Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

chrisinont
120 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 16, 2018 14:32 |  #19366

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,932 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 16, 2018 17:41 |  #19367

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,645 posts
Gallery: 1904 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

May 17, 2018 07:09 |  #19368

The days of a good working 7DII are all but gone for me now.. There's a good chance I will not replace it with another. Mine is now so difficult to make changes on the game is long gone before the camera is ready for the shot.. Makes for a challenging day out, so for the most part I just don't go out, and that has my buddy's more than a little frustrated as well. It still shoots if the light is good enough to run something auto.. but ya know thats just not me.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Pondrader's gallery.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Michael ­ Rumsey
859 posts
Gallery: 689 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2015

May 17, 2018 10:08 |  #19369

Pondrader wrote in post #18627159 (external link)
The days of a good working 7DII are all but gone for me now.. There's a good chance I will not replace it with another. Mine is now so difficult to make changes on the game is long gone before the camera is ready for the shot.. Makes for a challenging day out, so for the most part I just don't go out, and that has my buddy's more than a little frustrated as well. It still shoots if the light is good enough to run something auto.. but ya know thats just not me.

Definitely frustrating when you're used to shooting full manual.
So are you going back to you old 7D until you find a replacement?

"He's Just This Guy, You Know?"

Pondrader
13,645 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 6 days ago by Pondrader.

May 17, 2018 11:12 |  #19370

Michael Rumsey wrote in post #18627226 (external link)
Definitely frustrating when you're used to shooting full manual.
So are you going back to you old 7D until you find a replacement?

No Michael I'm not. I'm hoping to come up with a better plan. I'm going to give something else a try for a while see if anyone notices. I would like to make it through until Canon makes me something extraordinary  :p

flickr (external link)

markesc
922 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

May 17, 2018 12:05 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #19371

I think you could use just about anything as long as ya have the time/good glass, you'll net great results.

Nobody can tell or has commented on a diminished in quality when I got rid of my 5dIV and am back to using the 70d :lol:

Sort of like the guy in the Miata that out-drives a lesser experienced person in a much faster M3 on the track... no replacement for seat time/experience.

Lester ­ Wareham
26,435 posts
Gallery: 2268 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

May 17, 2018 13:13 |  #19372

Bank vole

IMAGE: http://www.ware.myzen.co.uk/GalleryPics/Photos/Wildlife/Rodents/wild%20bank%20vole%20A02_001_05-03-18.jpg

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Pondrader
13,645 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 17, 2018 17:10 |  #19373

markesc wrote in post #18627318 (external link)
I think you could use just about anything as long as ya have the time/good glass, you'll net great results.

Nobody can tell or has commented on a diminished in quality when I got rid of my 5dIV and am back to using the 70d :lol:

Sort of like the guy in the Miata that out-drives a lesser experienced person in a much faster M3 on the track... no replacement for seat time/experience.

I think your right Mark. I did notice your using the 70D. There are some things I would like to have on/in my camera.. but like you say, having the seat time is everything.
building your own skill set makes all the difference.

flickr (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
3,734 posts
Gallery: 371 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

May 17, 2018 23:10 |  #19374

Pondrader wrote in post #18627269 (external link)
No Michael I'm not. I'm hoping to come up with a better plan. I'm going to give something else a try for a while see if anyone notices. I would like to make it through until Canon makes me something extraordinary  :p

you could try an 80D, Im told files are very good, not sure about the rest of the specs. I often think of just using my 5DIII for everything but reach for me is very important and I have mobility issues with my ankles right now, so I take to just sitting and waiting with wildlife, its a pain. so far 7DII for me has been great but I dont think I've taken quite as many images as you :lol:

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

Pondrader
13,645 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 18, 2018 05:56 |  #19375

aladyforty wrote in post #18627659 (external link)
you could try an 80D, Im told files are very good, not sure about the rest of the specs. I often think of just using my 5DIII for everything but reach for me is very important and I have mobility issues with my ankles right now, so I take to just sitting and waiting with wildlife, its a pain. so far 7DII for me has been great but I dont think I've taken quite as many images as you :lol:

I really loved the 7DII, still do. It really was and is the poor mans 1Dx. I know lots of people still cling to the notion that the larger sensor's produce better images but if you look through a few threads here you begin to see the truth about real life wildlife imagery and just what can be produced with the APC sensor. It was very good to me and I await its successor. Hopefully its in the form of a full on 1Dx with a crop and buttons that can take a little mileage and use before they expire.

My first and my last 7DII's really out did themselves, They worked super well in lower light, terrible conditions for any camera, and the truth is those are the images people love the most. I never felt out guned standing beside any camera shooting wildlife.

I think I'm going to go back in time to a great camera and wait and see what comes out next for the future.

flickr (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
26,435 posts
Gallery: 2268 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

May 18, 2018 12:19 |  #19376

Hawfinch

IMAGE: http://www.ware.myzen.co.uk/GalleryPics/Photos/Birds/General/Finches/birds%20Hawfinch%20A01_002_07-02-18.jpg

male Wigeon

IMAGE: http://www.ware.myzen.co.uk/GalleryPics/Photos/Birds/Freshwater%20Birds/birds%20Wideon%20m%20A01_012_05-02-18.jpg

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sidknee
746 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 18, 2018 15:41 |  #19377

Pondrader wrote in post #18627756 (external link)
I really loved the 7DII, still do. It really was and is the poor mans 1Dx. I know lots of people still cling to the notion that the larger sensor's produce better images but if you look through a few threads here you begin to see the truth about real life wildlife imagery and just what can be produced with the APC sensor. It was very good to me and I await its successor. Hopefully its in the form of a full on 1Dx with a crop and buttons that can take a little mileage and use before they expire.

My first and my last 7DII's really out did themselves, They worked super well in lower light, terrible conditions for any camera, and the truth is those are the images people love the most. I never felt out guned standing beside any camera shooting wildlife.

I think I'm going to go back in time to a great camera and wait and see what comes out next for the future.

Mine's almost to the same point as yours, top wheel only registers 1 out of 3 clicks or so and the back wheel is going the same way. I've got a 7D to fall back on as well or the M5 for slow stuff but whatever is coming after the 7DII can't come soon enough.

Canonuser123
429 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 18, 2018 17:03 |  #19378

sidknee wrote in post #18628032 (external link)
Mine's almost to the same point as yours, top wheel only registers 1 out of 3 clicks or so and the back wheel is going the same way. I've got a 7D to fall back on as well or the M5 for slow stuff but whatever is coming after the 7DII can't come soon enough.

How much would Canon charge to fix it?

Pondrader
13,645 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 18, 2018 17:26 |  #19379

sidknee wrote in post #18628032 (external link)

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18628060 (external link)
How much would Canon charge to fix it?

O shoot Sid.. bummer. The thing is they replace the entire back or top of the camera... which I'm ok with just not sure its worth it on a camera with a ton of clicks on it.

I have to say I really tried to be super careful with mine after the first go round. I used it is all.. I know some will say wear parts... BUT my 7D is still working like clock work and Ive done in two 7DII"s now. If anything I think I was harder on the 7D buzzin that wheel around to look see and adjust.

flickr (external link)

Lame-Duck
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 18, 2018 19:32 |  #19380

Gaddies dropping in fast.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/972/41299831665_f6bcb01651_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25Vw​r6c  (external link) byMichael Sorsky (external link), on Flickr

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

sponsored links

4,901,584 views & 82,927 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.