Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 14:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Gear database corrections

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Boise, Idaho
May 27, 2017 18:19 |  #361

Thanks Pekka!

Samyang/Rokinon 12mm F2 (APS-c lens) would be nice to have added to the gear database.

Thanks!

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,822 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
May 27, 2017 19:26 |  #362

Thanks, Pekka!

Pekka wrote in post #18364392 (external link)
Will work on flashes and bags a bit later. Adding lenses and cameras will be a priority from now on.

If there is a requested digital camera or any lens missing, please inform me on this thread. I have not added any requested film cameras, nor they will be added. There will be a generic "film camera" gear item in the next version.

That seems like a lot of work that might be better spent on other issues. Why not give us an "Other" slot where we could enter info & maybe save it to our personal gear list?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
May 28, 2017 04:01 |  #363

idsurfer wrote in post #18364432 (external link)
Thanks Pekka!

Samyang/Rokinon 12mm F2 (APS-c lens) would be nice to have added to the gear database.

Thanks!

Added: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/gearinde​x.php?id=3501

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
May 28, 2017 04:27 |  #364

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18364481 (external link)
Thanks, Pekka! That seems like a lot of work that might be better spent on other issues. Why not give us an "Other" slot where we could enter info & maybe save it to our personal gear list?

I think I have explained this many times, but no, I won't let members add free-form gear, for tons of reasons. Some are:

- Fixed source data lists are not content that should be editable by anyone from outside.

- variations of names for same item are endless, so assigning them to be essentially the same item (id) when you list and search them will result to even more work and is prone to errors.

- each item in gear list is unique, this is how it works and should work.

- galleries and search features let you filter content by gear, the only way this can be done reliably and very fast is how it is done now, else it will become a mess. Now you can do things like
http://photography-on-the.net ...y.php?camera=274&le​ns=159 which shows a gallery with the correct lens and camera even if I changed their names to "Canon Vader III" and "70-200 Luke Walker". If you had dozen different user-input name versions of 70-200 ( 2.8L, f/2.8 L, f.2,8L, f/2.8l, mark II, MkII, MK2, mark 2...) without linking to one single unique id to define what it really is, the only way to find them would be to find them by name which I would not do, ever.

I'll add the requests for cameras and lenses fast from now on, that should work fine.

Now, everything that is done to the gear AFTER the id has been defined and basic parameters set, can be made to be edited by members. That includes specs, images, descriptions. I will make such tools available in the future, but when you'll see version 1.7 you'll understand where my time has gone and it is better spent now to finish it first and get it out before anything else.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,064 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Sep 2010
Orange, CA.
May 28, 2017 04:36 as a reply to post 18364392 |  #365

^^ Looking forward for the generic "film camera" gear in the next version. Thanks. ^^

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

warrick
Joined Apr 2005
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Aug 16, 2017 00:23 |  #366

Yongnuo YN24ex flash to be added

5D III | 70-200L 4IS | 24-105L | MP-E65 | Sigma 105mm Macro | Sigma 120-300 2.8 sport
flickr (external link)

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Sep 06, 2017 09:17 |  #367

Fuji 23mm F2 is a popular lens that could be added.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

Dlee13
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Sep 13, 2017 21:07 |  #368

Can we please get the Canon 6D Mark II added?

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Sep 25, 2017 03:49 |  #369

I definitely understand the enormity of undertaking the compiling and maintaining of such a vast database as photography gear. That is a monumental task and not a pleasant one at that. However, as has been mentioned by several others, you do have a ready resource of volunteers that can do the majority of the work for you. If you let each of the volunteers know what format and order to put the entries into they can do the research and compilation of data. All you would have to do then is give the returned lists a once over and add it into the database. In this way you can concentrate on the technical aspects of the database while the volunteer do the grunt work of collecting the data. You can divide the lists among several volunteers, for example, give one person the 'tripods' list, a second gets the 'bags' list, etc.

As for items not yet included in the database, perhaps adding an "Other" entry as a selection would allow people to avoid using the wrong information. For example, I use a large format camera at times and none of those lenses are on the list. There isn't even a close alternative. So rather than pick the wrong lens I could simply select "Other" and everyone reading the metadata information would know that it is a lens that is not available from the list rather than giving the the wrong info.

That said, here are some lenses I'd like to see added;

Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon w/ Synchro Compur No.00 shutter, 65mm, f/8
Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon w/ Synchro Compur No.00 shutter, 90mm f/8
Schneider-Kreuznach APO Symmar w/ Copal No.0 shutter, 120mm f/5.6
Kodak Ektar Graphic Supermatic shutter, 127mm f/4.7
Caltar II-N Copal No.1 shutter, 210mm f/5.6

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Oct 21, 2017 04:19 |  #370

Any update or ETA on when the 6D Mark II will be added?

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,073 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 02, 2017 00:03 |  #371

How do you delete gear off your own gear list?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Post has been edited 10 days ago by gremlin75.
Nov 08, 2017 01:26 |  #372

I noticed that mindshift wasn't an option in bags

Mindshift Gear:

Backpacks:
Rotation 180 professional 38l
Rotation 180 panorama 22l
Rotation 180 Horizon 34l
Rotation 180 Trail 16l
Backlight 26l
Backlight 36l
Firstlight 20l
Firstlight 30l
Firstlight 40l
Ultralight sprint 16l
Ultralight duel 25l
Ultralight duel 36l
Moose Peterson mp1
Moose Peterson mp3
Moose Peterson mp7
Trailscape 18l
Sidepath

Sling bag:
Photocross 10l
Photocross 13l

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
14 hours ago |  #373

The still newish Sony RX10 IV seems to be missing on the list. There's already a thread on it in the Sony forum. Members, including this one, are using it.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links

55,309 views & 88 likes for this thread
Gear database corrections
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.