Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 19 May 2014 (Monday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Having a problem posting sharp flickr images

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
May 19, 2014 22:46 |  #1

Here's some thing I just noticed, perhaps because of flickr's site changes.

When I view my photos in my flickr photostream, I'm very satisfied with the sharpness displayed. But when I post a photo from flickr, there seems to be a reduction of image sharpness. Here's an example...

This is from my photostream and has good image sharpness. You'll have to click on the link...

https://www.flickr.com ...142075074/in/photos​tream/ (external link)

Now I'll post the same image by selecting the Share this photo option, then getting the BBCode...

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5113/14142075074_21e8a63bea_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nxFQ​dA] (external link)B-25 Bomber (external link) by bigbend700 (external link), on Flickr

The second image looks less sharp and less detailed. I know it's slightly larger, but I believe there is some thing else going on to reduce the IQ.

Does anyone else see this as a problem, or am I being too picky?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
May 20, 2014 09:15 |  #2

I would have to pull screen caps of both of them into some data comparison software to be sure, but I think a big part of the effect may be an optical illusion from the difference in contract of the background.

Maybe try posting the same thing somewhere with a dark background to see if you feel there is any difference?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
May 20, 2014 23:01 as a reply to Luckless's post |  #3

I don't think it's a contrast issue, as all my photos are this way. Here's one with a dark background...

https://www.flickr.com .../in/set-72157639783136484 (external link)

Now the same using the BBCode...

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3747/11201749256_001fc2e90f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/i4RT​MS] (external link)Galpin Ford GTR1 (external link) by bigbend700 (external link), on Flickr

The first - click on the link - has better IQ than the second. Not a huge difference, but enough to be noticeable (well, at least to me).

What I don't understand is that no one else complains about this IQ reduction. Perhaps it's an issue with my browser?

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
May 21, 2014 08:19 |  #4

I meant the contrast between the black website background in Flickr and the light background here of the forum, rather than the background of the image. But I find it hard to see any real difference on my macbook's screen.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
May 21, 2014 18:23 as a reply to Luckless's post |  #5

Ok, it must be something on my end. I have not seen anyone else complain about it.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
May 25, 2014 16:26 |  #6

Your issue may be that you are not using the original size image that you uploaded. Flickr resizes your images to many different sizes. This resizing is not always optimal though. I normally post images at 1024 px on the long edge. I think that it is a reasonable comprimise for web posting. It also means that I can link to POTN within the (old) posting guidlines using the original size. Be aware that it seems that Flickr will reprocess the image even if it is the same size, so there may even be a difference between choosing a Flickr size and Original size.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
May 25, 2014 22:25 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #7

^^Thanks for the info.

sponsored links

886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Having a problem posting sharp flickr images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.