Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 09:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D III Multi-Controller (joystick) Fell Off

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Sep 03, 2014 09:26 |  #1

Last weekend at a wedding I pulled my camera to my eye for a photo and found the multi-controller (joystick) was missing. I'm guessing it bumped my belt just right while hanging off my shoulder and popped off. I was outside and not able to find it so it's at Canon right now being repaired.

Anyone else have this happen? I don't think it's a common issue but I'm wondering just how often it does happen.

Thoughts?

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
kwando
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Aurora, Co
Sep 03, 2014 14:35 |  #2

I've heard about it falling off the battery grip but not the camera itself. Please update on what canon says and how much the repair is.

~Simon~
My Gear | My Feedback | Smugmugexternal link
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​213134

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Sep 03, 2014 14:38 |  #3

Just got the repair quote back from Canon:

Out of warranty standard labor charge: $219.00
Parts: $83.49

With the CPS Platinum membership (30% discount) it will cost me $215.99 total.

That pretty much sucks...

facebookexternal link

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,371 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 03, 2014 16:29 |  #4

How old is the camera? Many credit cards give an extra warranty period - did you pay with a CC? Might be worth checking on any extra coverage.

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,142 posts
Joined Jun 2005
san jose
Sep 03, 2014 16:54 |  #5

wow!
I haven't had it happened to me but a friend's 1DX had it happened twice and Canon fixed it for free both times.

Part: $83.49...why the hell does a little plastic knob costs so much?

Sonny
websiteexternal link|Gear List

FoxTrot
Joined Jul 2005
Tempe, AZ
Sep 03, 2014 17:57 |  #6

sonnyc wrote in post #17134032external link

That might include whatever it's attached to... but still...

6D and some gear
Flickr (external link)

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Sep 03, 2014 20:33 |  #7

sonnyc wrote in post #17134032external link
wow!
I haven't had it happened to me but a friend's 1DX had it happened twice and Canon fixed it for free both times.

No kidding. If I had known it cost that much, I would have spent more time looking for it. I guess if it ever happens again I might try to replace it myself.

facebookexternal link

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Sep 03, 2014 20:34 |  #8

FoxTrot wrote in post #17134129external link
That might include whatever it's attached to... but still...

Yeah, there's no itemization of parts so it might include the rubber gasket and who knows what... but that still seems a bit high.

facebookexternal link

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Sep 03, 2014 22:11 as a reply to scobols's post |  #9

Just happened to me. Except it was half hanging off by a part of the gasket which was partly ripped. I just went to use it and it was half out of place. I have no idea how it happened - never banged the camera or anything - just put it in my camera back and then pulled it out again.

'Only' charged me $104 I think, which was parts + tax + shipping. They let me off the labor. I bought the camera last November so it was in warranty - they called the labor charge 'In Warranty Standard Labor Charge'. I guess the fact the gasket was partly ripped indicated that it could have been misuse rather than a manufacturing defect so I was OK with the $100 charge.

They did also clean the viewfinder/mirror and sensor even though the form indicated that was an extra charge. And they did need cleaning, so that was nice.

Just looked at the receipt - said the 'unit requires a new back assy'. So I guess it is more than the toggle + gasket. Or the gasket is one piece over the back. The actual button seemed fine on mine and was still semi-attached.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Sep 04, 2014 01:15 |  #10

CY3-1653-000 is the Canon part number for the rear cover assembly - they don't list the controller joystick or dial as a separate part. Be interested to see what they actually charge to replace it...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

4,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D III Multi-Controller (joystick) Fell Off
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.