Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #1
kmcl3667

Default blood red moon on the 15th

Hi all! my name is Kevin and very much looking forward to interacting with you all. i do have a question and would like some advise on how i should go about getting the best possible shots of the eclipse on the 15th. i have a EOS Rebel t2i with a canon 18 to 135 lens. ive already did a little home work and everywhere i look they are saying i should have at least a 500 mm. if i had the money i would lol but seeing i don't i cant. first question is there anyway or anything i can buy simi cheap that i can ad as an adapter that would help me out. i looked in at renting a 500 but 350 dollars for 3 days it was just to much seeing it could be cloudy here in boston and it would be a waste. so are there any adapters or whatever that would help me out? and on to the next question. seeing what i have and i am just getting the basic setting figured out or at least know how to change them now. i want to go deeper than just the point and shoot in auto mode. can i get some advice seeing what i have to work with the settings i should put the camera on and what mode and so on. im a newbie to this but im really wanting to get up on that hill and set up my tripod at 1am and shoot away and hopefully get something i can come home and be proud of when i get home at 4 am lol. so thank you ladies and gents for any advice you can give me. im a newbie really wanting to take the next step and im excited about the chance of taking these moon shoots even if my lens isnt ideal, but if i can get something i could put on an 8 by 11 that someone will say wow nice shoot kev. it would put a big smile on my face. so thank you all ahead of time for you help and advise to get me pointed in the right direction. all i know is my wife isn't going to be happy when i tell her some lens i need for my new hobby will be 1000 plus. i don't think ill bring that up for awhile though. i like sleeping in my own bed!! lol )
kmcl3667 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #2
Virto

Default Re: blood red moon on the 15th

I'd have to say look into one of the Rokinon or clone mirror lenses. They're manual focus, F8 lenses that produce very distracting bokeh, but for a moon shot, it would be ideal - and they're the bare-bones cheapest way to get the reach you're looking for. Check eBay. Another option are the super-generic preset telescope 700mm lenses with included teleconverters that are common on eBay, but they are literally dog butt quality.

If you're cool with spending that 1000-ish area, the Tamron 150-600 is good value, but they're currently limited availability.
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #3
teekay

I suggest you post your question in the Astronomy forum where I'm sure you'd get lots of good help.
teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #4
Lbsimon

You would probably get more help if you help us read your posting by using the capitals and paragraphs. Regretfully, I stopped reading half the way.
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #5
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcl3667 View Post
Hi all! my name is Kevin and very much looking forward to interacting with you all. i do have a question and would like some advise on how i should go about getting the best possible shots of the eclipse on the 15th. i have a EOS Rebel t2i with a canon 18 to 135 lens. ive already did a little home work and everywhere i look they are saying i should have at least a 500 mm. if i had the money i would lol but seeing i don't i cant. first question is there anyway or anything i can buy simi cheap that i can ad as an adapter that would help me out. i looked in at renting a 500 but 350 dollars for 3 days it was just to much seeing it could be cloudy here in boston and it would be a waste. so are there any adapters or whatever that would help me out? and on to the next question. seeing what i have and i am just getting the basic setting figured out or at least know how to change them now. i want to go deeper than just the point and shoot in auto mode. can i get some advice seeing what i have to work with the settings i should put the camera on and what mode and so on. im a newbie to this but im really wanting to get up on that hill and set up my tripod at 1am and shoot away and hopefully get something i can come home and be proud of when i get home at 4 am lol. so thank you ladies and gents for any advice you can give me. im a newbie really wanting to take the next step and im excited about the chance of taking these moon shoots even if my lens isnt ideal, but if i can get something i could put on an 8 by 11 that someone will say wow nice shoot kev. it would put a big smile on my face. so thank you all ahead of time for you help and advise to get me pointed in the right direction. all i know is my wife isn't going to be happy when i tell her some lens i need for my new hobby will be 1000 plus. i don't think ill bring that up for awhile though. i like sleeping in my own bed!! lol )
Heya,

I shoot the moon at 600mm on a crop. And it's still not enough reach, frankly. So learn that lesson now. You will never have enough reach. It takes closer to 2000mm before you truly get close to filling the frame.

That said, I get good detail at 600mm, enough for print size. So it's good enough for me for now.

You can get a cheap mirror lens. It's basically a telescope lens with an adapter. Includes a doubler.

If you wanted to buy something to attempt it, that's the cheapest way to get that much reach early on. Manually focus it. It's surprisingly good. There's plenty of examples in the Astronomy forum of people doing it with this kind of lens and it's decent.

Very best,
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #6
Jim_T
Goldmember

I have a 7D and my maximum focal length is 400mm. I get full moon images that are about 860x860 pixels. Best bet for frame filling images is to get a telescope with a camera mount.

