Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of January 2014 (Fri)   #16
neilgcart

Default Re: Ball Head - suggestions

I have the same tripod and use a Markins Q10 on it. It works perfectly on that tripod and the Markins has given me many years of trouble free service on many tripods.

Neil
neilgcart is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of January 2014 (Fri)   #17
afoton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I cant say I understand the really high end setups, especially since this $80 setup gets me really stable shots. Has fine tuning like advance heads as well.
There is more than stability in a good ball head. I have tried several cheap ball heads from Manfrotto, Benro, Gitzo, Sirui and others, and no one of them can beat my Markins and RRS in overall performance, but many of them are just as stable when locked down. There is also difference in how my Markins and my RRS head is working. They are good in their own way

They can have an unsmooth movement, so it can be a pain to get the right framing. My Markins is very smooth, but not in the cold. They can have som movement when locking the ball, this can also be a pain when trying to get the right framing. There is big difference how easy it is to lock and unlock the ball. I have to use force for locking the ball on the Sirui ball head i have, the same with an old Manfrotto ball head I have.

But of course, if you have a ball head that is working well for you, keep on using it.
afoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of January 2014 (Fri)   #18
peter_n
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoton View Post
But my Q3T is not working at all in the cold, colder than about -5C.
I've had three Q3T ballheads and they don't work in severe cold. They have other little quirks too. Finally I ran out of patience last January and got an Acratech.

Yesterday it was 1F (-17C) here in Boston, not Q3T weather. However my Acratech worked just fine but the RRS clamp was frozen. You just can't win!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1874PP_POTN.jpg (138.4 KB, 464 views)
Old 3rd of January 2014 (Fri)   #19
afoton

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
Yesterday it was 1F (-17C) here in Boston, not Q3T weather. However my Acratech worked just fine but the RRS clamp was frozen. You just can't win!
How was the clamp frozen? Was the lever frozen, or the clamp itself?
Old 3rd of January 2014 (Fri)   #20
peter_n
Goldmember

The lever was free, it was the clamp that was frozen. I'd brought the tripod outside and it stayed there for an hour or two while I cleared my driveway. The ballhead and clamp were at room temperature and the falling snow probably turned to water, dripped down the space where the back jaw is and froze underneath. The clamp quickly got cold as you can see from the ice droplets on the top of the jaws in the pic below. Long story short I brushed the snow off the clamp and took the tripod back inside and a few minutes later the clamp loosened and was fine outside after that.

To be honest, this probably could have happened with any clamp, I was just mindless bringing it out and leaving it there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1868PP_POTN.jpg (134.1 KB, 126 views)
Old 3rd of January 2014 (Fri)   #21
afoton

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
Long story short I brushed the snow off the clamp and took the tripod back inside and a few minutes later the clamp loosened and was fine outside after that.

To be honest, this probably could have happened with any clamp, I was just mindless bringing it out and leaving it there.
Thank. I was asking because I was curious. I have never had such problems myself. But it can allways be useful to know about possible problems, thinking of how to avoid it, and how to solve it.

My own BH-40 has allways worked without any issue in the cold. But it has been challenged
Old 3rd of January 2014 (Fri)   #22
Dennisaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalermini View Post
No, they also have universal plates. I have one like THIS. But they have MANY to choose from.
Thank you for this - decisions, decisons...

50d w/ BG-E2N grip, 580exii, 28-135 f3.5, 24-70 f2.8L
Dennisaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of January 2014 (Fri)   #23
Colorblinded
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoton View Post
I have both a RRS BH-40 and a Markins Q3T. As long as the Q3T is working, I prefer that one. But my Q3T is not working at all in the cold, colder than about -5C. I have used my BH-40 down to about -37C without any issue. So in the winter, I only use the BH-40.

When it comes to the clamp, I prefer the Markins screw clamp over the all the RRS clamps, so i will never replace the clamp on my Q3T But this is just about personal preferences. I have both a lever release clamp on the BH-40, but I don't like that one.
I've not tried the Q3T but my M10 has never given me trouble in temperatures well below the -5C you mention.
Colorblinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of January 2014 (Sat)   #24
HuskyKMA
"Now what?"

Love my RRS ballhead, highly recommend them!
HuskyKMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2014 (Sun)   #25
jlt23

I have two RRS ball heads and one Markins. I like both of them.
jlt23 is offline   Reply With Quote