Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 25 Jul 2014 (Friday) 20:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Interesting article for the "We Will Give You Credit" crowd

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Jul 25, 2014 20:04 |  #1

http://petapixel.com ...probably-shouldnt-posted/external link

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

ryanshoots
343 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Jul 25, 2014 22:58 |  #2

I'm not surprised. The vast majority of social media users think that if something is on the internet it's free. Most of the owners/builders/founde​rs of social media sites feel the same way with one exception, their own content and IP.

strobe ­ monkey
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Arizona
Jul 27, 2014 23:34 |  #3

This happens all the time. I remember there was a member here (or maybe another photography site) that his image was used by GAP on their T-shirts without even being notified.

Only solution is a thick watermark, and uploading only low resolution images.

6D, 7D, EF35 f2, EF50 f1.4, EF50 f1.8
Sold:
EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20

RWJP
120 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Dorset, UK
Jul 28, 2014 02:37 |  #4

This is exactly why I have avoided posting any of my photos to sites like Reddit, or the gallery section of Imgur. While the initial exposure is great, I don't want to lose control of my photos, nor do I want to deal with the stress of getting them taken down/credited/being accused of stealing etc etc.

Gear:
EOS 600D w/ BG-E8| EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Speedlite 430EX II
Visit my Flickrexternal link

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Jul 28, 2014 09:01 |  #5

Why would anyone lose sleep of something like what someone commented. I would have replied with a simple (something saved in word, so I could copy and paste) that basically said that the photo was taken in xx year, is my copyright, and that people using the image were subject to the US copyright laws and it's penalties.

There is a person on this site who makes a great deal each year from people stealing his work, and it has become part of his business model. If people are going to ignore laws then why not use the law to your advantage?

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

976 views & 0 likes for this thread
Interesting article for the "We Will Give You Credit" crowd
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.