Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of February 2006 (Sat)   #1
sito

Default Laminated pictures?

I have been asked to do a wedding and am wondering where I can send the pictures to be printed. I want 10x10 and since I am making a self-mount album, I want the prints to be laminated, so that when closing the album, the facing pictures don't get sticked. Where can I send them? What do you recommend?
Old 19th of February 2006 (Sun)   #2
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Default Re: Laminated pictures?

Will this be a "flush mount" album, or will there be an adhesive matte placed over the edges of the photos? For the latter, this would insert a thickness between the actual photos so they would not touch. You would have a small, but actual air space between the immulsions.

If the print had any sort of texture to it, lamination could result in imperfect "sealing" of the surface. Not only that but the appearance of the photo would be degraded.

Have you considered having the photos sprayed prior to being mounte in the album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito
I have been asked to do a wedding and am wondering where I can send the pictures to be printed. I want 10x10 and since I am making a self-mount album, I want the prints to be laminated, so that when closing the album, the facing pictures don't get sticked. Where can I send them? What do you recommend?
sapearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2006 (Sun)   #3
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

I just checked my commercial lab www.buckeyecolor.com and I don't see any lamination services offered. They will do lustre coating, matte spray, semi matte spray and clear spray. I usually have them lustre spray my prints prior to sending them to Zookbinders.

Perhaps a framing shop or specialized graphics and art supply store offers the services you need. I know you can buy self-adhesive clear laminate at art stores, but mating the laminate evenly to the surface of the photo, without bubbles, dust and wrinkles can be really tricky.

Stu Pearl
Cleveland, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito
I want the prints to be laminated, so that when closing the album, the facing pictures don't get sticked. Where can I send them? What do you recommend?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2006 (Mon)   #4
BLINN

Custom colour imaging does this service. And the prices are right as well.
http://mbclphotography.com
BLINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2006 (Mon)   #5
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

I just stopped at Staples this morning - they have mounting and lamination services. Cost to laminate a 16x20 was only $2.00 - quality looked decent.

My only thoughts though - to me lamination gives the photo a sort of unnatural look unless this album will be some sort of "high use" display or product book. The lamination also picks up fine scratches. I still prefer the sprayed surface with matted frames that add a protective air gap. My .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINN
Custom colour imaging does this service. And the prices are right as well.
Old 21st of February 2006 (Tue)   #6
BLINN

The lamination at CCimaging is not like the lamination at Staples. It is a protective flim that is bonded to the photo. All my large prints are mounted on masonite and laminated. The laminate also comes on 4 different finish type from matt to high gloss. You don't need glass to cover it and you can use a damp rag to wipe dust off. I recommend that you do use glass and do not wipe with a damp rag, But it can be done.
Old 21st of February 2006 (Tue)   #7
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

That sounds like a pretty slick service they offer - superior to that found at Staples. I would imagine it's probably trade show quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINN
The lamination at CCimaging is not like the lamination at Staples. It is a protective flim that is bonded to the photo. All my large prints are mounted on masonite and laminated. The laminate also comes on 4 different finish type from matt to high gloss.
Old 22nd of February 2006 (Wed)   #8
kawter2
Goldmember

DO NOT LAMINATE YOUR PHOTOS!!!

that is why labs spray them.. the last thing you want to do is laminate a great print

Wedding Blog
Eric J. Weddings
kawter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of February 2006 (Wed)   #9
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Whenever I've laminated small display posters, binder covers or other graphic items the hardest part always seemed to be getting the laminate to lay down flat and evenly on the image. It's so easy for small wrinkles to creep in an totally ruin the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawter2
DO NOT LAMINATE YOUR PHOTOS!!!

that is why labs spray them.. the last thing you want to do is laminate a great print
Old 22nd of February 2006 (Wed)   #10
BLINN

The laminating that I get done is like a spray. It becomes show quality.
Old 1st of September 2007 (Sat)   #11
Xime

Hi, can you name me the sprays you use?

thanks in advance
Xime