Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 19:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tree Service

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,235 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Mar 19, 2014 19:37 |  #1

I had a sick tree taken down from my property and used the efforts of the tree service guys as a photo op. Now, I'm always the guy telling people to get in close on the subject. Perhaps this is an example of knowing the rules so that you know when to break them. I wanted to give a sense of the context. What do you think?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links
hiketheplanet
648 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Mar 19, 2014 20:12 |  #2

sorry, not working for me. just looks like a snapshot of a guy doing some tree service. The healthy tree on the left might've been better for your context if there was more of it in the frame. As is, it just looks like something that needs to get cropped out. Way too much negative space on both sides of a tiny subject in the smack dab middle of the frame. Also, doesn't seem exposed particularly well and is out of focus.

hiketheplanet
648 posts
Joined May 2013

Mar 19, 2014 20:15 as a reply to  @ hiketheplanet's post |  #3

Sorry if that was way harsh, just saying what comes to mind for a critique here. As a suggestion, I would've got right up under him and shot upwards. Whats the worst that could happen? He might think you're strange, but you would've had a better perspective

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 20, 2014 05:53 |  #4

hiketheplanet wrote in post #16771455 (external link)
Sorry if that was way harsh, just saying what comes to mind for a critique here. As a suggestion, I would've got right up under him and shot upwards. Whats the worst that could happen? He might think you're strange, but you would've had a better perspective

I don't think you`'ve any need to apologise, as I agree with the points you've made.

To me, it looks like a not particularly good snapshot.

David

Acetoolguy
386 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 20, 2014 17:06 |  #5

Maybe if the tree on the left was gone......making it a more solitary shot?

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 20, 2014 17:29 |  #6

I feel like this would be a hard area to get a good shot. You almost would have to know what shot you wanted and produce that with a model on your own time. In my experience, anyone at their job (apart from models of course) is not going to help you get the shot they want, because time is money. I agree with the post above. This simply looks like snapshot that could've been achieved on a phone or other simple P&S. Also, were you shooting at a low shutter speed? The worker doesn't appear particularly sharp. IMO, you should've zoomed in close on the worker and shot at a high shutter speed to freeze the woodchips from the chainsaw as he cut. But thats simply my opinion.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Hillbille
525 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 21, 2014 16:16 |  #7

joedlh wrote in post #16774784 (external link)
Not slow shutter speed. It no doubt looks like a phone photo because I had to increase the compression to get the shot below 150k. The shot's not on the net anywhere. So I couldn't link to it.

The shot was one of a set of 10, documenting the felling of a tree. It was a doc shot, not meant to be fine art. I thought about cropping out the tree on the left, but it was 50/50 in my view, for a doc shot. Regarding zooming in and getting the chips, do you mean like this? The problem with chips is that it's a challenge not to have them obscure the face at this angle. Sorry, didn't have a helicopter handy.

I suspect, although you have not said so, that the worker(s) asked you to stay clear of his/their workspace too as it is quite dangerous. The first shot for instance - you would not find me any closer than you were due to the danger of falling debris, least of which might be the tree top or a piece of it snapping and falling on you. Of course there's a lot of other things that might also fall, like a snapped off tooth from the chain saw - sharp and possibly very harmful to both you and your equipment. For this reason alone I think the shot is very good, especially as a beginning to a short series depicting the felling of the tree.

I would like to see the entire set of photos. Do you have a link for them? I also understand the limitations of this website - 1024 and 150k are MOST times very difficult to achieve without some serious software - simple for those that have it and a lot more difficult for those that don't.

Just looking at the shots from an impromptu opportunity, I think they are great! I would guess that none of your shots were pre posed for getting the shots framed, lighting set and focused correctly - and of course - they are ONE OFF, meaning once the top of the tree was cut and fell away, THAT shot could not be re-done and the same applied for all the others as well.

As I said I think they are fine and I would like to see the complete series.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

hiketheplanet
648 posts
Joined May 2013

Mar 22, 2014 00:50 |  #8

If "documentary" is what you're going for, then sure, they're fine pics I suppose. But as photographs with any artistic merit, they simply don't have any. "Guy felling tree" is just not very interesting, and from a composition and technical aspect there isn't much to go on here. Photography is something different than snapshots, and to post what amounts to snapshots of your run of the mill tree trimming job and post them on a photography site and critique board isn't going to elicit high praises from anyone. I could take several documentary shots of my small electronics for insurance purposes, but I very highly doubt anyone here would find them terribly interesting, to the same degree that I wouldn't consider them to have any photographic merit to begin with.

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,374 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 22, 2014 05:27 |  #9

I would love to see a good shot from up above the guy cutting the tree looing down. That would give context and something interesting to look at.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 22, 2014 05:55 |  #10

JasonMK wrote in post #16776934 (external link)
I would love to see a good shot from up above the guy cutting the tree looing down. That would give context and something interesting to look at.

Haha! Maybe the OP should acquire a helicopter :)

David

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 22, 2014 18:27 |  #11

I would have extended the 'context' of the first shot to the ground level showing the whole tree, how high he really is. But as documentary shots they work.

I do like the second better from a photography point.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

joedlh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,235 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Mar 23, 2014 14:56 |  #12

Titus213 wrote in post #16778105 (external link)
I would have extended the 'context' of the first shot to the ground level showing the whole tree, how high he really is.

There was too much clutter near the ground. I composed it with another house and a fence just below the edge. This way, it lets the user's imagination interpret how high he is.

Joe
Editing ok

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 24, 2014 00:25 |  #13

joedlh wrote in post #16780166 (external link)
There was too much clutter near the ground. I composed it with another house and a fence just below the edge. This way, it lets the user's imagination interpret how high he is.

You said, it's for documentary and you let the "user"'s imagination ... non sens for me !
As documentary pictures you should show all the dab thing, and not compose to let the user interpret on his own way !

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 27, 2014 17:40 |  #14

Lol, he calls that a tree?

IMAGE: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/562x844q90/268/fqch.jpg

IMAGE: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/472x709q90/89/wwu5.jpg

Now, THOSE are trees. :D

joedlh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,235 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 28, 2014 07:49 as a reply to  @ Kanye's post |  #15

Funny. I have some shots just like that. :)

Joe
Editing ok

sponsored links

2,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tree Service
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.