Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 16:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Panasonic GX7

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Toronto, ON, Canada
Dec 01, 2014 16:37 |  #1

I've recently purchased a m43 camera for travel purposes... and I enjoy the convenience of the camera so much that I now have to make a conscious effort to take my SLR out of the closet and go shoot with it.

There are many (nice?) random shots that I would not have caught if not for carrying my little friend with me at all times (it's packed in my daily bag). SLR almost feels like a burden now. The quality is obviously not as good as my SLR, but I guess that's one of the trade-off...

Anyone else in the same boat?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
John57
157 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Dec 01, 2014 17:03 |  #2

Nice pic !

I have a 5D III and recently bought a GX7 - and love it ! It is so light compared to the 5D and IQ is great. I have added a GM1 as well - that is even smaller !!

I am likely to have it with me whereas the 5D will likely be indoors.

I am very impressed by the 'better' lenses for the GX7. I got it with a 20mm f1.7 and have added a 12-32 with the GM1. I already had a 45-175 from my older GX1 and a 14-42X (though I don't rate the IQ as much with this one).

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Dec 01, 2014 20:08 |  #3

The GX7 is still in my buy list but now I'm swayed by GM5.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Ken ­ S.
Joined Apr 2008
COVINGTON, LOUISIANA
Post has been edited over 3 years ago by Ken S..
Dec 01, 2014 21:42 |  #4

Luvin' my GX7.
Get's as much use as my GH3s.
A fantastic small camera.
I use my 7 everyday 20 ft high on a mast to shoot real estate.
Attach the 7-14mm...and let it rip.
Gets the job done quite nicely.

Cheers,
Ken

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7ll-A6000
Lumix GH3s---GX7

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Toronto, ON, Canada
Dec 02, 2014 10:55 as a reply to DarthVader's post |  #5

The GM5 is a very good camera, I tried it a few times. Has most of the awesome features I was looking for (silent shutter and viewfinders to begin with). But my main issue with it was the lack of grip.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Death Star
Dec 02, 2014 13:10 as a reply to Unrising Muffin's post |  #6

Yeah that true, the other thing that's a minor issue for me is the flash sync speed 1/50s.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

John57
157 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Dec 03, 2014 05:28 |  #7

DarthVader wrote in post #17302568external link
The GX7 is still in my buy list but now I'm swayed by GM5.

I went for the GM1 as it is far cheaper now - almost half the price in the UK !! + I didn't want an EVF and did want a flash.

TN ­ Args
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2015
Jan 10, 2015 00:30 |  #8

I made the jump 12 months ago. Cold turkey, too; sold my 7D and 5D Canon kit.  :p Not one single regret. In fact, the S100 I used for daily carry has also not seen any use since the GX7 hit the bag. (hardly surprising)

Which is not to say I don't wish for a few improvements, but the GX7 is so good at the fundamentals that I never look back.

Some things these cameras do better than DSLRs do. (It's not *only* about the size and weight.) Take advantage of their strengths and these cameras become a true alternative. OTOH if you focus on trying to exactly replicate DSLR functionality, you will be frustrated. Who needs that? :lol:

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Toronto, ON, Canada
Jan 12, 2015 11:59 |  #9

TN Args wrote in post #17374997external link
I made the jump 12 months ago. Cold turkey, too; sold my 7D and 5D Canon kit.  :p Not one single regret. In fact, the S100 I used for daily carry has also not seen any use since the GX7 hit the bag. (hardly surprising)

Which is not to say I don't wish for a few improvements, but the GX7 is so good at the fundamentals that I never look back.

Some things these cameras do better than DSLRs do. (It's not *only* about the size and weight.) Take advantage of their strengths and these cameras become a true alternative. OTOH if you focus on trying to exactly replicate DSLR functionality, you will be frustrated. Who needs that? :lol:

I've had the GX7 for a few months now, shot a few events, a few outings in the woods and found the picture quality to be just about right for my needs... in fact, my DSLR didn't come out once since I got my newer camera so I guess it is time to sell the expensive paperweights. :rolleyes:

Edwin ­ Harvey
395 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Caboolture, Qld, Australia.
Feb 02, 2015 03:00 |  #10

This 6 image panorama was taken with my Lumix Gx7 camera at Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island, Qld; Australia.

HOSTED PHOTO

321slash
38 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Feb 06, 2015 12:46 |  #11

I've been thinking of getting a GX7 as it seems to be the most compact yet full-featured camera out there right now. As a two year old camera, there's got to be a successor coming.

The LX100 has been intriguing me too with 4k video, but lacks a touch/tilt screen, pop-up flash, and of course, interchangable lenses (though for some, a fixed lens is preferable).

Put 4k internal recording on the GX8 and I will be a happy, happy man :D

Canonuser123
Joined Dec 2014
Southern California
Feb 06, 2015 14:03 |  #12

The one thing I don't like about the GX7 is the EVF, I wear glasses and the EVF washes out on me. I bought the add on eyecup and it is still a problem for me, I have to use my hand to block the sun from washing out the EVF. The camera is almost perfect for me in all other respects, great video quality and small enough to take just about anywhere.

"I don't like the direction this thread is going..." (LightRules)

Edwin ­ Harvey
395 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Caboolture, Qld, Australia.
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Edwin Harvey.
Feb 08, 2015 01:24 |  #13

Images taken early morning, with my GX7 @ Bribie Island, Qld; Australia. I'm really starting to appreciate this cameras capabilities. It's a great little camera for taking stills & video is also of excellent quality.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Mar 03, 2015 23:59 |  #14

The successor must be close because the price of the Gx7 just dropped and I just ordered :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Mar 10, 2015 14:46 |  #15

Edwin Harvey, if those pics were on Flickr I would instantly fav! Fanastic work.
Agreed this is an awesome little camera. I've been shooting a GH4 for a couple of weeks, saw this one on sale, knew I wanted a touch of IBIS for my
Oly 40-150 2.8, so jumped on it. Man am I glad I did-

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7625/16574357580_150974456b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rfBV​4S] (external link)Botany Bay Plantation House (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

14,631 views & 17 likes for this thread
Panasonic GX7
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.