Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 23:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS M, reviewed by lilkngster

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND lilkngster (showing now: lilkngster)
Overall Rating6.5
Overall Image Quality6.5
Value for Money8.5
Must Have5.5
Suitability to Intended Use5.5
Got What I Expected6.5
AF Performance2.5
Handling and Ergonomics7.5
User-interface6.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS M

lilkngster
Joined Sep 2010
NJ
Dec 01, 2014 23:38 |  #1

Quick review based on my ratings and why. 5 is an I don’t care, 1 is really negative, 10 is really positive.

Overall Rating 6.5. I like it more than I don’t like it, but that’s because of ML(Magic Lantern). I used it a lot at first, but now it only really comes out when I want to use fast MF lenses. For me, if I want to go small and out, I’d rather grab the Fuji x20 than the M+22mm.

Overall Image Quality 6.5. No surprises here. I will give a better score in my t2i review, when I first saw images from an 18mp aps-c sensor!

Value for Money 8.5. Got it during one of the US fire sale. This category is where the M, at least from those who picked it up at discount, should do the best.

Must Have 5.5. By itself, it is kinda blah. It can make some nice pictures, but overall, its a lot harder than it should be. It is cool that you can put all your EF/S lenses on it, but the only photographer that I would say the M is a “must have” is one who really likes manual lenses. Focus peaking with ML and f/1.2 glass is so much easier than through a viewfinder and the M maximizes cost/sensor area/IQ.

Suitability to Intended Use 5.5. It is suitable for my use, but I do not use it as Canon had intended.

Got what I Expected 6.5. I knew about the AF before getting it, just did not think it would be that not so good.

AF Performance 2.5. Mine came with the firmware improved AF. Its not horriible, but coming from some of the better AF systems, this one takes a while to get used to. When it works, great, but sometimes, it just hunts in scenarios which I would not consider that bad. It hunts enough that I can actually hear the sound in my head as I type this, and I haven’t touched the camera in months.

Handling and Ergonomics 7.5. I got small Asian hands. A lot of the hand holdable electronics from Asia seem to fit my hand size quite well.

User-interface 6.5. Its all touch screen driven. For AF that works out nicely, but for changing settings regularly, it can be a pain.

THM:

I originally got this with the 22mm, on the cheap, as a “pocketable” 35mm equivalent walk around. I had no intent in buying anything else other than some cheap 3rd party adapters. I ended up at least trying the EOS adapter, the ef-m 11-22mm, and the ef-m 18-55mm. After all that, I have the most fun using it in live view focus peaking with fast manual lenses and seeing how thin the DOF really is.

80d and 1dIII|lenses from 8 to 400mm

warrenl
21 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Dec 25, 2014 08:10 |  #2

Pretty fair review

My M also sits unused for long periods of time. Use it when I don't want the weight of my 1DX's

Maxdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Maxdave.
Jan 01, 2015 07:53 |  #3

I have to say this: if you have large hands and stubby fingers (if a 1D feels good to you, then you probably do) then an EOS M is a nightmare to use, unless it is locked down on a tripod, and you can basically poke the screen ... and that kinda defeats the reason for having one. I think it's hard to use hand-held, and impossible in some configurations.

I got mine cheap ... camera, 18-55, 2 batteries, 90EX flash and 3rd party lens adapter, all very lightly used for $250. I keep it basically as my APS-C 1.6X crop to mount on a tripod using a Sigma 8-16mm and Rokie 8mm fisheye. If my trials using these lenses on my 1D4 work out, then my EOS M will be sold, as fast as I can move it. I'll keep the 90EX; it's a great little flash commander, at least indoors ... never tried it outdoors.

It's not a bad system, just not suited for everyone ... and I'm one of those it is not suited for ...

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jan 03, 2015 14:11 |  #4

warrenl wrote in post #17350095external link
Pretty fair review

My M also sits unused for long periods of time. Use it when I don't want the weight of my 1DX's

lightweight small mirrorles models are good for traveling, with the AF was better

2,002 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS M, reviewed by lilkngster
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.