Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 13 Oct 2014 (Monday) 20:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which pocket wizards for HSS?

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Oct 13, 2014 20:17 |  #1

I want the simplest way to get HSS with off camera flash. I do not need wireless control (i.e. I can walk and change them). Am I correct in thinking that the Mini TT1 and the Flex TT5 will achieve this?

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 13, 2014 20:36 |  #2

I own PW tt5's .......junk!! antenna's are fragile and the shoes crack with no effort. The AC3 is super convenient but the misfires are not fun!!

Look else where for more reliable triggers. You'll have misfires with 580exii's or 430exii.

I lend them out to my brother as I resorted to using them for dummy triggers for studio strobes. Worst $1200 bucks of triggers I've ever spent in my life.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 13, 2014 20:50 |  #3

YN622c if you are using HSS capable speedlites. If you are using another kind of light it would help to say

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Oct 13, 2014 21:20 |  #4

I will be using speed lights and alien bees.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Sep 2008
So Cal
Oct 13, 2014 21:28 |  #5

I have sets of PW mini and tt5s to sell you I'd you're absolutely set on them. Just don't expect them to work beyond 15 ft in distance with speedlites. They do look pretty cool as paper weights.

Phottix or 622c are the ways to go.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com websiteexternal link ----- SportsShooter profileexternal link ----- Facebook pageexternal link

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 13, 2014 21:57 |  #6

benji25 wrote in post #17211384external link
I will be using speed lights and alien bees.

Just be sure that you understand that HSS is a speedlite thing and is completely different ftom hypersync, supersync or other methods of fooling studio strobes timing to get a similar effect.

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Tauranga, NZ
Oct 13, 2014 22:05 |  #7

Speedlites (Canon's brand) work fine in HSS with YN-622Cs, as does the YN-622C-TX.

ABs do not work with the 622C's fixed timing Supersync (= Hypersync). But they probably do with the 622C-TX's adjustable timing Supersync. (I haven't yet seen reports by users.)

You can find more info on the 622C products in TOYUG - link in my signature.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,069 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Oct 14, 2014 05:24 |  #8

I read a lot complaints and I can only write obtain your information at PocketWizard to read what you are doing wrong.

Cracked flash feet are there to protect the equipment to high impacts doing lots of damage. You can replace the feet yourself and you can spares for good price in the shops that sell PocketWizards.

After the new cooperation PocketWizard stepped even more the development for flashes and camera's.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,950 posts
Joined Jan 2005
S Yorks UK
Oct 14, 2014 11:49 |  #9

mmmfotografie wrote in post #17211808external link
I read a lot complaints and I can only write obtain your information at PocketWizard to read what you are doing wrong.

Cracked flash feet are there to protect the equipment to high impacts doing lots of damage. You can replace the feet yourself and you can spares for good price in the shops that sell PocketWizards.

After the new cooperation PocketWizard stepped even more the development for flashes and camera's.

But they're very expensive and they're prone to problems with interference.

Almost all the competition is cheaper and more reliable. I suffered a love hate relationship with mine, loved them because they were the only way to do what I wanted. Hated them because they were unpredictable.

The happiest time they gave me was when someone paid for them on Ebay so I could buy something better.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,069 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Oct 14, 2014 12:01 |  #10

Phil V wrote in post #17212388external link
But they're very expensive and they're prone to problems with interference.

Almost all the competition is cheaper and more reliable. I suffered a love hate relationship with mine, loved them because they were the only way to do what I wanted. Hated them because they were unpredictable.

The happiest time they gave me was when someone paid for them on Ebay so I could buy something better.

Yes in combination with a 580exII from Canon there is a problem that that flash is sending out a interference that disturbed the communication between PovketWizards.

You can compare it like having two babies crying next to your ears and you are asking yourself why you can not understand what your wife is saying.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Oct 14, 2014 12:12 |  #11

So it sounds like the votes go to yongnuo on this one?

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 14, 2014 12:25 |  #12

benji25 wrote in post #17212439external link
So it sounds like the votes go to yongnuo on this one?

For speedlites certainly.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Oct 14, 2014 12:44 |  #13

AlanU wrote in post #17211315external link
I own PW tt5's .......junk!! antenna's are fragile and the shoes crack with no effort. The AC3 is super convenient but the misfires are not fun!!

Look else where for more reliable triggers. You'll have misfires with 580exii's or 430exii.

I lend them out to my brother as I resorted to using them for dummy triggers for studio strobes. Worst $1200 bucks of triggers I've ever spent in my life.

You must be being really rough on them. I've had mine for years and they're in mint condition. I've even dropped them a few times (onto cement, to boot) and had the battery door come off —I thought them broken—, but it was easy to put it back into place again. Same thing with the shoes: I still don't like that they're plastic, but they've held together even though I tighten the knob real tight to prevent them from coming off the flash bracket and falling.

To the OP, yes, that PW combo will do what you want.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Sep 2008
So Cal
Oct 14, 2014 13:17 |  #14

Alveric wrote in post #17212512external link
You must be being really rough on them.

To the OP, yes, that PW combo will do what you want.

Well... i rarely use mine and the test button seized on my mini. Props to PW though; they replaced it quickly.

With 580EXii speedlites, I had to slip a ridiculous shield/sock on the flash. And even then, they'll fire intermittently.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com websiteexternal link ----- SportsShooter profileexternal link ----- Facebook pageexternal link

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Oct 14, 2014 13:55 |  #15

I'm lucky, I guess, I never had a 580EX. They work fine with my Metz, but, the Metz doesn't play nice with them in terms of HSS: past a certain speed I start getting the dreaded 'half the frame is dark' problem. The Canon 430EX-II does HSS flawlessly all the way up to 1/8000 with the PW's no problem. Go figure.

PW have their work cut out for them trying to reverse engineer and/or suss out most flash and camera makers' protocols, so some glitches are to be expected here and there: not really the fault of PW.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

4,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which pocket wizards for HSS?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.