Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 26 May 2014 (Monday) 17:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Trouble focusing T2i through bee veil in bright sun...

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
May 26, 2014 17:21 |  #1

I missed getting a video of one of my honey bee colonies doing what we can "washboarding" on the front of the hive this afternoon. The problem is that the image was out of focus while it recorded. :(

The porch of the hive is only about a foot above ground so the camera is positioned low which makes looking into the lcd screen a bit of a challenge to start with. Add to this that I'm looking through a bee veil in bright sun, and well, the image on the screen almost disappears. Not to metion that the models that I'm videoing aren't exactly giant in size. ;)

There's probably something very simple to handle this problem but right now I'm just cooling off from the heat of the beeyard and thought this time to inquire. I'd appreciate any input on this you might have!!!

Thanks!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

kuvhmoob
286 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Southeastern, WI
May 26, 2014 18:15 |  #2

Get a 7" field monitor...?

5D + Tamron 28-75, T2i + Tamron 17-50 non-VC, Panasonic Lumix LX7

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
May 26, 2014 23:42 |  #3

kuvhmoob wrote in post #16932042external link
Get a 7" field monitor...?

That's an option, but to save money I could tether it to one of the laptops. I was hoping for something simple and inexpensive to keep the size of the camera down and the complexity at a minimum. I may end up going for one of the viewfinder covers: http://www.amazon.com .../ref=cm_cr_pr_produ​ct_topexternal link

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

J_O_S_H_U_A
256 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Baltimore, MD
May 29, 2014 08:56 |  #4

One option, and I know this may sound oldschool, but get out a tape measure and adjust your focal settings appropriately. Thats what those distance marking numbers on the lens are for!

Another option is to just use an autofocus lens, set focus, then switch back to manual. At that point you can always just annotate the position of your focus ring as well.

@J_O_S_H_U_A
my work: joshuaorozco.com (external link)
my studio: atomiccanary.com (external link)

650 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trouble focusing T2i through bee veil in bright sun...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.