Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 31 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 20:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

NO POST PROCESSING ALLOWED!!

bugadrienne
290 posts
Joined Dec 2013
South Florida, USA
Dec 31, 2013 20:26 |  #1

NO TOUCHIE!!! NO EDITING ALLOWED!

Anyone care to share?

Photos that they think don't need adjusting other than size? It doesn't matter what camera. Film (any format), DSLR, P&S, pinhole, etc...
Any image that came out decent. The first time, or no time at all.

When I shot film (pentax k1000, and canon eos elan ,usually manual), I was satisfied with many prints that were done by services. We had a darkroom, but who has the time?

I was having trouble finding a thread that was for photos straight from camera without post processing. I understand that one may need to transfer photos to a computer to upload and share. I am looking to see if anyone is happy with their untouched files.

NO EDITING WHATSOEVER. I will start with an unedited phone pic that got the Daily Dozen on National Geographic "Your Shot".

It was my first pic uploaded on a site that more than a handful of people would be able to view, but it is still inspiring and causes an emotional reaction for some people.

That is what got me wanting to take photos again after a long break.

I started working for Qualex (a kodak developing company) just as digital was starting to show that anyone could do what some of us could only do in a darkroom, with a click of a button, no less! I was discouraged and no longer had interest in my hobby. Processing and viewing snapshots all day can really deter some people. :-(

The only things that were nice about that job to me, were: giving advice on what lighting and how to make the best of the film, (*which is discouraged), and the competitive sales rates. I was lucky to get the job with my experience. They really wanted salespeople.

( *Explained: Higher filmspeeds were more profit, they preferred to hire inexperienced people so they can tell a customer that all their problems were from purchasing film speeds under 400. "Buy higher film speeds and your pictures will come out better!" LOL! )

We know that isnt' the case when you know what you are doing and don't want grain or noise!

If you purposefullly want grain for effect and moodyness, or need the speed for fast moving objects or low light conditions, that is great!

Your photo doesn't have to mean anything to anyone but yourself. However, I would love to know why it means something to you. Please write a little something about the shot, even if it was just pure luck! Some of the awesome ones are!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Dec 31, 2013 20:36 |  #2

I think you may have just opened a hornets nest. . . . . .. :lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,025 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 31, 2013 22:01 |  #3

Hmmm... I have lots of images that have no or minimal processing other than to convert from raw to jpeg but if I would have been shooting jpeg, these would be pretty much straight out of the camera other than cropping to size.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/11651705834_33005577af_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5525/11118182544_1db694daf1_b.jpg
IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5453/9074073061_310179fb00_b.jpg

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

EJphotos
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Jan 01, 2014 02:32 |  #4

This'll be fun! I have quote a few I'll post when my internet is up (on 4G phone now)

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Jan 01, 2014 03:41 as a reply to EJphotos's post |  #5

I was under the impression that jpegs are images that are post processed by the camera from RAW data. Can RAW images that are imported but only treated with an import pre-set be included as this would take them up to the same level as jpegs?

Only asking as Scatterbrained said "I think you may have just opened a hornets nest. . . . . .. " and someone has got to poke a stick into the hornets nest to get them started.

:p

Personally, I like the spirit of the competition so good luck with it.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/external link

bugadrienne
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Dec 2013
South Florida, USA
Jan 01, 2014 14:16 |  #6

Lastblackdog wrote in post #16568534 (external link)
I was under the impression that jpegs are images that are post processed by the camera from RAW data. Can RAW images that are imported but only treated with an import pre-set be included as this would take them up to the same level as jpegs?

Only asking as Scatterbrained said "I think you may have just opened a hornets nest. . . . . .. " and someone has got to poke a stick into the hornets nest to get them started.

:p

Personally, I like the spirit of the competition so good luck with it.

Pre processing maybe? ;-)a
I guess it would be no different than having your film developed and printed by a 1 hour photo machine. We preset and adjusted those as well. Different operators have different preferences and it is evident if one prints from the same negative on 2 machines.

