Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 05 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thoughts on Magmod light modifer from kickstarter

mooshu
78 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Toronto
Nov 05, 2014 14:17 |  #1

It seems like a pretty hassle free way to put on modifiers as they are held on my magnets.
Really digging the Gel system but they now have the Magsphere and Magbounce.
What do you guys think ? Next best gimmick? or do you think because of the material it's made of, it might be good defused light?

https://www.kickstarte​r.com ...users-by-magmod?ref=emailexternal link

7D2 l 6D l 5DM3 l Canon 100 Macro l Canon 16-35 F4L l Canon 70-200 2.8 II l Canon 24-70 IIl S35 1.4 |Canon 85 1.2 II | l

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 05, 2014 16:12 |  #2

Next gimmick that gives diffused light.

It can be both.

These things have limited use, but if it's useful for your kind of shooting, go for it. I will probably never own any of them, but fully expect them to get rich on it.

Also, sweet mola demi (with sock) placement as an attempt to legitimize their efforts.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,125 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 05, 2014 17:05 |  #3

Next big gimmick that will tell you somehow they found a way to get around the physics of light.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Nov 05, 2014 17:13 |  #4

Cree already has been producing the silicone mushroom for years. Funny to see people steal someone else idea.

I AM SHOM

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,912 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 05, 2014 17:15 |  #5

Its a different version of the fong scam.

mooshu
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Toronto
Nov 05, 2014 17:36 |  #6

I wonder if the magsphere can hold my soup in it lol

7D2 l 6D l 5DM3 l Canon 100 Macro l Canon 16-35 F4L l Canon 70-200 2.8 II l Canon 24-70 IIl S35 1.4 |Canon 85 1.2 II | l

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Nov 05, 2014 20:58 |  #7

they actually work quite well, easy to switch out, add grid, remove, etc. Much easier than any velcro or other some such attachments. I like them. Also getting their diffusers, never bought a Fong but have several others and like playing with these things. Fits into the system, they're soft and don't take up much space, works for me. And I don't have to switch out what's mounted on my flash.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,912 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 05, 2014 21:13 |  #8

Im sure they are easy to mount, but that doesnt make them an effective light modifier.

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Nov 05, 2014 23:34 |  #9

work effectively for me, doesn't mean they need to do so for you. Not sure what you're saying though. They don't work for me because they don't work for you??? Odd~

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,912 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 05, 2014 23:39 |  #10

phantelope wrote in post #17255135external link
work effectively for me, doesn't mean they need to do so for you. Not sure what you're saying though. They don't work for me because they don't work for you??? Odd~

That type of device doesnt do snything to increase the size of the light source. In a room with white walls and a white ceiling you get some bounce, but if you have that you dont need a diffuser. It does nothing to soften direct flash. Do some tests and prove it to yourself.

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Nov 05, 2014 23:40 |  #11

gonzogolf wrote in post #17254930external link
Im sure they are easy to mount, but that doesnt make them an effective light modifier.

I'd say their Grid and gels are effective modifiers. They have been getting great reviews.

Theses new things though...Meh. The "Mag sphere" is just more tupperwear to me. The "mag bounce" could be an ok replacement for the rogue flash bender (which is one small light modifier that I do love) but I wonder how well it really works, and how much light is lost, since it seems translucent.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,912 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 05, 2014 23:53 |  #12

gremlin75 wrote in post #17255142external link
I'd say their Grid and gels are effective modifiers. They have been getting great reviews.

Theses new things though...Meh. The "Mag sphere" is just more tupperwear to me. The "mag bounce" could be an ok replacement for the rogue flash bender (which is one small light modifier that I do love) but I wonder how well it really works, and how much light is lost, since it seems translucent.

I was only speaking to the new products, the tupperware stuff. That scoop thing is too small and curved edged to compare with a flashbender

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,125 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 06, 2014 08:46 |  #13

phantelope wrote in post #17255135external link

Don't take it personally. Dome style diffusers do not receive a warm welcome at this site. It is nothing against the product itself but it's real effectiveness based on the simple rules of physics and how they are often advertised. You can't spray light to sides, etc and get it to curve back in towards you subject.

The omni bounce does not have flashy (no pun intended) advertising but I'll use it as an example.

Omni from the dictionary - combining form meaning “all,” used in the formation of compound words. This tells me in every direction and bounce is self explanatory. To me the purpose of this device is to bounce off everything around you. This was what it was designed to do. As a stand alone it is still a small, thus hard light source. So in the correct conditions it does as advertised.

I have had conversations with people about using it outdoors and how it lights effectively. It can't as a stand alone. 80% or more of the light is sprayed all over the place. The surface area that actually directs light towards the subject is about the same as the size of your cameras flash head so there is little difference between that and shooting direct. You are better off just shooting direct and save battery power.

The Magmod we are taking about is also a bounce dependant device. Like Gonzo said it will be effective in a room with white ceilings and walls. The argument is that if there are walls and ceilings then we can rotate our flash heads, bounce and be just as effective. As a stand alone, very close up will help because it is bigger than your flash head, but not by much if you factor in how much surface area is lighting your subject and how much is spraying light all over the place. It's effectiveness diminishes very quickly as you move away from your subject. I once calculated that the effective surface area of the fong dome as a stand alone is about 3 to 4 times larger than your flash head. Not that much larger.

So if the product works for you great. I never care what anyone uses but the members here are not being critical of you. They will just explain what is supposed to do, and what it can't do. They do get a little put off by the advertising.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

SamFrench
824 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Pacific Northwest
Nov 06, 2014 11:19 |  #14

digital paradise wrote in post #17255576external link
So if the product works for you great. I never care what anyone uses but the members here are not being critical of you. They will just explain what is supposed to do, and what it can't do. They do get a little put off by the advertising.

I'm hoping that once the forum participants here get the camera gear manufacturers' claims under control that they then tackle some bigger problematic concepts that would appear to fly in the face of reality too:

- Free gift with purchase
- Free shipping

:p:cool:

keano12
125 posts
Joined Jan 2015
May 30, 2015 21:26 |  #15

It's lighter then the GF and puts out 2 stops more light so longer battery life.

sponsored links

6,025 views & 3 likes for this thread
Thoughts on Magmod light modifer from kickstarter
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.