Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
Thread started 25 Aug 2014 (Monday) 11:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Critique my Product & Furniture Photography

DJPhatman
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 11:23 |  #1

Hey Guys & Gals,
I've been shooting antique furniture and accessories for a large Antique Store (external link) for a few years now.

I'd love to hear some critiques & suggestions for improvement.

I'd really like to grow my skill set and and create some alternative styles for our product images.

I've attached a room vignette and a standard product shot. You can also check out the site linked above to see more images to judge.

Thanks to all!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

LTW - Product Photographer
Inessa Stewart's Antiques (external link)
Gear: Canon 5d mkii, Canon 24-105 L F/4,
3x Excalibur 1600C Strobes, 2x Impact VSD 300 Strobes

John37
609 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 25, 2014 11:31 |  #2

I think the product shot is confusing. I know what's there, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. There isn't anything that seems to be the focus of the shot. If it's showcasing variety, it works. The other seems fine in my eyes. Edit yep , 2nd one's fine. :)

"The most endangered species? The honest man!' ~ Neil Peart
5Dii, 5Dc, 135L, 70-200 f2.8, 24-105L, 17-40L, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 430exll, Yongnuo 560ll x 2, wife, 2 kids :cool:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dajaphotographs​/ (external link)

DJPhatman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 12:27 |  #3

Thanks John.

LTW - Product Photographer
Inessa Stewart's Antiques (external link)
Gear: Canon 5d mkii, Canon 24-105 L F/4,
3x Excalibur 1600C Strobes, 2x Impact VSD 300 Strobes

farmer1957
899 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 17, 2014 10:28 |  #4

DJPhatman wrote in post #17116752 (external link)
Thanks John.

Hi John
I photograph Custom made pool cues .
Reflection is the main issue, trying to get past the finish and see the wood grain is a challenge.
I use either a TSE 17mm or TSE 24mm lens, I assume you have a hard time getting all of the furniture in one frame and still be able to see the wood grain or figure
I would like to suggest reading a book called Light Science and Magic.
there is a section of this book that covers photographing furniture with a glossy finish.
I want you to key in on page 65 and up, it covers a technic called
( cross polarization ) which I think will help you improve your product photography.

Problem with Cross polarization is the size of your soft box, Linear polarized film is only 17 inches wide so either you tape the film together and stretch it over your larger soft boxes or you buy the narrow 10 x 36 in soft boxes.

You use the linear polarized film over the soft boxes and a CPL on your lens.
Please note if you try to defuse the light after it passes through the linear filter you once again create polarized reflection.
farmer

stashfotovideo
Hatchling
8 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2018

May 09, 2018 08:26 |  #5

Hello from Bogotá Colombia, I´d like to get some advices or links to learn about furniture and interior Photography(lighting), thanks in advance!
Sebastián

Product photography for:
http://marthanarvaez.c​om (external link) Interior Designer
Photos By: http://sebastianvargas​.co (external link)
https://stashfotovideo​.com (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,967 views & 0 likes for this thread
Critique my Product & Furniture Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.