Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 00:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 6D, reviewed by Mark0159

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Mark0159 (showing now: Mark0159)
Overall Rating8.5
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money9.5
Must Have9.5
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance9.5
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface10
photo by johntorcasio
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 6D

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,683 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Mark0159. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 02, 2014 00:22 |  #1

This is a very good camera. I keep thinking that I should replace it with something like a 5Dmk3 but then I go to use it and remember it suits my needs just fine. I shot landscapes and macro photography. No sports.
The centre AF point is great, in very low light it can simply get focus lock. When you test it out for the first time and can hardly see the subject yourself but the camera has focused you think wow. Then you press the button then find out the shutter speed is too low. Ooops :)

There is a couple of things that let the camera down. The outer focus points aren't cross type and this is a shame. it's not that I would have liked more as I had come from the 40D and this camera had 9AF points all crosstype. this camera came out a number of years later and only one crosstype. It would be nicer to have 4 extra AF points.

I can't fault the image quality. You can get stunning photos from this camera.

For the price you pay and the fact that it's a full frame camera it's a great camera to use. Love the size of it. the menu is typical canon which I don't mind.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Dec 25, 2014 11:57 |  #2

perfect scores in most categories

a perfect camera !

(until the 6D2 is introduced)

tyr-sog
Joined Jun 2014
Dec 26, 2014 08:15 |  #3

I've noticed another thing with the 6D. I like to watch the trends of the used market with the equipment I own. I rarely see them for sale on forums. It seems people just hang on to them.

Justin
Fujifilm X-T2
~Fujinon XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS

Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Dec 26, 2014 20:04 |  #4

I love my 6D, but I don't know that I would agree that it's not suitable for sports.

I've shot professional football, motorcycle racing and car racing with mine, and I don't have a single complaint.

I keep waiting for the prices to dip a bit, because I'd like to replace my 5D with another 6D as my backup. I can't even say the prices are too high on the used ones. It's more due to the fact that I just don't see them for sale...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,683 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Dec 27, 2014 01:38 |  #5

thanks for the comments. it means someone is reading my review. nice :)

I don't do sports so I haven't used the camera for that but I can't see why I can't. sure the FPS isn't the fastest but the 10D was only 3 FPS and this is more. granted it's 1.5 FPS but still that's extra 2 frames every 2 secs. It's all about understand how to use the camera.

I can understand why people don't sell the camera, it's a cheap setup with good results.

I would guess that the price would drop once the Mk2 comes out. I do have a feeling that it's not going to hold it's own price like the 5Dmk2 did.

Mark
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 05, 2015 11:20 |  #6

I went from:

7D.....sold it
7D....again then sold it
5D3....sold it
5D3....sold it
6D...thought i would be satisfied and i am in regards to IQ but i trully miss the fast AF of 5D3. I dont really care so much about FPS but i do very much want a AF that LOCKS! Quick!!!! Also wish it came with atleast 9-11 cross type AF points spread out generously. I feel like i will soon pickup 5D3 again or 5D4 or 1DX if the force is strong with my impulse buying mood Haha! :-D

britinjapan
Joined Oct 2011
Tokyo
Jan 07, 2015 07:08 |  #7

Fantastic AF in low light, but agree its a simple AF system. ISO tremendous. A great camera for the money

Canon 6D, 35mm F2 IS, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 135mm F2L, 24-70 F4L, Tokyo, Japan

Wifuzzy
Joined Dec 2014
Dauphin Canada
Sep 26, 2016 02:54 |  #8

Road Dog wrote in post #17352012 (external link)
I love my 6D, but I don't know that I would agree that it's not suitable for sports.

I've shot professional football, motorcycle racing and car racing with mine, and I don't have a single complaint.

I keep waiting for the prices to dip a bit, because I'd like to replace my 5D with another 6D as my backup. I can't even say the prices are too high on the used ones. It's more due to the fact that I just don't see them for sale...

More or less agree. My 6D will be missed. And I shot hockey, football and rodeo with mine. But the frame rate was was just to slow for fast action. Missed to many shots. Image quality was great. ISO performance was good. Focus is not as bad as some would lead you to believe. But it just needed a couple more frames a second.

