Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Accessories
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 13:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wireless remotes

cozmo2312
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2008
Salt Lake City
Dec 02, 2014 13:37 |  #1

Can anyone recommend a good wireless remote with an intervelometer and a shutter lock (like if I have the camera at 30" shutter and continuous shooting, it'll lock the shutter and shoot 30" exposures until I release it.. Think star trails).

I've got a cheapy from Amazon but it's only a trigger. And only semi reliable at best.

Camera is an A7r.. Thanks.

|Sony A7r|Rok 14 f/2.8|24-105 f/4L|40mm f/2.8|Metabones IV|
flickrexternal link
My Prints for saleexternal link

sponsored links
xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Dec 02, 2014 16:53 |  #2

I thought there was an intervalamoter app you could download into the camera?

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Sony 2.8/90

cozmo2312
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Salt Lake City
Dec 02, 2014 23:35 as a reply to xpfloyd's post |  #3

I haven't figured out how to use any of the apps.. Lol clueless.. Where do you download them?

|Sony A7r|Rok 14 f/2.8|24-105 f/4L|40mm f/2.8|Metabones IV|
flickrexternal link
My Prints for saleexternal link

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Dec 06, 2014 05:52 |  #4

cozmo2312 wrote in post #17307230external link
I haven't figured out how to use any of the apps.. Lol clueless.. Where do you download them?

Sorry mate I forgot to click follow so hadn't realised you had replied. I done a bit of digging and as far as I can see there isn't an app that would do intervlamoter. There are some wired remotes that do it but haven't found a wireless option yet

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Sony 2.8/90

canadiantowman
37 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by canadiantowman.
Dec 06, 2014 10:42 |  #5

The only one I have seen is by http://shop.triggertra​p.comexternal link , had one for my 6D and it did what I wanted to do.

It's not wireless though.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,490 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Dec 08, 2014 11:09 |  #6

cozmo2312 wrote in post #17307230 (external link)

you need to sign up for a sony digital account (think playstation online gaming). Then you connect your camera to a wifi nearby and login. it's pretty simple, and the remote actually saved my butt on vacation. The IR remote is limited to only a few feet, however I had to stand really far away to create a shot like this:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7559/15775957138_1c3b7fcd29_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/q34U​r1] (external link)Mamma and baby bear (external link) by charlie617 (external link), on Flickr

the remote trigger app kinda sucks since you cant bracket, but super handy in a pinch. If you have NFC on your phone, put the phone up to the camera, and presto, app activated on camera and phone, ready to shoot remotely. Much more range than the IR remote.

there is a timelapse app and even a startrails app. I've considered the timelapse, but dont do it much, so will reconsider later. Nice to have these features in camera, one less gadget to carry around.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

*Jayrou
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Jersey UK
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by *Jayrou.
Dec 11, 2014 09:14 |  #7

Hi , not sure if you are aware of Hahnel... based in Ireland

I used to use their Giga T Pro on my 5Ds which they have now made compatible with the Sony A7 range... Its not cheap but its the best Remote Ive used - I even dropped the transmitter in the sea last week and it carried on working..:-D - 100 Meter Wireless range Etc

http://www.amazon.com ...ords=hahnel+giga+t+​pro+iiexternal link

Be careful of old stock being sold as its only been a matter of weeks since the new and A7 compatible stock came out... Saying that , Hahnel told me all is needed in that case is the S2 cable, I bought a spare from HK Sellers on Ebay and they work great.

Does everything you ask , one thing I will say it now comes with a weird connector so you will need that Sony Multi interface adapter to be able to sit the receiver in the hot-shoe.

James
Flickr external link
Websiteexternal link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 11, 2014 09:42 |  #8

http://www.amazon.com ...ot-Replaces/dp/B003Y35VJAexternal link

I don't have the intervalometer, but I have their radio remote.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Tareq.
Dec 22, 2014 19:04 |  #9

I have the wireless intervalometer from Vello i bought from B&H, then someone pointed me to get "S2" cable and i did from eBay and Viola, working like a charm!

I am thinking to buy one more S2 cable just as a backup and also to buy another intervalometer, i will keep one for Canon and the other for Sony as i hate to swap between them in my small bags for each when i go outdoor, i don't carry big bags, and also to make one as a backup, who knows when i may damage/lose the current one then i can't wait to get another for something i can't miss to shoot urgent.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

3,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wireless remotes
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.