As teekay points out, there is a forum dedicated to astronomy. Here's a large thread dedicated to shooting the moon. --> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=803791
Jim_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #7
kmcl3667

Thank you all for your help. ill look into it and thanks for pointing me to the right forum. and my fellow friend that lives in boston. im so sorry if my english isn't as good as yours and you had such a hard time figuring it out. I keep forgetting there are people that think they are so much "Better Than" everyone else in the world. Ill say a prayer that your life gets better and you don't take it out on a guy that just asked a simple question. There was no need for that! I Really Hope You Feel Better About Yourself now!! But to the rest of you thank you very much!!
Kev
kmcl3667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #8
alliben

At Lensrentals you can get the Sigma 300 f/2.8 and teleconverter for less than $200 for 4 days..
alliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #9
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Thank you all for your help. ill look into it and thanks for pointing me to the right forum. and my fellow friend that lives in boston. im so sorry if my english isn't as good as yours and you had such a hard time figuring it out. I keep forgetting there are people that think they are so much "Better Than" everyone else in the world. Ill say a prayer that your life gets better and you don't take it out on a guy that just asked a simple question. There was no need for that! I Really Hope You Feel Better About Yourself now!! But to the rest of you thank you very much!!
Kev
Well, some things to consider:

1) We have a whole lot of people here in POTN for whom English is not their "first" language. So, they have often been schooled in English, or self-taught. The thing is, they have learned "English", including proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, all that stuff. They have not been "schooled" in the garbled mis-use of the language, and as such it can be pretty confusing to read non-proper so-called English!

2) And then, those of us who do have at least a working grasp of the language can still find difficulty reading things like posts here on the Web by people who ignore the good use of the language. In fact, if I picked up a book or an article that showed the kind of misuse that we see here on the Web, I'd put it down after a first glance!

3) But still, we have people posting garbled "English", not just those for whom English is not there first language, but particularly distressing are those for whom English is their first/native language...too many people who are either willing to ignore good communication skills or who are just too lazy, who maybe have spent too much time texting or "rapping" or whatever and not enough time bothering to effectively communicate!

And so...here in a place where good communication can be quite important, since it/POTN is a forum designed to communicate in a way that gets across our thinking clearly so that people can be helped, educated, encouraged, no matter what their native language but doing it in English since that is the "accepted" language here!

And, occasionally, one of us who look to POTN for those qualities on a regular basis will point out a "troubled" post, although we will try to do it patiently, although, believe me some will give up on a long garbled post, and if the poster can't accept the request to speak "plain English", well, that's a good way of having your posts ignored by someone who otherwise could be of help to you!

One last thought:

Imagine you are setting down with a person and seeking to have a "serious" conversation with them (not drunk or stoned or just goofing around). How do you communicate in that type of scenario? Do you speak in full sentences and in a way that will effectively express your "thoughts"? Or do you do the verbal equivalent of "texting" to them? I ask, because, well, I don't have "serious" conversations with people who are incapable of communicating clearly, and second, please try to look at a forum such as this as a scenario that will benefit from typing and communicating at least as clearly as you would verbally in a serious conversation!

Oh, and I've seen a lot of spelling errors slip by. Both here and in FaceBook my browsers support Spell Checkers (putting a red line under words that may be mis-spelled) and I for one appreciate that. If I don't catch typos and mis-spelled words spewing off my keyboard it tends to drive me nuts. Sad to say, sometimes I don't catch those things, not paying proper attention, whatever. Sometimes a lot of time can pass and then I see something that I've posted that has such errors...Dang!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #10
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

FYI, I didn't "proof read" that long-winded post so I'll be interested to see if anyone "catches" something!!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #11
MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliben View Post
At Lensrentals you can get the Sigma 300 f/2.8 and teleconverter for less than $200 for 4 days..
600 F4L for $264 for 4 days.

With room for a 2x.

... On a more serious matter, it's pointless, this guy is new to this, and weather might foil it regardless. Why suggest spending more than he even budgeted likely, to rent some super glass, for a moon shot that you're better off with a telescope anyway with?

For these costs, he could get a cheap telezoom (55-250) and just practice shooting the moon, all day, every day, all year, until he figures things out and then goes and gets a telescope with T adapter.

Very best,
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #12
garys1

600 should be enough here is uncropped taken in Dec 2011 with 1DIV 300+2xTC

garys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #13
MalVeauX

600mm, yesterday night. You'll still want more. MORE.

Very best,
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #14
Lbsimon

Quote:
Kev
English is my second language, I learned it after immigrating to the US. It is also the second language for many people on POTN. I would have really liked to help, but it is hard for me to read your postings. Please have some respect to those who are willing to help.
Old 7th of April 2014 (Mon)   #15
Sin City Stan

Don't forget the red planet will be in close proximity to the moon that night. Two red disks to capture.
http://creationsbysincitystan.smugmug.com/https://www.facebook.com/SinCityStan
Sin City Stan is offline   Reply With Quote