Here is another one that I like that was just the B&W setting. I like it because it was my daughter's birthday and she was impatient with me about having to sit for it. I think it came out nice after the hard work of getting the shot. She just wanted to go to Chuck e cheese already and was making faces to mess the shots up. lol

HOSTED PHOTO

philk54
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Macungie, PA
Jan 04, 2014 09:30 |  #7

While I was recently in Siena, Italy, there was a Steve McCurry exhibit at the Santa Maria della Scala museum, as advertised by this large poster. There was also a local art class working on an assignment in the piazza, and this young lady was one of the students. To me, she looked very similar to the girl in McCurry's famous Nat Geo cover, and her juxtaposition to the poster really struck me.

HOSTED PHOTO

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Jan 04, 2014 10:04 |  #8

Taken with my iphone:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/11754473343_99642c24e5_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...s/ewheeler20/117544​73343/] (external link)
A family vacation from last Christmas in Tortola.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,960 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 04, 2014 19:54 |  #9

G15

IMAGE: http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu134/OhLook/POTN/yellowbikenoPP_zps3da51ccf.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s641.photobucke​t.com ...noPP_zps3da51ccf.jp​g.html] (external link)

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

bugadrienne
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Dec 2013
South Florida, USA
Jan 04, 2014 20:46 as a reply to philk54's post |  #10

Good stuff going up. :cool: Thank you for sharing some unedited photos. I just love to see some nice photos without wondering what has been done to them. ;)

@philk54, Great moment captured with a bonus memorable photo included. :D

Cliffbsa
Joined Jan 2011
Clovis,CA
Jan 04, 2014 23:09 |  #11

Jpeg, straight out of the camera, Rebel xti with 100mm macro.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Jan 05, 2014 11:35 as a reply to Cliffbsa's post |  #12

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8415/8710460421_6f1025f3c1_b.jpg

Camera generated jpeg.

Olympus E-PL5
Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
1/125th sec
f/6.3
iso 3200

Jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Rapid City, SD
Jan 05, 2014 13:14 |  #13

No post processing is a term that always requires more explanation, since all digital images must be processed. . .same goes for film. Otherwise, it's called a negative. So, here's a specific question. If I have a Lightroom preset that's applied on import, is that considered "post processed" by your definition? It's going to do things like adjust contrast and sharpness, apply sharpening and noise reduction. . .you know, things the camera does when it applies a picture style to create that "unprocessed" jpeg. With memory card sizes and speeds these days, it is extremely rare that I shoot in anything other than raw.

philk54
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Macungie, PA
Jan 05, 2014 16:43 |  #14

bugadrienne wrote in post #16578153external link
@philk54, Great moment captured with a bonus memorable photo included. :D

Thank you. I took over 3,000 photos on my trip and this is the first one I've posted anywhere.

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

bugadrienne
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Dec 2013
South Florida, USA
Jan 07, 2014 11:14 |  #15

IslandCrow wrote in post #16579795external link
No post processing is a term that always requires more explanation, since all digital images must be processed. . .same goes for film. Otherwise, it's called a negative. So, here's a specific question. If I have a Lightroom preset that's applied on import, is that considered "post processed" by your definition? It's going to do things like adjust contrast and sharpness, apply sharpening and noise reduction. . .you know, things the camera does when it applies a picture style to create that "unprocessed" jpeg. With memory card sizes and speeds these days, it is extremely rare that I shoot in anything other than raw.

That is fine as I tried to communicate in post #7. If it came up on the screen like that, even if something is preset, you get what you get and you don't/didn't throw a fit. :lol:

I like shooting in RAW and only have the DPP for processing at the moment. It doesn't show my images exactly RAW, but whatever was set on the camera. That didn't work to my advantage last week when I forgot to change my white balance setting from tungsten and took a load of daylight photos. All the outdoor daylight photos were so blue! :mad: All of the ones worth looking at had to have WB adjustments. :rolleyes:

sponsored links

15,195 views & 35 likes for this thread
NO POST PROCESSING ALLOWED!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.