Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 19 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 17:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D lense mount problem.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 19, 2014 17:53 |  #1

I just received a used 6D I bought from a fellow POTN member. When I mounted a lens on it this morning I found that there is an apparent problem with the camera.

In comparing the action of mounting a lens on the 6D versus mounting the same lenses to my older T2i the 6D seems to be a much tighter fit (more effort involved in spinning the lens) and a louder(maybe raspy?) sound as the lens is turned to lock in place. Mounting the same lenses on my T2i results in a much smoother and quieter installation.

When installing a lens on the 6D it is easy to turn until the red dot approaches the small screw on that side of the camera. When it reaches that point it begins to tighten up significantly and requires more force to turn.

I tried installing all three EF lenses that I have on the 6D and all three lenses appear to do the same thing. These three lenses work fine on my T2i. After trying all three lenses I discovered that there is a burnished/rubbed-looking area in the vicinity of the camera's mounting ring that is close to the screw. There also appears to be "debris" (for lack of a better work) that is being left on the camera's mounting ring in that area. The debris (metal plating?) is easily wiped off so I'm not sure whether it's coming from my lenses or the camera's mounting ring. I've included a couple of images of the area that appears to be the problem.

Anybody want to venture as to what the problem is? This was a really major purchase for me and I'm thinking something is wrong here. The seller is stating that he had no problem with the camera. This is about to make me sick. :(

Thanks,
Ed

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7550/15642319969_f6127a73e4_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pQfY​KT] (external link)IMG_6493a (Custom) (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5605/15642974857_ce81ce6374_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pQjk​r4] (external link)IMG_6505a (Custom) (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
adas
Goldmember
1,494 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Nov 19, 2014 18:19 |  #2

I can confirm mine is also significantly tighter, compared to the 20D. And the feel of twisting the lens in is quite awful. L lens slips in very smoothly on the 20D. Bought the camera new.
Otherwise, this doesn't bother me much, as I don't swap lenses very often.

6D, 20D, G7X

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
Nov 19, 2014 19:16 |  #3

What lenses are you using? Are they dust/weather sealed?

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 19, 2014 19:56 as a reply to Keyan's post |  #4

Thanks for the replies...

adas, I don't mind the tightness of fit, I would think that could even be a good thing but it seems like the lens is going into a bind of sorts. The sound, though, and the debris bothers me in that it might be wearing the mounts on the lenses down and possibly will end up shedding flakes of "whatever" into the light chamber where the sensor is.

Keyan, the lenses that I tried on it are: 50mm 1.8 MKI, 100mm 2.8 USM Macro (non-L), and the low-end 75-300mm f/4-5.6. So no dust or weather sealing. The first one that I tried on the camera was the 50mm...it was tight. I then tried the 100mm and finally the zoom. I've removed all the lenses and placed the camera back in the box for now.

Ed

quickben
Fairy Gapped
Joined Mar 2004
Whitley Bay, UK
Nov 20, 2014 03:32 |  #5

Tilt the camera so you're looking across the mount horizontally. Does the area where it chafes the lens stick out any further than the rest of the mount ? If not, and the lenses mount fine, albeit a little snugly, I'd just concentrate on enjoying my new toy and stop worrying over minutiae.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 20, 2014 08:03 as a reply to quickben's post |  #6

The seller has offered to take the camera back so I will be returning it to him.

Ed

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
Nov 20, 2014 08:26 |  #7

I saw the black transfer and thought it might be the gastket from a weather sealed lens, which can sometimes happen between the metal mount and the rubber, but it might be plastic instead.

Very odd.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Nov 20, 2014 12:13 |  #8
banned

I bought a 6D new and did not have this problem. Then I purchases two new lenses: 17-40 and 35IS. Both of them were noticeably tight the first few times I mounted them. All is well after several lens changes.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 20, 2014 13:51 |  #9

The residue on the camera ring I think bothers me the most, the tightness I think I *might* could deal with but knowing that residue could make it's way to the sensor spooks me. The camera was stated to have less than 800 clicks on it (which I believe, it looks great), so I wouldn't think that there has been very many lens changes so it very well may improve over time.

I guess that investing that much money (for me it's a ton of it) I expected the "fit" to be a bit better. :(

Ed

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,450 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Nov 20, 2014 14:39 |  #10

Intheswamp wrote in post #17283887external link
The residue on the camera ring I think bothers me the most, the tightness I think I *might* could deal with but knowing that residue could make it's way to the sensor spooks me. The camera was stated to have less than 800 clicks on it (which I believe, it looks great), so I wouldn't think that there has been very many lens changes so it very well may improve over time.

I guess that investing that much money (for me it's a ton of it) I expected the "fit" to be a bit better. :(

Ed

Ed - this is one example why I only buy things like cameras and other fine tools new with a full warranty.

I suspect you could easily clean the camera's mount without getting anything inside the camera. Hopefully, the stuff that's deposited on the camera's mount is all that's causing you problems mounting a lens.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 20, 2014 15:56 as a reply to SkipD's post |  #11

Howdy Skip. Yes, from now on I'm seriously thinking of taking the warranty route. When I bought my T2i I picked it up used from a guy and it has been great, it worked out well.

Regarding the 6D, I thought I would help me and the guy out. He wanted to sell it and I was looking for one. Price was good, but not so good like he was trying to dump it or anything...a fair price. I'm wondering if the camera could have taken a hard knock on the ride down here...the box looked in good shape, though. I've got to admit the seller has been an upstanding guy about it all so I've got no issues with him, a good guy. The deal included some of the "package" items that some of the retail vendors have sold as a "kit"...monopod, bag, etc...thus I'm eating some shipping,..<groan>

Ah well, I just started tinkering with shooting some high ISO exposures so that will give me something to do while I mull my equipment situation over. :)

Ed

RileyNZL
Joined Apr 2013
New Zealand - Dunedin
Nov 20, 2014 19:56 |  #12

Newer bodies are almost always tighter fitting at first, by the looks of it your main problem is just a dirty mount. Tried giving it a good clean?

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Nov 20, 2014 22:53 as a reply to RileyNZL's post |  #13

The lenses are clean and the camera body had less than 800 shutter clicks and it appeared very clean. Probably would have loosened up some with use, as you and others have mentioned.

Dunedin...I had to check and see where that was located. You live in an incredible part of the world. Spent a few days in Queenstown and managed to make it to Milford Sound during my stay. Bungee jumped off of the Pipeline at Skipper's Canyon. Wonderful, beautiful, remote part of the world. I'm envious. :)

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Dec 02, 2014 08:38 |  #14

The seller was very gracious and understanding, a real stand-up guy. He tried his lenses again and they again worked fine on the camera. I'm really wondering about whether I have an issue with my lenses. I ended up ordering a 6D bundle from Adorama over the weekend so I guess I can test my lenses on a new camera and see what happens. In the meantime I picked up an 85mm 1.8 refurb from Canon that is still in the box...it will be the first lens that I try out.

Ed

driftyyy
77 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Groton, CT 06340
Dec 02, 2014 10:02 |  #15

Hey Ed,

I've noticed my 6D is noticeably more snug than other bodies I've used. I got mine new from B&H and it has no damage, so I wonder if it's in an effort to ensure weather sealing? It seems like some people do report the same concerns.

Gripped 6D | Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 85mm f/1.2L II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4A | Canon 430 EX II

sponsored links

3,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D lense mount problem.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.