Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Lenses
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 13:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS Images

vipergts831
I had the skinny Sony Fanboy over . . .
43,895 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX
Dec 01, 2014 13:10 |  #1

Lets see them!

-Omar- Flickrexternal link , 5pxexternal link
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,076 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by David Arbogast. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 23, 2015 23:17 |  #2

A first couple of snaps with the new lens...

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7500/16326350876_9723229123_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qSGP​jd] (external link)
The Liberty Memorial (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

David | Flickr (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Jan 24, 2015 09:01 |  #3

Looks good David! what are your initial thoughts on the lens? Thinking of selling the 70-200 2.8II

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,076 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jan 24, 2015 09:26 as a reply to mystik610's post |  #4

So far so good...those were snapped very quickly over lunch yesterday, so my evaluation period is just getting started. Today I am heading out for a little sight-seeing over in Topeka, Kansas, and will be giving it a good workout. Should have a lot better idea tomorrow. I'm also planning to shoot it against my EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.

I too am hoping to sell the Canon if the FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS passes the test. I'll be grading on a curve, because a smaller/lighter kit is what I am aiming for. My plan is to overcome the light-gathering limitations of the FE f/4 zooms (16-35, 24-70, and 70-200) by adding an a7S to my bag. Exploiting its high-ISO prowess will make up for the slower lens. Between that and three native fast primes (55mm f/1.8 + future 35mm f/1.4? + future 85 f/1.8 or 135 f/2) I hope to build a strong competent kit around the FE platform.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,076 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jan 24, 2015 21:04 |  #5

3-exposure, 2-stop HDR tonemapped in Oloneo Photoengine.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7399/16174034047_34d2f3e140_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qDf9​PZ] (external link)
Chronicles of Barnia (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,880 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Jan 24, 2015 21:17 |  #6

All excellent David. Did you have to covert the Sony raw files to .dng before running them through Oloneo? I wish SNS-HDR was brought up to speed by being able to process Sony raw files.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,076 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jan 24, 2015 21:41 as a reply to navydoc's post |  #7

Thanks much Gene! Photoengine is supposed to come with a plugin for Lightroom, but I've not been able to figure that out yet. So, I just exported the frames as 16-bit TIF files and opened them in Photoengine. BTW, that has to be the fasted HDR application by a long stretch.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,880 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Jan 24, 2015 22:08 |  #8

David Arbogast wrote in post #17398621external link
Thanks much Gene! Photoengine is supposed to come with a plugin for Lightroom, but I've not been able to figure that out yet. So, I just exported the frames as 16-bit TIF files and opened them in Photoengine. BTW, that has to be the fasted HDR application by a long stretch.

I used Oloneo during its free beta period but decided to go with SNS-HDR instead, mainly because of what I felt was better merging of handheld exposures.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,076 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by David Arbogast.
Jan 25, 2015 13:03 |  #9

This is from the second hangar at the Combat Air Museum in Topeka, Kansas. This hangar was a step down from the main display hangar in level of maintenance. Light levels were substantially lower as well.

The original capture did not include the light beams, but the image seemed to want them, so the beams and dust particles were added in Photoshop.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8600/16364128341_308202737b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qW3r​eP] (external link)
Grounded (external link) by David Arbogast (external link), on Flickr

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,076 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Feb 21, 2015 22:24 |  #10

Update: This is quite an excellent lens, but with some upcoming difficult buying decisions to make (5DSR, 11-24mm, a7R II) I have elected to return the lens to the retailer. I may re-purchase it later, but for now I'll just go forward with the FE 16-35mm and 24-70mm as my two native FE-mount lenses.

x.pozhr
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Chandler, Arizona
Feb 26, 2015 19:32 |  #11

David Arbogast wrote in post #17443242external link
Update: This is quite an excellent lens, but with some upcoming difficult buying decisions to make (5DSR, 11-24mm, a7R II) I have elected to return the lens to the retailer. I may re-purchase it later, but for now I'll just go forward with the FE 16-35mm and 24-70mm as my two native FE-mount lenses.

Sorry to see you go, David. I have always enjoyed your photos, going back to all the Zeiss ZE work.

I just picked up this lens (arrived today!), and am looking forward to years of enjoyment.

flickr (external link) Instagram (external link)
Gear List + Marketplace Feedback

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,076 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by David Arbogast.
Feb 26, 2015 20:55 |  #12

p360 wrote in post #17451542external link
Sorry to see you go, David. I have always enjoyed your photos, going back to all the Zeiss ZE work.

I just picked up this lens (arrived today!), and am looking forward to years of enjoyment.

Congrats! This is a wonderful lens and I was sorry to send it back. For now I just need to resolve where I want to go with my gear. A few weeks ago I had the idea of selling all my Canon gear and going all-Sony. But, I had very strong reservations on a couple items, so I made a hasty retreat to reconsider my path forward. Hopefully this excellent lens will be back in my bag soon.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Likewise I look forward to your work with the FE 70-200mm f/4.

x.pozhr
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Chandler, Arizona
Mar 10, 2015 20:55 |  #13

David Arbogast wrote in post #17451645external link
Congrats! This is a wonderful lens and I was sorry to send it back. For now I just need to resolve where I want to go with my gear. A few weeks ago I had the idea of selling all my Canon gear and going all-Sony. But, I had very strong reservations on a couple items, so I made a hasty retreat to reconsider my path forward. Hopefully this excellent lens will be back in my bag soon.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Likewise I look forward to your work with the FE 70-200mm f/4.

I recently did something similar. I had switched from Canon to Nikon about a year ago. Finally sold all my Nikon gear and went all-Sony. No regrets. So far. :-)

flickr (external link) Instagram (external link)
Gear List + Marketplace Feedback

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,076 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Mar 10, 2015 21:14 |  #14

p360 wrote in post #17469586external link
I recently did something similar. I had switched from Canon to Nikon about a year ago. Finally sold all my Nikon gear and went all-Sony. No regrets. So far. :-)

Hey, the new 35mm f/1.4 is going to feel like old times; it is reminding me of the Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35mm ZE. I hope it's even better. I had it pre-ordered, but canceled to wait for reviews and to really think it all out.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Mar 30, 2015 05:37 |  #15

Shot this Saturday at a cigar event at my local cigar shop on the a7ii

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

sponsored links

17,319 views & 35 likes for this thread
Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS Images
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.