FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 01 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 21:29   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

neilgcart
Joined Sep 2010
139 posts
Ellesmere Port UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the same tripod and use a Markins Q10 on it. It works perfectly on that tripod and the Markins has given me many years of trouble free service on many tripods.

Neil

Post #16, Jan 03, 2014 03:38:06 as a reply to post 16573720

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
afoton
Joined Apr 2012
348 posts
Norway
[MORE/SHARE]

Charlie wrote in post #16573703external link
I cant say I understand the really high end setups, especially since this $80 setup gets me really stable shots. Has fine tuning like advance heads as well.

There is more than stability in a good ball head. I have tried several cheap ball heads from Manfrotto, Benro, Gitzo, Sirui and others, and no one of them can beat my Markins and RRS in overall performance, but many of them are just as stable when locked down. There is also difference in how my Markins and my RRS head is working. They are good in their own way

They can have an unsmooth movement, so it can be a pain to get the right framing. My Markins is very smooth, but not in the cold. They can have som movement when locking the ball, this can also be a pain when trying to get the right framing. There is big difference how easy it is to lock and unlock the ball. I have to use force for locking the ball on the Sirui ball head i have, the same with an old Manfrotto ball head I have.

But of course, if you have a ball head that is working well for you, keep on using it.

Post #17, Jan 03, 2014 03:55:23

peter_n
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
2,176 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

afoton wrote in post #16573695external link
But my Q3T is not working at all in the cold, colder than about -5°C.

I've had three Q3T ballheads and they don't work in severe cold. They have other little quirks too. Finally I ran out of patience last January and got an Acratech.

Yesterday it was 1ºF (-17ºC) here in Boston, not Q3T weather. However my Acratech worked just fine but the RRS clamp was frozen. You just can't win! ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #18, Jan 03, 2014 07:46:24

~Peter

afoton
Joined Apr 2012
348 posts
Norway
[MORE/SHARE]

peter_n wrote in post #16573988external link
Yesterday it was 1ºF (-17ºC) here in Boston, not Q3T weather. However my Acratech worked just fine but the RRS clamp was frozen. You just can't win! ;)

How was the clamp frozen? Was the lever frozen, or the clamp itself?

Post #19, Jan 03, 2014 10:07:33

peter_n
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
2,176 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

The lever was free, it was the clamp that was frozen. I'd brought the tripod outside and it stayed there for an hour or two while I cleared my driveway. The ballhead and clamp were at room temperature and the falling snow probably turned to water, dripped down the space where the back jaw is and froze underneath. The clamp quickly got cold as you can see from the ice droplets on the top of the jaws in the pic below. Long story short I brushed the snow off the clamp and took the tripod back inside and a few minutes later the clamp loosened and was fine outside after that.

To be honest, this probably could have happened with any clamp, I was just mindless bringing it out and leaving it there.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #20, Jan 03, 2014 13:41:31

~Peter

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
afoton
Joined Apr 2012
348 posts
Norway
[MORE/SHARE]

peter_n wrote in post #16574814external link
Long story short I brushed the snow off the clamp and took the tripod back inside and a few minutes later the clamp loosened and was fine outside after that.

To be honest, this probably could have happened with any clamp, I was just mindless bringing it out and leaving it there.

Thank. I was asking because I was curious. I have never had such problems myself. But it can allways be useful to know about possible problems, thinking of how to avoid it, and how to solve it.

My own BH-40 has allways worked without any issue in the cold. But it has been challenged ;)

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Post #21, Jan 03, 2014 14:36:36

Dennisaurous
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
70 posts
Museum of Natural History - NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

bpalermini wrote in post #16573342external link
No, they also have universal plates. I have one like THISexternal link. But they have MANYexternal link to choose from.

Thank you for this - decisions, decisons...

Post #22, Jan 03, 2014 18:47:40

--RaWr!
50d w/ BG-E2N grip, 580exii, 28-135 f3.5, 24-70 f2.8L

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,325 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

afoton wrote in post #16573695external link
I have both a RRS BH-40 and a Markins Q3T. As long as the Q3T is working, I prefer that one. But my Q3T is not working at all in the cold, colder than about -5°C. I have used my BH-40 down to about -37°C without any issue. So in the winter, I only use the BH-40.

When it comes to the clamp, I prefer the Markins screw clamp over the all the RRS clamps, so i will never replace the clamp on my Q3T ;) But this is just about personal preferences. I have both a lever release clamp on the BH-40, but I don't like that one.

I've not tried the Q3T but my M10 has never given me trouble in temperatures well below the -5C you mention.

Post #23, Jan 03, 2014 19:12:02

http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal linkhttp://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com ...ter-of-performance-specs/external link

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
Joined Feb 2008
1,741 posts
Camas, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

Love my RRS ballhead, highly recommend them!

Post #24, Jan 04, 2014 19:33:28

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

jlt23
Joined May 2010
223 posts
Tustin, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have two RRS ball heads and one Markins. I like both of them.

Post #25, Jan 05, 2014 01:17:08

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,341 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ball Head - suggestions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES