Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 30 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 11:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge # 351: FLOATING

teekay
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 30, 2014 11:35 |  #1

Use this definition: something floating or resting on the surface of a liquid (i.e. not hot air balloons etc.). Could be anything from an ocean liner to a bug in a beer mug, so I hope you'll come up with lots of entries.

This challenge begins when posted, and will end at 8 a.m. Pacific time Wednesday, November 5, 2014. Winner of this challenge will be announced shortly thereafter.

Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Canon DSLR Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size - Please visit Image Posting Rules.
4. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & lens used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Keep it clean and both Family and Work safe.
8. Have questions, PM me.
9. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 8:00 a.m. Pacific time Wednesday Nov 5, 2014
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

sponsored links
Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Oct 30, 2014 12:48 |  #2

Rest peacefully within the void

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5604/15495448295_14177e5d1d_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pBhd​VD] (external link)

Canon SL1
Tamron 60mm f/2 macro
1/100th sec
f/2
iso 200
OOF exposure
28 August 2014

Jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Sibil
Goldmember
4,907 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Nov 04, 2014 13:21 as a reply to Jason C's post |  #3

What a waste of beer

T3i, Tokina 100/2.8, f/11, 1/100, ISO800

IMAGE: http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/Mirook/IMG_1805float.jpg

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
Temecula
Nov 04, 2014 15:15 |  #4

Lab Park

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3938/15527140600_90322cbef0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pE5D​WG] (external link)Lab Park (external link) by lovemyram4x4 (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 17-70mm
ƒ/7.1 17.0 mm 1/1000 400

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 05, 2014 10:17 as a reply to lovemyram4x4's post |  #5

RESULTS!

Thanks to you three entrants! I had really expected more as the subject seemed so simple, but maybe most EOS owners are busy earning money with their cameras, not posting for free in these challenges.

Jason, I'm still puzzled by your prompt starting entry. I thought at first that it might be a shot of the moon through cloud, but then noted it was apparently a macro shot. Enlighten us, please!

Sibil, I never expected anyone to take my suggestion of a bug in a beer mug literally, and I appreciate the effort to not only find a photogenic fly but the sacrifice of good beer (or maybe you drank it after removing the floater?)

lovemyram4x4, liked your clever shot. Do you actually have a home pool with a window? Or does California really have luxury parks and pools just for labs?

And the winner is...SIBIL! Sorry to stick you with running another challenge this week in addition to the G-series, but I do think your floater deserves it.

Sibil
Goldmember
4,907 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Nov 05, 2014 12:41 as a reply to teekay's post |  #6

Thanks for the nod, teekay. I am honored. I was also surprised by the lack of entries for this challenge. I was expecting to see many awesome shots. I had a few ideas that didn't work out so well, so when I noticed the lack of entries, as a last resort, I took your suggestion. I look for humor in shots and thought that would be a funny one. The hardest part was finding a dead fly. It took me close to an hour to find one. Then I had to manipulate it with tweezers as to not destroy it. No, I didn't drink the beer. I had to drive to work :lol:

I am puzzled by Jason's shot. Can't wait to read what it is. Also, by 4x4's shot. I really would like to know how it was taken.

I'll post the next challenge this morning.

Sibil
Goldmember
4,907 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Nov 05, 2014 12:55 as a reply to Sibil's post |  #7

New challenge is posted now.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
Temecula
Nov 05, 2014 13:37 |  #8

If you look at my avatar it should enlighten on how I took that shot. I have a lot more shots of things floating in water but not so many of floating on the surface with this set up. I have plenty of birds, boats and even bugs floating, etc on the surface taken from above the surface, but I wanted to use a different perspective. I could only find some shots of one of my Labs swimming in the pool for underwater or over/under. I also upload a shot from bellow but decided to go with the over/under shot.

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Nov 05, 2014 20:53 |  #9

Congrats Sibil! Nice composition LovemyRam4X4.

I present to you, the subject of my photograph:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Stand 3 meters in distance, balance the exposure with your SL1 with mounted Tamron 60mm macro, alter focus until desired effect is achieved. Rotate composition 90 degrees right, then run through no less than 5 image editing programs, tweaking and junk. Voila! Now you know what I shot.

Note: I have printed this in 5x7, along with two other OOF compositions for display in my soon-to-be-remodeled bathroom.

Jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links

1,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.