Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 11:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Simple Magic Lantern question...

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Sep 25, 2014 11:18 |  #1

I've used CHDK on Canon point-and-shoot cameras and it does a great job of "enhancing" the functions of those cameras. CHDK resides only on the memory card without altering or replacing the camera's firmware *except* when the CHDK card is being used.

I'm thinking that Magic Lantern works the same way...??? No permanent change to the camera's firmware (a T2i/550 in my case)??? Simply take the ML card out of the camera and replace it with a non-ML card and I'm back to the OE firmware with no changes made to the camera itself???

Just wanting to be sure of what I'm doing before I try Magic Lantern.

Thanks!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
DutchinCLE
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Sep 25, 2014 11:19 |  #2

You are correct. it doesn't make permanent changes.

Bas
Flickrexternal link

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Sep 25, 2014 12:52 |  #3

Not quite true.

It actually does make one semi-permanent change to the firmware. It changes a "bootflag" in the the firmware to try to boot off the card. If it doesn't find the ML software on the card it just boots regularly.

In ML for my 5Dc you could run the install program again to change the "bootflag" back to its original state that doesn't boot from the card.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Sep 25, 2014 21:35 as a reply to WaltA's post |  #4

Thanks for the replies. I loaded ML up with no problems. Somewhere in my initial fumbling around with the menus I managed to delete HDR bracketing (something I'm interested in). :( It was gone. I ended up reformatting the memory card (and checking the "remove Magic Lantern" box) and then "updated" the Canon firmware to remove the "ML" addition to the firmware name. The results were that the firmware version name when back to the original name and I guess removed the boot flag. I then did another install of ML and got the HDR back.

It seems to be working pretty good, though I've there's lots of things there that I'm not familiar with. I think the HDR function will be worth the effort, if nothing else. I did find out that my T2i has 26k shutter clicks, so I should be "good to go" for a while. :)

Anyhow, it's something new to tinker with. ;)
Ed

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Sep 25, 2014 22:07 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #5

OK, I'm not sure how you 'deleted' the HDR, but in case you do that again, or with something else, there is a much easier way to get it back.

I can't remember exactly now - but you probably just hid it - there is a way of customizing the menu. The only thing you can do like 'deleting' something is actually the modules and that would be to simply disable loading them.

I know this doesn't tell you exactly what to do if it happens again, but might point you in the right direction.

As you found out though, it's pretty hard to really screw it up even with all the multiple firmware updates and things you went through.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Sep 26, 2014 07:46 as a reply to ejenner's post |  #6

Thanks for the feedback, ejenner. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Going back through the user manual I found a short "Display hidden menus" section. This is probably what happened but I certainly don't recall doing anything involving a configuration screen or anything....I probably discovered an undocumented feature. ;) If it happens again I'll definitely be looking for a restore/relist/whateve​r feature.

Yes, installing Magic Lantern was very simple compared to installing CHDK on a point-and-shoot. I went through the steps and thought to myself..."this is it...this is all I've gotta do?". :) I've still got a learning curve ahead of me as there are lots of things that I have no idea what they're for...but, I'll just avoid those things for now and tinker with what I want to. Simply for the shutter-count, expanded HDR bracketing, and the intervalometer ML is worth the price!!! ;) :lol:

Ed

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012
UK
Sep 26, 2014 07:50 |  #7

Intheswamp wrote in post #17178555external link
I've still got a learning curve ahead of me as there are lots of things that I have no idea what they're for...but, I'll just avoid those things for now and tinker with what I want to. Simply for the shutter-count, expanded HDR bracketing, and the intervalometer ML is worth the price!!! ;) :lol:

Ed

Ha! Me too, I've had ML installed for years now and I still only really use the HDR and intervalomter, I've had a play but I've still no idea of the benefits of quite a lot of the other options!

flickrexternal link Vimeoexternal link

sponsored links

1,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
Simple Magic Lantern question...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.