VanessaMariePhotography
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 25, 2016 11:02 |  #9

This is good to know as I'm getting ready to sell my 5dmkii to upgrade to the 6D :)

hoorayswag
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Oct 27, 2016 19:46 |  #10

Been torn between a 5d Mk 2 and a 6d and seeing reviews like this I can't decide are helping or hurting

Mark0159
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,683 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Oct 28, 2016 01:20 |  #11

I wrote this review a couple of years ago when the forum added it's new features. The camera is coming end of life and there are rumours that a new camera is going to show up at the start of the new year.

If I was going to look at a new camera today I would more than likely go for the 5Dmk3. My eyesight isn't the same as it was a couple of years ago and to I don't trust my eyes 100% to be able to get manual focus for macro shots just right. This means I am relying on the AF more than ever. for some unknown reason the 6D and the 100 Macro non L focusing isn't that great. Since I love doing macro I kinda need a AF that would just work.

When I am shooting everything else then this camera still works 100%.

If you are going to choose between the 5dmk2 and the 6D I would go for the 6D every time. Despite the AF issues as above, the camera is way better. the low light performance of the centre AF point and the sensor itself is more than enough to consider over the 5Dmk2.

This camera is still great. If/when the 6Dmk2 comes out I would find it hard to find a real reason to upgrade. I am considering upgrading to a 2nd hand 5Dmk3 and even then I go back and forward over the decision. The DR improvements aren't enough to justify an upgrade. Since I am shooting in more in a controlled fashion and if am any good, I should be able to get the exposure correct first time rather than relying on any post processing.

Mark

Greg ­ K.
Joined Nov 2010
Nov 02, 2016 09:34 as a reply to Mark0159's post |  #12

I really like my 6D, looking forward to seeing what the Mk 2 brings.

Canon 6D | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 100-400L II | EF 40mm f/2.8 | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
Canon T2i (Ha modded) | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF-S 55-250 IS
Various telescopes

lgormley
22 posts
Joined May 2008
NJ
Nov 02, 2016 13:58 |  #13

Wifuzzy wrote in post #18140616 (external link)
More or less agree. My 6D will be missed. And I shot hockey, football and rodeo with mine. But the frame rate was was just to slow for fast action. Missed to many shots. Image quality was great. ISO performance was good. Focus is not as bad as some would lead you to believe. But it just needed a couple more frames a second.

It seems that most of the complaints against the 6D's focusing system revolve around the fact that it is not as fast or responsive as those on other bodies like the 5D (III/IV), 1D (IV/X/X II) or 7D (I/II). Once you get used to that sort of focusing speed, it is difficult to adjust to a camera with slower focusing. On the other hand, the 6D had the highest sensitivity AF point of any Canon body up until the 1D X mk II and the 5D mk IV.

I've used the 6D for various college sports including football, soccer, baseball, volleyball, basketball, and swimming. Even with only using the center focusing point, the body would miss focus fairly often on moving subjects. This was even after adjusting the custom AF settings and sending the body to CPS for service. While I think my copy may have been particularly bad, I have noticed that others have similar issues. I was able to get better results after getting used to the 6D, but it's not quite as capable at fast focusing compared to even a 40D.

In summary, you have to make the camera work for you. In most cases, it will not be a problem, but that's one of the many reasons why so many camera variants exist.

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Cormac.
Nov 24, 2016 19:35 |  #14

I'm thinking of selling my 80D I just picked up in august to fund a 6D. But I don't want to part with it. I do want a full frame camera, however. Mainly for the higher ISO performance. I worked a ton of OT to be able to buy that as well as my new 70-200 f/4 L IS. So why not work a bunch of OT next year as well to fund a 6D? Afterall I do love my 80D and it's great for shooting action. It's 45 af points, all crosstype. But I still use the center 95% of the time anyway. It's just easier than switching all the time.

I was originally considering a 5DmkIII, but after reading this and countless other reviews on both bodies, I've come to the conclusion the 6D would be a nice addition to my bag. Plus the grand I save would be better spent on L glass! Again, the OT comes into play.

Who knows maybe the 6DmkII will be out by the time I have enough for a regular 6D and I'll just save a bit longer for that!?

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

sleepingsheep
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Dec 12, 2016 12:39 |  #15

Thanks for this info, guys. :love::love::love:

sponsored links

4,745 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 6D, reviewed by Mark0159
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.