Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 17:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recent 70D purchasers...any focus/bounce flash issues?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 04, 2014 17:12 |  #1

Recent 70D purchasers...do you have any focus or bounce flash issues?

I would love to have one to work with but the stories of wide open focus issues and problems with bounce TTL flash underexposing has me freezing in my boots with the 70D sitting in the shopping cart. I know that all the cameras can't be bad, but I'm wondering if Canon has tightened up quality control and thus the chances are slimmer now of getting a bad copy.

I'm curious about people who have purchased a new (not refurb) 70D from a major vendor in the last month...have you had any of the issues mentioned above. Things are pretty tight financially for me right now and this would be a major purchase for me so I'm trying to get some confidence that I will get a good copy.

So...any reports from recent purchasers?

Thanks,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
Keyan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
Nov 04, 2014 18:10 |  #2

I think the bounce metering might be universal to the body.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Nov 04, 2014 18:16 |  #3

Shoot manual then you don't have to worry about TTL failing, also all EOS bodies focus with the lenses wide open. They don't step down till right before you actually take the picture.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 04, 2014 18:50 |  #4

Given the way cameras are sent through the distribution system the idea that you would get a good or bad copy of a given model (if such variation exists) by comparing vendors or distributors is down to luck.

I rather doubt that camera handles ETTL bounce any differently from other canon bodies.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
Nov 04, 2014 20:26 |  #5

maverick75 wrote in post #17252535external link
Shoot manual then you don't have to worry about TTL failing, also all EOS bodies focus with the lenses wide open. They don't step down till right before you actually take the picture.

Shoot manual flash???? Otherwise flash is always auto. My 70D does have some issues with flash exposures when bouncing or using a diffuser, my 60D provided much more consistent results, and a few tests with my 7D2 are also proving to be better.

Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM

Scoobert
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Nov 05, 2014 07:26 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #17252602external link
Given the way cameras are sent through the distribution system the idea that you would get a good or bad copy of a given model (if such variation exists) by comparing vendors or distributors is down to luck.

I rather doubt that camera handles ETTL bounce any differently from other canon bodies.

The 70D handles bounce flash MUCH different. Unlike the focus issue which is really random and an overall small number of bodies affected. The bounce flash issue has been seen in most of the bodies. Since canon refuses to even acknowledge the problem exist, I really doubt they fixed it.
Most are hoping that a firmware patch could solve it.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=1347702

According to canon, forcing you to use FEL is an acceptable work around for this problem and they feel no need to fix it.

Scoobert
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Nov 05, 2014 07:53 |  #7

Intheswamp wrote in post #17252418external link
Recent 70D purchasers...do you have any focus or bounce flash issues?

I would love to have one to work with but the stories of wide open focus issues and problems with bounce TTL flash underexposing has me freezing in my boots with the 70D sitting in the shopping cart. I know that all the cameras can't be bad, but I'm wondering if Canon has tightened up quality control and thus the chances are slimmer now of getting a bad copy.

I'm curious about people who have purchased a new (not refurb) 70D from a major vendor in the last month...have you had any of the issues mentioned above. Things are pretty tight financially for me right now and this would be a major purchase for me so I'm trying to get some confidence that I will get a good copy.

So...any reports from recent purchasers?

Thanks,
Ed

Canon has not acknowledged or "fixed" either issue.

The Focus Issue
With proper testing it is easy to identify and send in for exchange at any of the reputable dealers. Combined with the fact that in the total numbers sold of the 70D that a pretty small number have shown to have this problem. Even as one of the people who had a bad one, I wouldn't let the focus issue scare you away from this camera.

The Bounce Flash Issue
I think most have this problem from what I have seen. Canon really doesn't care about this issue or the fact that it affects most of the 70D's. As far as they are concerned you can use Flash Exposure Lock to get around it and they shouldn't be held responsible to supply you with a working camera when there is a work around to their bad firmware in place. If you HAVE to use bounce flash all the time you might want to look at a different camera. Again I have found this not to be to big of a deal, but then I generally just use a off camera flash with a YN-622. I found it to expose right the majority of the time.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 05, 2014 11:28 |  #8

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I know there's no way to know beforehand whether I would receive a good copy or not of the 70D. What I was hoping for was that Canon had made some adjustments in recent production runs and that people who had bought very recently were possibly seeing an absence of the problems due to those adjustments. It appears that there's a mixed bag of opinions regarding the issues or non-issues depending on who's holding the bag. ???

