Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 06 Nov 2014 (Thursday) 20:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Subject isolation with the 10-22 lens.

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 06, 2014 20:28 |  #1

I came across this photo while surfing flickr. I like the subject isolation and the way the car pops.

https://www.flickr.com ...avetoussaint/148392​07228/external link

From my understanding of zooms, a shallow dof results when the lens is set to a wide aperture (say f2.8) and a long focal length. But this photographer used his 10-22 lens at f10 and 10mm. And yet the shallow dof is very attractive.

So, is shallow dof a characteristic of the 10-22? I enjoy car show photography, perhaps I should put this lens on my Christmas list? :)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Nov 06, 2014 20:32 |  #2

The effect of a shallow DOF is because the photographer is quite close to the front fender/headlight. The wide angle lens makes the photograph appear to have been taken further back than it actually was.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Nov 06, 2014 20:58 |  #3

or it's just photoshop...look at the trash box thru the window...it looks to be in focus more than the rest of the background....also the antennae is blurred halfway up...

you're going to have a hard time getting that kind of isolation with a 10-22mm...the best you'd be able to get would be a 16-35 f2.8 on a FF camera...and even then it's not going to pop like that image, because in that image it's just the car that's in focus...things that are the same distance from the camera as the backend are blurred to all hell

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Nov 06, 2014 21:08 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #4

It because of post processing, not because of DOF. Some sort of blur filter or similar.

Andrew | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
D750, 24-70, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 70-200 VRII, 300 F2.8 AF
Founder of www.midwestautomotive.​net (external link)

yeamans17
Joined May 2007
Simsbury, CT
Nov 06, 2014 21:09 |  #5

Nogo wrote in post #17256753external link
The effect of a shallow DOF is because the photographer is quite close to the front fender/headlight. The wide angle lens makes the photograph appear to have been taken further back than it actually was.

DreDaze wrote in post #17256792external link
or it's just photoshop...look at the trash box thru the window...it looks to be in focus more than the rest of the background....also the antennae is blurred halfway up...

you're going to have a hard time getting that kind of isolation with a 10-22mm...the best you'd be able to get would be a 16-35 f2.8 on a FF camera...and even then it's not going to pop like that image, because in that image it's just the car that's in focus...things that are the same distance from the camera as the backend are blurred to all hell

I'd vote its a combination of these 2 things. Shooting a subject up close with a wide angle will give you some isolation, but at first glance the blur appears to be added in post.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Merseyside, England
Nov 06, 2014 21:11 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #6

Yeah, that blur has been done in photoshop. The distance view through the windscreen is sharper than the rest of the scene at the same distance, because the author didn't blur over that part.

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Nov 06, 2014 21:26 |  #7

You can see the photographer's shadow. He isn't that close. There would be more distortion if he were. Not bad PP though.

crbinson
602 posts
Joined Jul 2012
OKC
Nov 06, 2014 21:35 |  #8

Considering the EXIF indicates f/10 as the aperture setting and the photo is tagged with Topaz Labs...

My Flickrexternal link | My Gear List

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Tampa, FL
Nov 06, 2014 21:38 |  #9

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17256747external link
From my understanding of zooms, a shallow dof results when the lens is set to a wide aperture (say f2.8) and a long focal length. But this photographer used his 10-22 lens at f10 and 10mm. And yet the shallow dof is very attractive.

It's Photoshop, and it's obvious. They masked off the car and blurred the background, but didn't do the areas behind the windscreen and totally missed the antenna.

www.mikedeep.comexternal link | SportsShooterexternal link

jmai86
153 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Nov 06, 2014 21:45 |  #10

Just awful photoshopping.

You'd need a 24 1.4 or faster to get this sort of blur while also being wide. Even then, you'd need to stand fairly close to the car.

carpenter
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Green Bay, WI
Nov 06, 2014 21:54 |  #11

Nethawked wrote in post #17256827external link
Not bad PP though.

It's actually not very good at all.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 06, 2014 22:01 as a reply to carpenter's post |  #12

Thanks folks, for the comments.

I didn't think the pp was bad, as some said. Perhaps that's because I'm a casual photographer and don't have a critical eye.

snerd
Joined Nov 2010
Oklahoma
Nov 06, 2014 22:08 |  #13

Had to double-take on the word "windscreen". Never heard of it before. Windshield around these parts.

"Can't list equipment, wife checks here to see what I have bought lately" (calicokat)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 07, 2014 00:05 |  #14

snerd wrote in post #17256896external link
Had to double-take on the word "windscreen". Never heard of it before. Windshield around these parts.

It's often called a windscreen in England. A car's hood is called a bonnet.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 07, 2014 00:38 |  #15

Heya,

In this case, it's just post processing.

But the overall look of this image is very similar to the effect of medium format and large format, or in 35mm format, if you did a brenizer method panorama, it would look similar to this using that technique (to mimic medium format).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

3,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
Subject isolation with the 10-22 lens.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.