Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 29 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 16:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Spyder4Pro Calibration Issues

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Mar 29, 2014 16:47 |  #1

Hey all, I don't usually post help threads (been a while since I have :p) But I recently bought the brand new Dell 28" 4K monitor, and am completely blown away. Yes there are some limitations that come with entry level technology, especially with 4K just coming (slowly) into the mainstream. I went out and bought a Spyder4Pro to calibrate it, and I just can't seem to get it right. After trying various settings, I am using a profile from my older 20.5" Dell and it looks spot on. Being a new monitor I am very slow to trust the output, and constant look at my images on other screens to be sure, so far so good. Now I don't want to have wasted $150 on this thing, anything that I am doing wrong or what can I do to get better results? I have played around with output settings, Kelvin temperatures, and always seem to get a magenta/brownish cast on the screen, and as such WB is way off and B&W images are not even close to B&W. Any tips?

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Mar 29, 2014 23:28 |  #2

UPDATE: Well, I kept on pushing, trying to get it right, switched between many profiles, used another monitor, and did a ton of reading up on calibration. Part of the issue is trusting that what you see on the screen is true. Datacolor does not make it simple to setup the calibration, and any wrong input can dramatically affect the output. I played around with the settings, and have reached a new profile that I am very happy with. Its one thing to know how your photos look, but another to know if they are correct. I am calibrating my laptop screen as well and will hopefully get some consistent results.

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

patrick023
521 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Lawrence, KS
Mar 30, 2014 19:08 |  #3

I had that problem with my 24" Ultrasharp once after doing my once a month or 2 calibration. I noticed in the Spyder menus there's an option to do a full calibration and that seemed to get rid of the magenta cast.

How are you liking the 28" 4k monitor? I was really interested in it until I saw it was a TN panel.

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Mar 30, 2014 19:41 |  #4

patrick023 wrote in post #16797793external link
I had that problem with my 24" Ultrasharp once after doing my once a month or 2 calibration. I noticed in the Spyder menus there's an option to do a full calibration and that seemed to get rid of the magenta cast.

How are you liking the 28" 4k monitor? I was really interested in it until I saw it was a TN panel.

There are certainly drawbacks to the TN panel, but really nothing I couldn't live with. Having the sheer pixel count is so useful, I don't need to zoom in to 100% to check sharpness :lol:

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Sep 2007
london UK
Apr 27, 2014 05:50 |  #5

I just got a 27" 1440 screen and having the same issue with the spyder 4 ...

just not

a) sure the colours are correct

b) liking what i see when i look at the screen

any advice on how you got it right greatly appreciated.

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Southern California
Apr 28, 2014 19:25 |  #6

What did you change in the settings to make it right? Could be helpful to some if they are having the same issue later...

sponsored links

1,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
Spyder4Pro Calibration Issues
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.