I'm still interesting in hearing feedback on recently delivered 70D's...

Thanks,
Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 05, 2014 11:40 |  #9

Thanks for the added info, Scoobert. I think I caught some of the discussion regarding your 70D(s). Bounce, for me, is important being as I use a good bit of bounce shooting gatherings where I'm moving around a good bit among the people. It seems that if I go for the 70D I would have to first clear the hurdle of the focus issue (and I use the viewfinder 95%+ of the time) and would end up most likely with a compromise regarding bounce flash. My interest is beginning to wain a bit.... :(

Ed

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
Nov 05, 2014 11:58 |  #10

Yeah, it is kind of annoying. Sometimes, I get really solid hits with the flash..and others, it is just maddeningly wrong. You can also use FEC and just jam it up to +1 or more, but just be careful because if it does meter a scene correctly it will blow it out. It seems to be something that Canon has been able to do well in the past, and can do well on other bodies, and nothing about the 70D's metering system is exotic, so I have no idea why it's not fixable with a simple firmware update. The fact that Canon hasn't issued ANY update to the firmware in 14 months on the market is kind of interesting, seems that they are just firing and forgetting anything lower than a XD line camera.

Scoobert
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Nov 05, 2014 12:17 |  #11

Keyan wrote in post #17253869external link
Yeah, it is kind of annoying. Sometimes, I get really solid hits with the flash..and others, it is just maddeningly wrong. You can also use FEC and just jam it up to +1 or more, but just be careful because if it does meter a scene correctly it will blow it out. It seems to be something that Canon has been able to do well in the past, and can do well on other bodies, and nothing about the 70D's metering system is exotic, so I have no idea why it's not fixable with a simple firmware update. The fact that Canon hasn't issued ANY update to the firmware in 14 months on the market is kind of interesting, seems that they are just firing and forgetting anything lower than a XD line camera.

And to that is the exact problem with the bounce flash on the 70D. Much like focus issue its not a consistent problem. It seems like it will meter under all the way up until you want it to meter under. :)
In my experience with it moving the FEC up made things worse. And eventually gave up and went to off camera.

iowajim
Joined Mar 2011
North Central Iowa
Nov 05, 2014 12:42 |  #12

I picked up a 70d about a month ago. I had bad luck trying to focus my Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 lens, of course it's a manual lens :lol:

I've used the MFA to dial in my lenses. Two were front focusing, but not enough to ruin a shot, and I was able to adjust them appropriately.

My flash metering seems fine. I don't tend to use my built-in flash, but I've been working on my two-flash portraiture lately. I use FEL of +1 to fill the histogram, but its consistent. I'm not sure if that covers the stated problem, but that's my experience so far.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

Scoobert
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Nov 05, 2014 13:38 |  #13

iowajim wrote in post #17253942external link
I picked up a 70d about a month ago. I had bad luck trying to focus my Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 lens, of course it's a manual lens :lol:

I've used the MFA to dial in my lenses. Two were front focusing, but not enough to ruin a shot, and I was able to adjust them appropriately.

My flash metering seems fine. I don't tend to use my built-in flash, but I've been working on my two-flash portraiture lately. I use FEL of +1 to fill the histogram, but its consistent. I'm not sure if that covers the stated problem, but that's my experience so far.

No the flash issue we are referring to is when you put a ttl flash on the top of the camera.
When you face the flash forward the camera will meter and expose correctly. If you turn the head of the flash and use it in a bounce mode the camera will not meter correctly. It will generally under expose the shot. Until you turn up the FEC, then it over exposes :)

Here is the bug thread and how to test for it.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​347702

nick620y
25 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Massachusetts
Nov 05, 2014 18:16 |  #14

I picked up a 70D about a week ago and it's been great. I haven't gotten the chance to take it out (thanks to clocks going back/weather) but I've been playing around with it in the house. I've tested both center point focus and bounce flash; both appear to be good right now. If it matters, ceiling height is < 8 ft and the lens I tried was f/2.8 (Sigma 17-50), though.

70D | 430 EX-II | 100-400mm L | 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-50mm

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,280 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 29, 2015 20:39 |  #15

With a suggestion from POTN'r apersson580, I believe this problem is solved. Use FEL to set your flash exposures with the 70D. It works like a charm. See: http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1442842&​page=9

Tom

sponsored links

3,196 views & 1 like for this thread
Recent 70D purchasers...any focus/bounce flash issues?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.