  #9

gjl711 wrote in post #16554888external link
Or Poloroid.

Yes. It's spelled Polaroid.

Gear List

gjl711
53,332 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dec 26, 2013 10:58 |  #10

digirebelva wrote in post #16554829external link
I just love how they keep repeating the same old line of the "Demise of the camera"...as though the camera manuf's are simply going to either give up and throw in the towel, or stand still and let technology pass them by. Of course when folks get into situations where a "real" camera is what is needed, then some of them realize the phone on their camera has it's limits, some will care, others will not..;)

Aren't there level of demise though? Sort of what film went through. Before the 1990s nearly all images were captured on film, then the first digitals started showing up. Many lamented the death of film and here we are, just 20 years later and film is still here but no where near the same levels it was in the early 90's. As digital got better, film was used less and less. I can see the same pattern. As phones and tablets get better, SLRs and big cameras will get used less and less. It will never go completely away but I can easily see where it fills a small market segment relegated to enthusiasts and pros.

gjl711
53,332 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dec 26, 2013 10:59 |  #11

Numenorean wrote in post #16554904external link
Yes. It's spelled Polaroid.

See.. it's been so long that I can't even remember how it's spelled. :)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Dec 26, 2013 11:05 |  #12

So what are these people posting? Photos of food. Photos of friends. Photos of friends eating food. Photos of drinking. Photos of them at ballgames. Photos of them doing things. So lots of snapshots which look just as bad from a photographic standpoint as if they were taken with a $40,000 Phase One. So who cares what these people use to take photos? These people are not photographers. They are snapshotters. Photographers are not going to be using smartphones for their pictures.

Gear List

Bsmooth
853 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
Dec 26, 2013 11:08 as a reply to Numenorean's post |  #13

I'm not sure about all cameras, but Olympus's sales have been considerably more affected it seems than other MFG's. So much so that I have read 2 articles that Olympus might be going the way of the Dodo.
Have to wait and see, but I've always liked there cameras, myself.

Bruce

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Dec 26, 2013 11:36 |  #14

People that are happy with cell phone images are the people that used $100-200 compacts in auto mode. It's only the entry level camera market that is dying. That's why there are more quality compacts than ever. Many companies have stated their intent to dramatically slow entry level camera development, while shifting more and more to higher end products.

For people like us, times are better than ever.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Bsmooth
853 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
Dec 26, 2013 14:01 as a reply to tkbslc's post |  #15

Yes but these are businesses as well, and when it gets down to it there in it to make money, and thats the bottom line. When other things take away from that, there revenue goes down.
So yes the doom and gloom folks are eating this up I'm sure, but its definately having an impact.
My wife was a devout photographer, with quite a few lenses and had tried both Pentax and Canon bodies.
Recently though her camerabag is gathering dust, she hasn't picked up either lenses or camera bodies in over a year.
She's been taking photographs for over 20 years too.
What does she use now? Her Iphone. As much as I didn't want to like those images, compared to her smartphone from 2 years ago, the new one is leaps and bounds ahead.
Is it good for wildlife or birds? No way. But for a lot of other things its pretty darned good.

Bruce

sponsored links

2,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another "Cameras Are Doomed by Smartphones" Article
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.