Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 09 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 07:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's your favourite 35mm Film stock?

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Sep 09, 2014 07:58 |  #1

I used to shoot with Kodak Gold & Ektar 100 a lot, yesterday I was rummaging through an old camera bag and found a unexposed role of Gold 100, guess it's been sitting in there for about 10 years. Naturally I popped it in a film camera and am shooting away (camera got a new battery too). Really loving it although I keep looking at the back of the camera after the shot. Ha!

Two questions:

1. Do you think the film will expose well?
2. What's your favourite 35mm Film stock?

Kim

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 09, 2014 08:49 |  #2

Ten years might be OK. It depends on how it was stored in the bag. The color changes magenta to green as it ages. (Or the other way around -can't remember).

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 09, 2014 09:03 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #3

1. I would expose it like ISO50.

2. None for favourite. Film is the sensor. Why limit yourself to the digital cameras concept where you have to deal with single sensor, where you could change the ISO, but can't change the "character".

Ko.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Calgary, AB
Sep 09, 2014 09:11 |  #4

how to rate depends on how it was stored and film speed.
if it's been sitting in a shelf I would over-expose it by 1 or 2 stops, no need to compensate as much if fridge/freezer stored.
the faster the film, the more you'll have to compensate it.

going through a roll of expired Supra 400 and rated it to 100 then might push it one more stop in processing.

favorite 35mm film stock?
Neopan 400 - once I'm out, I'll switch to HP5+ or Delta 400
Gold 200 - once I'm out, I'll switch to Portra 160 or 400

earldieta.comexternal link - flickrexternal link - tumblrexternal link - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Sep 09, 2014 18:58 |  #5

Probably a weird one... Delta 3200. It is my absolute favorite for street photography.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMattexternal link
Youtube:The PharmNerdexternal link

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Sep 09, 2014 19:06 as a reply to MattPharmD's post |  #6

i havent shot film in close to 25 years (i took quite a break from photography back in the day) but i mostly used Ektachrome 100/400, VP-S III and MILES of Tri-X pan...

the VP-S was a little flat but i always though the colors were very creamy. maybe part of that was the 160 ASA speed...

the 'chrome was very acceptable when exposed properly. maybe it was just our processing (Air Force) but i liked everything about 1/3 under. we had a brown "wood grain" processor (machine) with a tray across the top front where the loaded film reels went. then you selected a plug in board for whatever film you were processing. we had the same thing when i worked for Gannett (if anyone can think of the name of the machine)...

Tri-X was just a little bit grainy back then but it was all journalism and newspaper reproduction so we used it...

we used Pan-X in 120 for officer portraits in case anyone is curious :D

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 09, 2014 19:32 |  #7

Tri-x now

In the day Kodachrome 25 professional 135, Kodachrome 64 120, Tri-x 320 professional sheet film.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Sep 09, 2014 19:34 |  #8

Depends, for street Black and white I like Tri X 400, for portraits Tmax 400.

Color I like porta 160 for portaits and cheap fuji color 200 for street.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

rgregoryb
261 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Sep 09, 2014 20:54 |  #9

I used Fuji 160 ISO, can't remember the actual name

Leica D-LUX 4

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,450 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Sep 09, 2014 21:37 |  #10

Overall, I'd say that Kodak Tri-X was my most-used film and I processed it with Microdol-X, normally diluted 1:3 with water.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 10, 2014 04:25 |  #11

Colour was probably Kodachrome 25 then 64. If I needed more speed then Ektachrome. I did also like Fujichrome as well. Although it was E6 I seem to remember it came process paid, so was expensive compared to the Kodak, especially as I was developing it at home. For monochrome I really liked Ilford FP4 for nice conditions, but also shot a lot of HP5 when ASA400 was needed. I mostly used Patterson branded developer (Acutol I think?) as well as using May & Baker products. There was a May & Baker factory near where I lived, and if I had not joined the RAF I was considering applying for a Lab technicians apprenticeship there.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,453 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's your favourite 35mm Film stock?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.